PDA

View Full Version : Bug Workshop: LightWave 8.2

Pages : [1] 2

Chuck
01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
In the interest of having a one-stop shop for reporting bugs on the forum, this thread is for reporting bugs and identifying which platforms are affected. Please try to cross-reference the Bug Workshop threads on the Mac and PC support forums - all bugs should appear here, and platform specific bugs should be reported on the Bug Workshop thread on the platform specific forums as well.

Suggested format:

-------------------------------------

# 001 Ref number for tracking and Bug confirmation from other users.

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.4/Win XP, G4 800/P4 Xeon 2.8G, 512MB/1GB

-------------------------------------

Followed then of course by the bug report, with numbered steps to repeat the error. Followed hopefully by confirmation from other users.

jgjones
01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
001 [number edited by moderator - let's not count the example above as our first item!]

LW 8.2, OS: Win2000, P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB

Found by sms in this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32672

Description:
When a surface has any Reflection, and the surface's Alpha Channel is set to Shadow Density, the relfections are being added to the alpha along with the shadows.

Steps:
1. Set up a scene with a refelctive surface and something to be reflected. Table top with a can of soda on top, for exampe.

2. Set table surface to have some Reflection value, and on the Advanced tab, set the Alpha Channel to "Shadow Density".

3. Render, and inspect the alpha.

(Example scene available in thread mentioned above.)

jgjones
01-21-2005, 12:54 PM
002 [number edited by moderator]

Found by ImageShoppe in this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=31926

Description:
When field rendering, field-rendered image sequences used in the scene (on surface textures, for example) render incorrectly, with only one field from the sequence making it into the final render.

Steps:
1. Create a field-rendered image sequence, with something moving fast enough in the scene to make each field distinguishable from the other.

2. Load this image-sequence, set Interlace to either "even first" or "odd first" and apply the seq to the surface of an object.

3. In Camera Properties, set Field Rendering to the same as in step #2.

4. Render. You should see that only one field of the sequence is used, unlike previous versions of LW (7.5) where each field is properly mapped to the corresponding field of the final render.

#lwrs_web
01-21-2005, 01:43 PM
003 [number added by moderators]

// worked up to 8.0.2
// crash on open options in 8.2

@script master

create { AddNull("Cursor"); }

flags { return(SCENE); } // removing this line solves crash

options
{
cursorObj=Mesh("Cursor");
cursPos=cursorObj.getPosition(0.0); // crashing here
info(cursPos);
}

Chuck
01-21-2005, 02:24 PM
003 [number added by moderators]

// worked up to 8.0.2
// crash on open options in 8.2

@script master

create { AddNull("Cursor"); }

flags { return(SCENE); } // removing this line solves crash

options
{
cursorObj=Mesh("Cursor");
cursPos=cursorObj.getPosition(0.0); // crashing here
info(cursPos);
}

Have you reviewed the SDK changes to see if they would explain why this is happening, i.e., that a change in the SDK requires a change in an LScript making use of that aspect of the SDK?

#lwrs_web
01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Have you reviewed the SDK changes to see if they would explain why this is happening, i.e., that a change in the SDK requires a change in an LScript making use of that aspect of the SDK?

Yes, there are a lot of new possibilities and some changes, but I can see no reason why the crash happens there.

- the new features are not yet implemented in LScript
- Master LScript's flags has a different meaning than SDK's flags callback

this should be solved by LScript IMHO and should not be the problem of the user.

romrom74
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM
LW 8.2, OS: WinXp, P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB

new sgi.p and sgi64.p plugins don't work in 8.2. I do a lot of work for military simulation companies and these image loaders are very necessery to me but when I try to load a *.rgb or *.sgi image nothing happens....I found a work around replacing the new plugs by the older ones (from 8.01)...but it's still annoying...

Lewis
01-21-2005, 04:17 PM

Lw 8.2 OS:WinXp pro SP1, P4 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM, 3Dlabs GFX

In Modeler - Numeric tab don't alow smaller size than 238W * 327H while Lw 8.0.1, 8.0 and 7.5c (as far as i tested) alow smaller sizes.

colkai
01-22-2005, 04:30 AM

Confirmed.

PC
LW 8.01 (using original configs)
AMD1800+XP
Win 2000 / 1GB RAM SP3 / AGP FX5200 card 128mb (with NVdia drivers 6.14)

jgjones
01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Confirmed.

new sgi.p and sgi64.p plugins don't work in 8.2.

NormJ
01-23-2005, 12:38 AM

1) Change one of the view ports to UV Texture mode.
2) Create a new UV texture map.
3) In layer 1, create a mesh with UVs (example create a box and select "Make UVs" check box).
4) Change to layer 2.
5) Create a new UV texture map.
6) With the second texture map still selected, switch back to layer 1.
7) Press the a key to Fit All Items in Views - Lightwave hangs.

LW 8.2, Win 2000, Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1GB Ram, Geforce 3/64 MB.

JamesCurtis
01-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Can confirm #006.

using steps above Modeler froze on me when I had switched back to empty 2nd layer after doing [a] autofit.

