PDA

View Full Version : .dxf import from QCad (CAD)

potempkin
01-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Does anyone have any experience importing a .dxf file from QCad? I've tried importing a set of architectural plans which I created in QCad, but Modeler encounters an error each time, saying there was an "Error reading file...".

I've tried saving the .dxf file in both "DXF 2000" and "DXF R12" format, but both cause the same error in Modeler. Neither the native LightWave .dxf import (i.e. "Load Object..."), nor the DXF import plugin available from D-Storm are successful. :(

If it makes any difference, QCad is a 2D-only CAD program. I believe that standard CAD programs such as AutoCAD are 3D. Could this be the issue?

Here's what I'm using: LW 7.5(no letter), Mac OS X 10.2.8, QCad 2.0.4.0 Professional

BeeVee
01-22-2005, 10:04 AM
The DXF importer with LightWave isn't suitable for 2D DXF files. Have you got an EPS exporter in QCAD? Yolu can import EPS files with no problem...

B

potempkin
01-23-2005, 10:39 AM
No, unfortunately, QCad has no EPS export function. It only has exports for standard bitmap formats such as JPG and PNG :( Not much help, huh? I doubt that tracing a bitmap won't work since I need the models to be accurate up to about 1mm.

BeeVee
01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I would say still export a very large PNG - it doesn't take long to rebuild in Modeler...

B

noiseboy
01-23-2005, 02:07 PM
if you have Adobe illustrator I believe you can import dxf12 and then generate an eps file that LW recognises. unless you can reverse engineer a pdf into a epsf file ( generating a pdf from "print to pdf")

lesterfoster
01-24-2005, 04:55 AM
I have been doing this a lot just recently.. What I have been doing is importing the “ *.dxf” files into CorelDraw, than saving as a Adobe illustrator r “ *.AI“ file. Than I would just import the *.ai file into modeler to work with. As Adobe illustrator and CorelDraw are 2D programs, I think that this method only works with 2D *.dxf files

Hope this helps.

Dodgy
01-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Try using the object converter from www.opendwg.org to convert it to a .dxf which LW can understand. It's free.

potempkin
02-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Thank you to everyone who has offered suggestions.

Dodgy, thanks for the hint about using the OpenDWG software. I'm using a Mac, but I tried it on a Windows machine. Unfortunately, the DXF produced by the software was not readable by Modeler. :confused:

I've done a little more work attempting to convert a postscript file of my DXF to an EPS. Further discussion of this thread can be found in the continuation in the Mac forum (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33361).

Silkrooster
02-07-2005, 05:56 PM
If the cad programs creates 3d dxf files odds are it is generating a dxf using polylines. Modeler will only except dxf files that has been generated using 3dfaces.
If this is a 3d dxf file you can goto dstorms web site and download a plugin for modeler that will load cad dxf files.
Now, if it is a 2d file, you can just install a postscript printer driver and print to file.
Some print drivers will give the option to export a eps file.
I know Coreldraw can read ps files and I beleive adobe illustrator can as well which would beable to export a ai or eps file.
Silk