PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong in UV? or me

prospector
01-22-2005, 01:20 AM
In looking at the modeler view, I mapped the center polys with UV. perspective window shows it as OK.

Fine so far.

Now in Layout.

I mapped the texture to the UV
I made a clip map of the texture and applied it.

I DIDN'T ADD TRANS

But it's being used as a transparency map!

AND
WTF are those jagged edges???

Can anyone see what I might be doing wrong?
I would hate to think the new UV update had something wrong already. So it must be me not seeing something in the new program correctly...I hope :(

prospector
01-22-2005, 01:39 AM
OOPS mapping is SUPPOSE to do that

So I am thinking wrong here (after midnight) I want the one that maps to the polys that ya can still see the textures underneath.

Now I gotta go remember what it was.

But still...what are those jagged edges?

Chris S. (Fez)
01-22-2005, 02:02 AM
This is not an 8.2 bug. This is a legacy "issue" that has been around since 6. When you are laying out UVs for an object, every polygon that composes a surface must be included when you make the UVs for that surface.

I assume you only selected only the middle "number" polygons when you created your UVs? But the surface is applied to all the polygons, right?

2 solutions:

1) The quick way. Apply a different surface to the polygons that do not have UVs

2) The long way. Select the UVs in the UV view. Inverse select. Apply a planar UV projection. Scale those new UV's so that they are a point in UV space and either paint a mask over that point on your texture map or make a WeightMap while those polygons are still selected and mask it out with a gradient.

I am sure this is more elegantly described elsewhere on the forums, but that should give you a good start.

prospector
01-22-2005, 02:10 AM
HMMM
getting this result with only trying to color a stripe.
In modeler it looks fine
Layout looks ...well you decide.

Not trying anything fancy just laying down a decal.

What am I doing wrong???

prospector
01-22-2005, 02:16 AM
you posted the same time I was :D
Yep..only selected middle row

K will try the differing surfaces.

Remembered about clip map from Amiga days when we made leaves with 1 poly so I got confused with what I wanted to do. :rolleyes:

AVT
01-22-2005, 04:18 PM
to Prospector:

Sorry, I just couldn`t resist.... Can You send me the QV 3.0 demo to [email protected] ? Looks like its homepage is dead already, so there is no other way to get it. Thanks in advance :)

prospector
01-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Fez was right. It was the step I kept missing (new surface)

thanks

Jeese,been doin this since ver3 and you'd think I could remember that.

Brain Freeze I guess