WinXP Pro
Service Pack 1
2.8 GHZ P4
1Gig ram

dgary
01-23-2005, 02:15 PM

Platform: Windows XP

Change in behavior of numeric tool

In LW [8.2] numeric tool now requires use of sliders or carriage return to activate entry. In LW [8.0] simply entering the number and going to a new cell was enough to activate. This is an annoyance, but rises to the level of a bug in "Export as 3DS", where a carriage return in a cell causes the requestor to close prematurely, so only way to effect the change is to use the slider.

sbowling
01-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Windows XP pro, Athlon64, 1gig ram.

Model exported from Modo had the pivot point in the wrong position (centered on x0). I thought this was a Modo problem, but when I checked the model in modeler the pivots were where they should be. Saved teh model again from modeler to make sure and the problem was still there when reloaded.

Checking the render outlines in the surface editor renders outlines as expected. Unchecking render outlines does not turn off render outlines. The only way to stop outlines from rendering is to restart lightwave. Copying surefaces from another object will not turn off render outlines. This needs confirmation from other users. I contacted newtek about this and they said they do not have this problem.

colkai
01-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Does this problem occur only in 8.2 and not in 8.01 / 8.0 / 7.5 ?

james_dmi
01-24-2005, 06:49 AM

Model exported from Modo had the pivot point in the wrong position (centered on x0). I thought this was a Modo problem, but when I checked the model in modeler the pivots were where they should be. Saved teh model again from modeler to make sure and the problem was still there when reloaded.

Checking the render outlines in the surface editor renders outlines as expected. Unchecking render outlines does not turn off render outlines. The only way to stop outlines from rendering is to restart lightwave. Copying surefaces from another object will not turn off render outlines. This needs confirmation from other users. I contacted newtek about this and they said they do not have this problem.

Can you post a link to mobo exported object.

JoeJustice
01-24-2005, 07:20 AM

LW 8.2: Windows XP/ Various networked computer with different hardware configuration

Description:
You have to save the motion of all particle systems for them to render over the network.

Steps:
1. Set up a particle system that does not require calculations (i.e. collision)
2. Apply hypervoxels to see result
3. Render through the screamer over a network

This happened once before with an update, I think it was 7.5 and it was corrected with 7.5 b or c I believe.

JamesCurtis
01-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Render Outlines works as expected on my machine.

WinXP Pro
Service Pack 1
2.8 GHZ P4
1Gig ram

tischbein3
01-24-2005, 08:08 AM
009 Split Bones malfunction

LW 8.2 OS:WinXp Athlon, 0,5GBRAM

This has also mentioned before in some other forums and threads, but just to be complete:
Splitting a bone result in a new position of the child bone. Problem has been directly identified with the bonetool plugin.

(Seems like a world/object transformation bug).

Create a Bone along X Axis and a Child Bone.
Select Parent Bone
Activate Split Bone
The original child bones position gets Z and X shifted. from its original position.

dblanky
01-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Whilst modelling my character i came across some polys that won't let me do anything to them, ie smooth shift, bevel, or knife, not sure how to recreate it

tischbein3
01-24-2005, 08:28 AM
011 Import Rig Fails

Don't know if this has also mentioned :

The import of rigs get twisted, further investigations seem to indicate, that the position and rotation of the first bone are not imported.

-Create a chain of rows with first parent bone not placed in the origin and roitated in some way (to see the effect)
-export rig.
-delete all bones
-import rig
bone 1 gets position 0,0,0 and rotation 0,0,0.
(In the rig file, rotation and position is, as far as I can see written down correctly )

Wade
01-24-2005, 11:06 AM

In LW [8.2] numeric tool now requires use of sliders or carriage return to activate entry. In LW [8.0] simply entering the number and going to a new cell was enough to activate. This is an annoyance, but rises to the level of a bug in "Export as 3DS", where a carriage return in a cell causes the requestor to close prematurely, so only way to effect the change is to use the slider.

This is bugging me have to hit that extra key to accept values.
Last upgrade we lost the volume to save a key stroke, but I used it all time where it was.

Wade

jgjones
01-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Description:
Looks like a bug in the Perlin Noise calculation in certain procedural textures:

http://home.comcast.net/~jgj252/PerlinNoiseGlitch.jpg

(That's looking straight down on a plane with the Dented texture on the bump
channel.)

It's not due to the camera angle, the lighting or the anti-aliasing. The
pattern appears, in basically the same way, in most of the procedural bump
textures which use Perlin Noise, and are set up (size, etc.) like this
example surface:

http://home.comcast.net/~jgj252/PerlinNoiseTest.srf

In happens only with Perlin Noise, and not the other Noise Types. Also, 1
thread or 2+ threads make no difference.

I'm thinking it's a bug, since I've never heard of any intrinsic problems
with Perlin noise.

It's easy to work around, fortunately, by just offseting the center of the
texture so all of the surface is in the positive X and Z region.

Steps:
Load example surface, apply to fairly large "ground" like surface around 120 meters accross, render.

erroLux
01-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi,

Two days ago, the day after I've installed 8.2, when doing a test render, I saw a 'screwy' mesh.
In modeler 8.2, I did not find one or two point polygons, and Merge Points and Unify Polys did'nt change anything.
I opened the file in 8.01, and Merge Points immediately merged some points and Unify Polys removed some of the duplicate polys.

