PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop TO CG

isaacu
01-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I love making all my ramps, bugs, logos, etc. in photoshop, but I have not been able to export them in a format that the cg will read with opacity mapped correclty. That is to say it will put a box around the graphics I am trying to key neatly over the video. Does anyone know what files the CG will key with the transparency levels intact.
I made some really nice logos and unfortunately I can only use them in post. :confused:

bbeanan
01-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I love making all my ramps, bugs, logos, etc. in photoshop, but I have not been able to export them in a format that the cg will read with opacity mapped correclty. That is to say it will put a box around the graphics I am trying to key neatly over the video. Does anyone know what files the CG will key with the transparency levels intact.
I made some really nice logos and unfortunately I can only use them in post. :confused:

Save As ar either a PNG or TIFF file. make sure you can see the photoshop checkerboard, if your backgorund is anything else you have a background. If you save at a Tiff make sure to enable transparancy.
Then when you bring it into VT Edit you need to check Overlay and make it high quaility. I normally stick to PNGs myself, or EPS if I get a vector file

Jim_C
01-22-2005, 09:27 AM
VT-Edit will also read a basic .psd file with alpha intact.
Just drop the psd on the timeline and enable overlay and high quality.

Ivan
01-22-2005, 09:43 AM
If you save it as an Interlaced .PNG you can bring it into CG and it will maintain it's transparencey and the edges will look better than noninterlaced. I'm not sure if CG will handle transparent Tiffs but it should handle TGA files as well. Normally I would not suggest compositing anything in CG but I think I know what you are trying to do and that would be about the best way to do it.

Ivan

mgrusin
01-23-2005, 11:30 AM
I thought that "interlaced" in .PNG settings only refers to the way it's drawn (window-blind style, so on a slow web connection you see a rough draft first), and not to any type of video field interlacing. But I could be wrong, especially if you see a difference...

-MG.

Ivan
01-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Using Photoshop 6 ther eis a very distinct difference. Without it I see a white edge on the very same PNG I saved both ways.

Ivan

isaacu
02-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys.
Turns out I had it right the whole time. For the record, when you drag from the filebin right into the cg editor it puts your image all the way out of the field of view so I was actually imprting my bugs over and over again, I just couldnt see them. I tried both psd and ping. The ping honestly looked the best and using photoshop CS I did not see a difference in the interlace option. The photoshop help file explains it as some kind of progressive download thing for the web.

THANKS AGAIN,

Isaac Uban

Jim_C
02-01-2005, 11:17 PM
If you do use the psd format, make sure to enable high quality for the image in the control panel. makes quite a difference on psd files.

Ivan
02-02-2005, 05:17 AM
The explaination of interlace that has been given here seems acurate so now I'm left wondering why I saw a difference when I saved two versions and put them side to side in CG. I was using PS6 and I created a gradient circle on a transparent background. The non interlaced image seemed jaggy when placed next to the other. The only difference was the way I saved them. When saving in Aura and other apps I generally save as non interlaced with no differnce in quailty so either PS6 is doing something different or ??

Ivan