PDA

View Full Version : New User Has Trouble Drilling

vlight
01-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm on my first day of learning this program and I'm stalled at the point where I try to drill holes in text. I'm using a remarkably simple text (very boxy) but every time I try to drill I get an error message "Unable to regenerate contour". I'm copying the polygon by selecting at the boundy of the "hole" I wish to remove (selecting within the text doesn't let me select anything) I cut the polygon then I paste the resulting poly to a new layer and use it as a template to perform the drill. Alas the dreaded error message. I appreciate any help from a seasoned veteran (which is virtually everone except me).

Jim

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 02:18 PM
vlight,

From what your saying, I think I understand the problem.

If edges of your drilling template align exactly with edges of the polygon being drilled, this is going to happen. You will need to add some offset to the edges of the template or the polygon in order to get past this.

If I'm not being clear enough here, or if this is not your problem, attach an image or two, and I'll see if I can help your further.

vlight
01-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks Kurtis,

I managed to cull that information from searching through this forum. I was able to accomplish the drill with one character but the other still brings up the error message. Very strange and frustrating. Any other ideas?

Jim

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Are you using Drill or Solid Drill? I'm guessing that you're using Drill.

Sometimes this makes a difference for me. Cut and paste the polygons you want to drill into a new layer and then perform the Drill operation.

Also check to make sure you don't have any overlapping polygons (one right on top of the other, in the object you are attempting to perform the Drill operation on.

vlight
01-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Kurtis,

I am performing a z axis drill (not a solid drill) and cutting the polygon, offsetting the z axis and pasting into a new layer then selecting that layer as a template. I then perform the drill and then the error message appears.

As I said, when I tried doing the drill one character at a time I was able to successfully perform the action on one of the characters but not the other. The "A" worked, the "R" didn't.

Jim

vlight
01-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Wait one second...

I just used the tripple tool and subdived the "R" poly, tried the drill and then it worked!

Jim

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Ok. Glad to hear it. In that case, it sounds like you may have had a non-planar polygon interferring with the operation.

vlight
01-22-2005, 05:05 PM
To make my frustration complete I'm unable to do a screen window grab that shows the letter...it shows everything else except the polygons. However, I belive it's obvious that I'm trying to drill the holes out of the letters. Again I was successful after using the triple tool and again trying the drill...a procedure that was given in the error box but I had no idea what it was until it dawned on me that "triple" must be a tool.

After finally drilling the letters, I tried an extrusion that left several letters mangled. Again I tried the triple tool and performed the extrusion perfectly.

I'm a little lost regarding offsetting the "hole" on the y or x axis since this will ruin the appearance of the letter.

I'm now off to bevel and julienne...god help me.

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Could be off, but this does sound like an issue of non-planar polygons to me.

Some things you can try that might help.

While the text is still a 2D object, remove any extra points that aren't really necessary to the shape.

After you extrude, do a Set Value for the points on the positive and negative ends of whatever axis your text is extruded along.

Do a Merge Points, to make sure you don't have any overlapping points.

Do a Unify Polys, to make sure you don't have any overlapping polygons.

vlight
01-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Kurtis,

I can say with a certainty that there are no extraneous points in the 2D letters. When I attempt to reduce the points, even at the low setting, it reports no points removed. Again, this is a font that contans only right angles and absolutely no curves. This is what is really frustrating...what kind of problems am I in for when I import an epsf that is much more complex?

The triple tool looked like the answer but when I went to bevel, each triangle in the letter took on the bevel leaving me with unacceptable results.

I got this software primarily to do logo animation...did I make a mistake?

Jim

vlight
01-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Kurtis, one other thing...when I perform an extrusion, some of the letters get mangled on the back face. I assume these characters also have non-planar polys. If only there were a tool that made non-planar into planar I believe I could get on with my life...

Jim

vlight
01-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Here's what I'm talking about...note the "I" and "T" back faces...

Kurtis
01-23-2005, 01:15 PM
vlight,

No, I don't think you made a mistake getting LightWave for logo animation, and I don't just say that because I work for the company. :)

I think you're just running into some indiosyncracies of working in the software that you're not use to yet.

Tell you what. To get to a more direct answer, let's do this. Email me your object file and I'll take a look at it. I think I already know one of your problems based on your image, but this might be faster all around.

vlight
01-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry,

But I don't see a way of getting your address. Tell me where to look or send your address to mine...

Jim

Kurtis
01-23-2005, 01:41 PM
vlight,

Sorry. Didn't realize I had the email option turned off. I got the message you sent to webmaster though, and I've replied to it.

AaronKent
01-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I think you might be seeing some open GL errors there. I see those polygonal errors alot in modeler and Layout while I'm working (particularly with text) but you'll find that if you do a render (even lowres) you'll find it's just a display error and not a geometry problem. Hope this helps.

Aaron Kent

prospector
01-24-2005, 12:07 AM
I get those kind of Letters when doing some kinds of fonts. They are true polys and not OGL errors.
The way to get rid of them is to

A; if you don't need the rear of the letters (will never face camera) delete them

or

B; take the knife tool and just do a cut somewhere on the part that is not right.

As in your 'T' make the cut at the widest spot of the bad poly. The bottom of the 'T or I' uprights.
It will straighten out.

Don't know what makes them do that, but I can cut and paste them, they don't show up as non-planer in the poly info window, just regular polys.

Kurtis
01-24-2005, 06:58 AM
I spent some time working with vlight on this yesterday off forum.

It was a point order problem that occurs from time to time and is not uncommon when working with text. He simply hadn't run into it yet, but he's up and running now.