It turned out that everywhere where I had used the Cut Tool, the original uncut geometry had stayed present and that the newly cut geometry was added on top of that!!?

I have'nt had that problem anymore, so I thought that somehow it was my computer system that did'nt function properly.

Today, after a first test render, the complete model looked OK.
After that render and after adding new geometry, I noticed that some areas of my model were not smoothed, although everything should belong to the same surface, and that render subpatches = 5 and smoothing in the surface editor is enabled for the default surface.
I found out that part of the model had gotten another surface than the default, although I deffinatley did NOT assign any surfaces.

So somehow, after a while of adding new geometry that got assigned the default surface as it should, further new geomtery got assigned another surface ( I have other surfaces present in the file ) after I had done the test render, although I did not change the 'Change Surface' panel as explained above.

Furthermore, I have been parenting layers (Layers Panel) to other layers, and after having reopened my LWO file in modeler, everything is UNparented!

I just copied some geometry of one layer to a new blank layer.
I looked at the Layers Panel: the new layer contains the pasted geometry and the layer Name has went black (from grey to black: means that the layer contains geometry!), and the new layers Visibility icon has been checked, all as it should be!

I save regularly, so I press 's' for save.
Then, I go back to the layer where I copied the geometry (copied: so the original is still there).
Again I go to the layer where I pasted the geometry and guess what: NO geometry, layer visibilty icon UNchecked and the new asigned layer name is grey again.

And: the layer where I copied the geometry now contains TWO versions, so what I've pasted into another layer has been put in it's original layer!!!

I am 100% sure of this, because at the moment I am constantly double checking what I am doing.
I also have been thinking maybe something's not right with my computer system.
But before the upgrade, I worked with LW as a breeze.

The past 6 months almost no 'crashes'.
But since the upgrade, my system regularly just 'freezes', and I have to force a restart. (And it's not the graphics card or it's driver.)

I would sure like to know if I'm the only one having this kind of trouble?

Axis3d
01-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Shift-selecting or multi-selecting items does not work in the 8.2 scene editor.

Axis3d
01-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Loading a scene can add many multiples of plugins to the Master Plugins list. For instance, when I load up a scene, it loads about 40 instances of the Expression Editor plugin to the Master Plugins list. I am not even using one instance of it in the scene.

3dworks
01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
#014 segment memory limit display not updating

open a new scene and try to change the 'segment memory limit' settings (try to set them to 1 for example) in 'camera properties'. the number of segments will be updated only when using the 'limited region' popup menu.

btw, when rendering some projects generated with LW 8.0.1 i got the 'not enaugh memory' warning, where in 8.0.1 everything rendered fine with the same memory limit settings (set at a high level like 320 MB).

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.7, hardware: PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz double processor, 4G RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition, 256 MB RAM

best regards

markus

UnCommonGrafx
01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Not a bug but a difference in behaviour that hasn't been noted.

There's a column to the RIGHT of the column you wish to multi-select. Use that to multi-select.

This needs to be more clearly documented because this is a BIG BIG annoying change with no reason outside of aesthetics.

colkai
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
#014 segment memory limit display not updating

PC / W2000 / 1GB RAM / AGP FX5200 125MB video card.

Confirmed.
(Note: any refresh of the panel will update the value, this includes closing & re-opening it, or toggling between say camera & light properties then back again. )

colkai
01-25-2005, 11:55 AM
009 Split Bones malfunction

Confirmed.
PC / W2K / 1GB ram / FX5200 AGP card.

erroLux
01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
In continuation of my previous reports, another 'system freeze', a forced system restart and OOH goody, the file I was working on can not be loaded anymore!

jgjones
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
015 ?

Description:
A) The normal RLA image saver (rla.p) is writing incorrect image files. It's writing the header values in little-endian style rather than big-endian. (Wavefront RLA is big-endian ONLY.) Files thus written will not load into other programs, e.g.: DFX.

B) Both the normal RLA loader (rla.p), and DRLA loader (DRLA.p), are no longer loading some .rla files which the previous (8.0.1) version did.
Example: http://home.comcast.net/~jgj252/LibraryLS.rla
(I can't tell the exact cause on this one; probably have to step through the code to find out.)

The DRLA.p image saver is still working correctly, from my tests.

Axis3d
01-25-2005, 06:03 PM
I've added a null to control a characters foot. When I rotate the null into place, then set a keyframe for it, I then select Record Pivot Rotation. Normally, this just zeros out the H, P, B and leaves the null alone. But now, the null snaps back into its old position while the H, P, B are reset to zero.

3dworks
01-26-2005, 04:22 AM
018 new PLD antialiasing modes not available in menu

the new PLD antialiasing modes are not available in the 'Antialiasing Level' menu command, only the 'Classic' modes. The PLD modes are available in the 'Camera Properties' dialog only.

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.7, hardware: PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz double processor, 4G RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition, 256 MB RAM

*edit: change error number to 18*

JML
01-26-2005, 07:06 AM
this is not only 8.2 but also 8.0.1..

