PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.2 Registration

Smiling Otis
01-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello one and all,

I downloaded the upgrade from 8 to 8.2. Loaded it just fine. I went to work in the new version and it says that it is the Discovery Edition and it would not let me save what I was doing (I had more than 400 points). I am just learning how to use the software so I am figuring that I did something stupid while upgrading. I am a registered user by the way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Karmacop
01-21-2005, 05:17 PM
This sounds as if you've been using a cracked copy, not trying to suggest anything. If you bought your Lightwave second hand from ebay or somewhere similar, then I'd start worrying that you bought a cracked copy. If you didn't, and you have your dongle plugged in, and have a LICENSE.KEY file in your lightwave/programs directory, then I'd suggest contacting support.

Silkrooster
01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Sounds to me like the dongle is loose, better check and make sure it is plug in tight.
Silk

Smiling Otis
01-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Are you saying the the dongle must be in when using Lightwave? If so, then that is the problem.

And no, it is not a cracked copy of Lightwave. I bought the full version and it is registered.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Smiling Otis,

Yes, the dongle must be attached to the machine when you use LightWave.

If you're short on USB ports, and need to swap devices in and out, you might want to look into a USB hub. The dongle will work off of a hub connected to the computer, rather than being connected directly to the computer. This is what I do personally.

Smiling Otis
01-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I did not know that. It works just fine now. See, I told you that I was new to Lightwave.

Thanks Kurtis!

Kurtis
01-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Not a problem.

In the future, if you ever find yourself in Discovery Mode for no apparent reason, some of the first things to check are if the dongle is attached to the machine, if the green LED on it is lit, if your license.key file is in the right place, and if it contains the proper Permanent License Key number.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.