I don't know if it's just my graphiccard/driver or a LW bug..

anyway , if I spray around particles in the modeler, I will see them in the perspective window, in wireframe mode.
BUT when I go in layout, I can't see them even in wireframe mode..

can anybody check that ?

thanks

JoeJustice
01-26-2005, 08:12 AM
If this is going to be of any help we need to be a little more organized here. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD and PLEASE follow the guidelines set by Chuck (It’s set on the very first post). Put a number with your bug report and if you are responding to a bug post, put the number you are responding to in the post.

I’m gonna run down all the bugs that have been confirmed and who confirmed them. This list includes some I’m confirming with this E-Mail.

001 - Confirmed by colkai
002 - Confirmed by Joe Justice, but this is the exact same behavior in 8.01
004 - Confirmed by jgjones
005 - Confirmed by Joe Justice, not sure if this counts as a bug though
006 - Confirmed by JamesCurtis
007 - Cannot duplicate, behavior is exactly the same as in 8.01. Might need a better description – Joe Justice
008 - I guess I can’t confirm my own bug report – Joe Justice :)
009 - Confirmed by colkai
010 - Can’t find report in thread – Joe Justice
011 - Confirmed by Joe Justice, however this doesn’t appear to work properly in 8.01 either
012 by jgjones - Confirmed by Joe Justice, however this also happens in 8.01, might just be the nature of Perlin Noise
012 by Axis3d - Addressed by UnCommonGrafx
013 - Cannot duplicate – Perhaps a problem in Axis3d’s config file – Joe Justice
014 - Confirmed by colkai
016 - Cannot duplicate – Joe Justice, behavior is exactly the same as in 8.01. – Joe Justice
017 - Not a bug, points cannot be seen in layout unless you convert them to one point polygons
018 - Confirmed by Joe Justice

erroLux - what you’re describing is a very unstable working environment, perhaps bad RAM or CPU overheating. What you’re dealing with is most likely not a Lightwave problem.

erroLux
01-26-2005, 09:07 AM
JoeJustice posted: erroLux - what you’re describing is a very unstable working environment, perhaps bad RAM or CPU overheating. What you’re dealing with is most likely not a Lightwave problem.
Well, if so (and I'm ruling nothing out), how then is it possible that until the day before installing the upgrade, I had no troubles with Lightwave (8.01) whatsoever?
Upto the upgrade LW was working like a breeze, and after installing 8.2 when working in 8.01, I also have no problems, only when I work in 8.2, I keep getting duplicate geometry regularly.

Today I've done a complete reinstall of LW[8], and immediately installed 8.2 (without 8.01), and until now all seems OK, BUT I have'nt done any modeling, and that's where I was having troubles.

So I have to wait and see.

hunter
01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
019 Uv texture window in modeler will not display the name of BG image.
020 Lght and Camera Clones will not display names Light(01), (02) etc. in propertoes panel.
Can confirm all bone tools bugs mentioned thus far.

Amd 2200+ 512 MB Nvidia 5500 win2k

3dworks
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
020 Lght and Camera Clones will not display names Light(01), (02) etc. in propertoes panel.

confirmed! if a camera or a light is renamed manually, then the name is displayed correctly - but it does not work with auto-naming.

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.7, hardware: PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz double processor, 4G RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition, 256 MB RAM.

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I dunno...
How about a bit'o discussion on that last one as a 'bug'; I rather think of it as a feature. Follow me...

This methodology of naming gives way to instancing more eleganly than the former way. This way means that they could actually just show us one with these 'instances' listed where they need to be, delineated as they should be.

I am postulating in this thought, yes, but it does make sense as the object really hasn't changed it's name. No, what has happened is that LW has shown us it in a way that it needs to to manage the assets.
New paradigm, change of behavior or bug?

erroLux
01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
- 21 -

When loading an object into Layout, a layer that has not been checked as visible is loaded anyway on top of the layer that is checked as visible in the Layers Panel.
See attachment.
---------------------------------

For the rest that I've mentioned before, all seems fine now after I've reinstalled Lightwave completely. Hope it stays that way.

Greets...

jgjones
01-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Description:
Several bugs noted while using the Move-TCB tool in Layout. Examples: T changes from 0 to 1.0 when editing B; B values appear from nowhere when editing T; T goes from 1.0 to -1.0 when editing B numerically.

Most are somewhat random, but the following one is repeatable:

Steps:
1. Create Null object in blank scene.
2. Go to frame 30, create keyframe for Null.
3. Go back to frame 0, turn on Move-TCB tool (ctrl-G).
4. Drag with L mouse button to change T from 0 to 1.0.
5. Go to frame 30.
6. Drag with *R* mouse button to change B. Bug: T should change to 1.0 as you are adjusting the B.

These bugs are also present in 8.0.1.

Added Later:
Another problem (bug?) with the Move TCB tool is that, even with AutoKey off, its use creates *new keyframes* on channels where a keyframe does not exist. For example, if I use Move TCB on an item keyframed only on Y, new keyframes on the other eight channels are created, which at the very least creates a lot of useless keyframes, or at worst may seriously damage a carefully crafted motion.
If the Move TCB tool (and the command it uses: SetTCB) could truely work only on exsisting keyframes on a channel-by-channel basis, it seems to me that would be a great improvement, if not an admirable bug fix. :)

Tesselator
01-26-2005, 04:24 PM

Non-modo and modo object tested. No problems.

Uncheck = off
Checked = on

Tesselator
01-26-2005, 04:35 PM

This is bugging me have to hit that extra key to accept values.
Last upgrade we lost the volume to save a key stroke, but I used it all time where it was.

Wade

Cannot confirm. My numeric entry in all panels works
as expected. Tab, Return, or Mini-Slider updates. In
LW you have never been able to click on the next entry
and have it accept the previous value - Well not since
the Amiga LW v4.0 or so.

Tesselator
01-26-2005, 06:59 PM
012 Scene Editor Multi-Select bug

I think this DOES classify as a bug. there is a tiny little
box in the rows but when not selected they simply can
NOT be seen at any resolution by average human eyes.
Holding a magnifying glass up to the screen (21" Dell
Trinitron 0.9 Dot Pitch scanned down to 1024x768 just
for this test - Usually at 1600x1200) reveals a very faint
collumn divider for each(?) multi selectable collumn.
Design bug?

Reader FYI
Also you can single cell edit when in multi select mode
now. LMB is normal replace, and shift+LMB is add. So
that's a good thing! And try pressing Tab... Yay!
Here's dem little boxes when selected so you'll know
where to click (It's the little tiny tiny tiny yellow ones
next to the red 256) -(Notice that they cannot be seen
next to the "100%" in the collumn to the right) :

erroLux
01-27-2005, 03:41 AM
- 023 -

Relates to 021, but the other way around: when in modeler several layers parented to one another in a hierarchy like a robot arm, the lowest layer in the hierarchy does not get loaded.

When I tried to load that layer separately, I got an error message saying that 'no visible layers were found'.

After unparenting the last layer (hand), and reopening layout, the last layer did not get loaded.
Even after unparenting all layers, again the last layer did not load.

Only when copying all layers into a new file, then cutting and pasting the separate mesh-objects into their own layer and then without parenting those layers, all layers loaded into layout.

So something's buggy with the modeler layers parenting.

Rich
01-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Bug 006 - UV Map problem (confirming and adding to original post)

This is a serious issue for me. Whenever I create a UV map for my polygons and then in a new layer I create new polygons and add those polygons to my exisiting UV map, as soon as I click on the original layer Modeler crashes. Can anyone from Newtek say what the time table is on this being fixed? This bug is starting to become a real pain in the neck.

Joscci
01-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I've found that when you use the Mirror Hierarchy function [CTRL]+[w] and attempt to specifically use the Replace String in the Name Edit Method causes Lightwave to crash. (v. 8.2, and 8.0). Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

Joscci
01-27-2005, 10:55 AM
011 Import Rig Fails

Don't know if this has also mentioned :

The import of rigs get twisted, further investigations seem to indicate, that the position and rotation of the first bone are not imported.

-Create a chain of rows with first parent bone not placed in the origin and roitated in some way (to see the effect)
-export rig.
-delete all bones
-import rig
bone 1 gets position 0,0,0 and rotation 0,0,0.
(In the rig file, rotation and position is, as far as I can see written down correctly )

I too have found similar problems using the IMPORT RIG [Shift]+[i] feature. When I import a rig file saved via EXPORT RIG [Shift]+[j], All bones imported are rotated and typically end up facing the +Z axis, even if the bones originally were not saved that way. (v. 8.2). However, this feature works for me without a problem with (v. 8.0).

Hope this helps.

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Description:
A) The normal RLA image saver (rla.p) is writing incorrect image files. It's writing the header values in little-endian style rather than big-endian. (Wavefront RLA is big-endian ONLY.) Files thus written will not load into other programs, e.g.: DFX.

B) Both the normal RLA loader (rla.p), and DRLA loader (DRLA.p), are no longer loading some .rla files which the previous (8.0.1) version did.
Example: http://home.comcast.net/~jgj252/LibraryLS.rla
(I can't tell the exact cause on this one; probably have to step through the code to find out.)

The DRLA.p image saver is still working correctly, from my tests.

Part A) Confirmed.

"Deluxe RLA" Saver seems to work fine.
"LW_RLA24" Saver produced DFusion unreadable
images yet loadable into LW ImEd and properly
recognized.
"LW_RLA32" Saver produced DFusion unreadable
images and incorrect file sizes for that bit depth. Also
loadable into LW ImageEd and properly recognized
and discribed (odd).

I don't know 8.01 (and previous) LW_RLA24, LW_RLA32
behaviors as I have always used Deluxe_RLA in the past.

Test Files available on request.

Joscci
01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I've also found problems when using the Bone Delete function found under the Setup Tab > Edit: Delete (Menu) > Bone Delete. The test set consists of say, 4 bones, with each bone being the child bone of the previous.

If I use BONE DELETE on the top/root bone (PARENT) of the hierarchy, I have no problems using this feature. Also, if I delete the LAST bone in the parent-child hierarchy I have no problems with this feature.

However, if I delete a bone from the inner hierarchy (one that has a Parent Bone and a Child Bone), then deleting the bone results in the rest of the hierarchy shifting out of position. I have observed this problem with (v. 8.2). However, I do not have this problem with (v. 8.0). Deleting a bone in 8.0 will leave the rest of the hierarchy intact (i.e, it won't shift position).

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

peteb
01-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Not sure if this a bug that can be recreated. I've been saving objects through Layout using the "save Objects".
Went from Layout to modeler last night and it was fine. Tried to open the mesh in model again today and it crashes out everttime. There's two layers to the model and one is quite dense and set to sub-divs.
The thing is I can open it fine in 7.5c. I have actually had this problem in 8 as well so not sure how long it's been about.

I can send the error report if that helps?

Pete B

norvman
01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Win XP, Athlon 2800, 1.5mb ram

I can confirm that Delete Bones in the middle of the chain causes a translation shift.... on my machine.....

also....

Bug #009
Using Bone Split....

also causes a simular translation shift as Delete Bone

:(

Elmar Moelzer
01-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Hello!
I have tried to reproduce bug 006 here on my machine. I cant make it crash. Maybe I am missing something?
I did the following steps:
1. Layer1 create box with UVMap
2. Layer2 create new UVmap (atlas default setting).
3a. hit Fit All and switched to Layer1, hit fit All again- > no crash
3b. Switched to Layer1 hit Fit All - > no crash.
I have noticed a bug though with it not fitting the empty UVmap correctly.
Can anyone please help me reproduce the crashing?
CU
Elmar

Rich
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I have tried it on simple objects like a box and have not had it happen to me either. It has happened to me though on more complex models.

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 07:42 PM

Hello!
I have tried to reproduce bug 006 here on my machine. I cant make it crash. Maybe I am missing something?
I did the following steps:
1. Layer1 create box with UVMap
2. Layer2 create new UVmap (atlas default setting).
3a. hit Fit All and switched to Layer1, hit fit All again- > no crash
3b. Switched to Layer1 hit Fit All - > no crash.
I have noticed a bug though with it not fitting the empty UVmap correctly.
Can anyone please help me reproduce the crashing?
CU
Elmar

I can also confirm this.

LW 8.2

System 1 WinXP Home
P4 3.0g HT On
2gig Ram
Ti4600 Ultra
Single Monitor
Bug Never happens System 2 Win 2K Pro
AMD64 +3400
3Gig Ram
FX5900 Plain
Dual Monitor
Bug Always Happens

Recreation Steps
Click "T" (for the UV display type.
Select "new" --> "Texture" in the map list pullup,
Click "OK"
Click "Box"
Press {n}
Click Check "Make UV" (if not already checked)
Press Return to leave the numeric panel but remain
in the box tool's edit mode
Use the arrow keys to increase the mesh density on
all 3 axis (4x4x4 will do it)
Press Return to make the box
Click layer 2
Select "new" --> "Texture1" in the map list pullup,
Click on layer 1
Autosize - Press {a}
Freeze or Crash (Depending on the mood Windoze
is in).

It happened 7 out of 7 times on the AMD64
and 0 for 5 on the P4

:cool:

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 08:11 PM

BTW, When the crash happens it Auto fits correctly!
When the crash does not happen the Autofit for the
UV Map Viewport is incorrect.

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 08:20 PM
026 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Attached is an object with skelligons that loads fine into
modeler but gets the "No Visable Layers Were Found"
error when loaded into Layout.

EDIT: 026 == 023 (Same bug, different post numbers)

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
027 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Here's an object with skelegons that loads fine into Modeler
but will crash Layout when "Cvt Skeilgons" is clicked. This
object was made by taking a default ball, cutting off the
top and bottom caps (with lasso select and Ctrl+x) and
then click-selecting once on

Setup-->Skelegons-->More-->Convert Skelegons

and then saving the object. This object test may also
indicate inadequacies in the "Convert Skelegons" Modeler
tool. (ie. it creates overlapping opposed bone chains in
the detected edge flows.)

Tesselator
01-27-2005, 10:42 PM
028 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

PSD Loader fails on some (all?) grey scale single layer
PSD formatted bitmap images. See attached example
file.

EDIT: This file was created with Photoshop and is 16bpp grey.

erroLux
01-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Tesselator wrote: 026 Attached is an object with skelligons that loads fine into
modeler but gets the "No Visable Layers Were Found"
error when loaded into Layout.

I myself can confirm 026, cause I've posted it as issue 023.

So Tesselator, can you confirm my post 023, it's in relation to 'No visible layers were found'.

Thanks 'n greets...

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 06:08 AM
029 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Scene Editor Option settings are not remembered between Layout sessions.

If we set up the colors, behahiors and etc. in the Scene Editor [Options] and
then exit layout - When Layout is loaded once again all the [Option] settings
are reset to thier default.

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 07:38 AM
030 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Scene Editor - Range Selection Focus Error.

Example:
In a 50 bone chain (sequential hierarchy where Bone000 is the parent
of Bone001, Bone001 --> Bone002 ~ Bone049 --> Bone050), selecting
Bone000 and then shift selecting Bone050 sets the "Current Item"
focus correctly to Bone050.

Selecting Bone050 and then shift selecting on Bone000 results in an
improper focus of the "Current Item" to Bone050 instead of Bone000.

Attempting to set the view/display of the hierarchy listing to straight
instead of indented so that name sorts work properly and then trying
the above range select (Bone050 first, Bone000 last) results in the
incorrect focus of the "Current Item" to Bone001 instead of Bone000.

Reader FYI
The workaround for this is to Shift-Click twice in the Schematic
View on the Bone or item you wish focused as your "Current Item".

-- ALSO: "Active Item" assending/decending sort methods sometimes
flip the sort correctly and sometimes don't. Tho I can't isolate why.

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 07:54 AM
031 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

MMB Drag Selection Render Error

Middle Mouse Button drag selections in the Schematic ViewPort draw out
a solid box instead os a 90% transparent box like in the other ViewPort
Styles.

See Attached Images:

Note: If anyone wants to pay me to do this kind of thing I sure could
use the money right about now and I would be very willing to do this
8hrs a day / 6 days a week. Seriously.

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 09:38 AM
032 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

DopeTrack "Delete Keys" Error

Recreation Steps

MultiSelect 372 Bones (but any number should
produce the same results)
Open the DopeTrack
Double click in the DopeTrack on frame 21 to
create a key there (See Graphic Row 1)
LMB Ckick & Drag in the DopeTrack to select
the new key you just made on frame 21 (See
Graphic Rows 2 and 3)
Right Click on the selected key and choose
"Delete Keys" from the menu. (See Graphic
Row 4)
Error - the new key seems to remain but only
in the DopeTrack.

Notice that in the blue collumn selecting "Cut
Keys" instead of "Delete Keys" worked as we
expected .

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 10:53 AM
033 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Jumble Bug

Recreation Steps Load the attached Object into Layout
Choose "Cvt Skelegons" in the Setup tab.
Choose Bones-->Bones On (Not needed but
just to make sure. The bug happenes with or
without this step .
Open SceneEd and multiselect all 372 bones.
(See Graphic 1 below)
Open the DopeTrack and double click on frame
21 to create a keyframe there. Notice that our
timeline is scrubbed to frame 0 however.
Scrub toward frame 21. You should see a
jumbled mess. (See Graphic 2)

Prarrent in Place was ON for this test. If Parrent In Place is
OFF the Jumble effect takes place right after multiselection
in step 4.

The object contained inside the attached "BoneTwister.rar"
archive was created by a formula entered into the Plot1D
tool where "Splines" were selected as the generated output.
The resulting spline was twisted with the "Bend" tool and
the results were used in both a "Rail Extrude" operation and
a Modeler --> Setup --> More --> Convert Skelegons. The
spline deleted and the model saved .

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 11:40 AM
034 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Toroid Terror Bug

Recreation Steps
Open Modeler
Select Primitives --> More --> SuperQuadratic Tool
Click on any blank grey area (as if you wanted to
deselect and bang! It makes a Toroid. :eek:
Press {Delete} to delet the toroid.
Click Plot1D and enter a formula (or just leave the
default formula there).
Click "OK"
Click on any blank grey area (as if you wanted to
deselect and bang! It makes a Toroid. :eek:

hunter
01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Man Tesselator you're busy. :D

I have one that is drivin' me nuts. Not sure it's a bug though.

Clear scene
L Click select camera
Spin middle mouse button/wheel (nothing happens)
Select camera again
Spin middle mouse button/wheel (cycles through POS, ROT, etc.)

Why do I have to select it and activate it ? Is it just me?
IT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CLICK!!! :eek: AAAAGHHHH! :D

Matt
01-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Clear scene
L Click select camera
Select camera again

Just tried it - works for me!

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmmm Mine doesn't do that.
Mine behaves as expected.

You should edit your post tho and ADD a
number to it if this is repeatable behavior.

You're #35 I think :D

I'm thinking that's the mouse driver tho
or some settings of it - shrug.

hunter
01-28-2005, 02:40 PM
O.K. guys that's good to know. I didn't assign it a number cause I wasn't sure it is LW's doing. It is completely repetable. I'm using win 2k and it happens on both ati and nvivdia cars so it may be mouse related. Logitech usb optical with default microsoft driver. I'll look into it.
Thanks. :)

Noratio
01-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Confirm

jgjones
01-28-2005, 06:47 PM
36?

Description:
The 8.2 tif image loader, after loading a Photoshop (7) 32-bit tif (RGBA) makes an incorrect, all white, alpha channel. The same image will load correctly in 8.0.1 and 7.5. (LW-saved 32-bit tif images *will* load ok, so this must issue be tested with Photoshop-saved tifs.)

-Jim

Tesselator
01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
#037 :) - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

The Putrid ParametricObj Bug :cool:

Both "Curve" and "None" produce identical results.
There are no curves in curve. (See Yellow Lines in
the graphic below)

Both "Triangle" and "Rectangle" produce identical
results and the default parameters result in flipped
polygons. (See Red Lines in the graphic below)

We've had this tool since the Amiga version 3.5
but I can't remember it ever working after they
ported it over to the PeeCee.

norvman
01-28-2005, 07:50 PM
There are reports that loading the old LW 8.0.1 bone tool plugins.....

works as a temporary fix to the problem....

perhaps some of the plugs are getting corrupted in the install?

see discussion here....

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58035#post58035

Tesselator
01-29-2005, 08:34 AM
038 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

PointClone UV Masher Bug

Point Clone Plus destroys UV maps of both the original
geometry and the cloned instances. See graphics below
for before and after examples.

Edit: Those are not triangles you're seeing in the bottom
right of the graphic below - they are twisted quads.

hunter
01-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Man Tesselator you're busy. :D

Clear scene
L Click select camera
Select camera again

Why do I have to select it and activate it ? Is it just me?
IT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CLICK!!! :eek: AAAAGHHHH! :D

O.K. To get this to happen here's what I do.
add null
Draw bone hit space to drop the tool
Spin MMB All fine
MMB select Bone
Spin MMB Nothing
MMB select Bone Again all fine
select Null
Spin MMB Nothing

Now clear scene
MMB select Camera
Spin MMB Nothing
MMB select Light
Spin MMB Nothing

Is It just me again?

Tesselator
01-29-2005, 01:03 PM

O.K. To get this to happen here's what I do.
add null
Draw bone hit space to drop the tool
Spin MMB All fine
MMB select Bone
Spin MMB Nothing
MMB select Bone Again all fine
select Null
Spin MMB Nothing

Now clear scene
MMB select Camera
Spin MMB Nothing
MMB select Light
Spin MMB Nothing

Is It just me again?

Yes. :D Hehehee... just kidding...

I at least, can't get it to do that tho.
Did you update the mouse driver?

If yes:
Press {d} and {o} and take screen
shots. Crop to size and post them here
and I'll try with your settings. Or just
post your config filles (?).

Tesselator
01-29-2005, 01:38 PM
039 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Pressing the {a} or {Shift+a} keys do not autofit the
display for perspective mode viewports in Layout.

All other applicable viewport modes work fine.

hunter
01-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Alright I except the fact it is just me. It only seems to happen on my win2k machine. I'd say #35 is free for a true bug. :) thanks for your help. :D

Tesselator
01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
040 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Viper Render Bug

Recreation Steps

Load Layout
Click Modeler to load modeler.
Make a ball
Save & send to Layout
Enable and Open Viper
Set it to 640x480 (so that it renders slow
enough to catch the bug in this simple test)
Press F9 , click "Continue" on the Render
Status window, and close the Render Display
if it opened.
Click Viper -> Render
Press {F5} to open SurfEd
Click Color "T" to open TextureEd
Add any procedural and give it a contrasting
color. (so you can see the bug easier)
Set the texture scale to 0.1m, 0.1m, 0.1m
(this step prolly isn't needed but makes the
pattern better for bug detection)
Click on the texture's Rotation tab and add
some rotation on any or all axis,
Set Viper to High or Mosaic (so that it's slow
enough in this test to cach the bug)
Press F9 (I noticed Viper has been greatly
improved to hook into the scene and surface
internals so that in a Viper session, F9 to feed
it may not actually be needed here. Goog Job
guys!!! Still, just in case. :) F9), again click
"Continue" on the Render Status window, and
close the Render Display if it opened.
Click Viper --> Render
While the Viper render is still in progress click
on the "Texture Editor" panel (anywhere).

You should see the texture shift in mid
Viper render causing a display like the one
you see in the graphic below.

Rendering Viper and clicking on the Texture
Editor panel durring the viper render will now
always cause a messed up Viper Display.

I may have to sell this machine and LW with it
just to eat so I'm not sure how many more I
can report if that has to happen. I have many
more! Anyone want to hire me? :D

I've attached an object that has the surface
already set up for this bug test to save you
from having to repeat those steps. (Tho I
haven't tested to see if the bug occurs with
an object loaded from disk, this shouldn't
make a difference.)

Tesselator
01-30-2005, 09:24 PM
041 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Viper Init Bug

Recreation Steps:

Make sure nothing from NT is running.
Load LW Layout
Close all edit panels (Especially SurfEd)
Quit LW Layout
Load LW Layout
Enable Viper
Open Viper
Load any object
Press {F9}
Click Viper --> Render
Nothing.. No Image, No nothing. It won't
matter how many times you press F9 viper
is blind.

I have very many more bugs too btw. I would
like to have a job doing this. It would fit my
schedual so perfectly and be allot of fun for me
at the same time.

norvman
01-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Great work Tess... hate to see you working so hard for free....

Maybee some of us getting paid to do stuff like like this could like share the wealth or somethin'...

ha! :D

colkai
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Nothing.. No Image, No nothing. It won't
matter how many times you press F9 viper
is blind.

No - as far as I recall, it never did - just tested .. 8.01 & 7.5 - nope - until such time as you open the surface editor having done an F9 - viper will show nothing.
As soon as you open the surface editor- your render appears in the Viper window.
So not a bug - always been this way.

Keep at it though Tess - us out in the sticks all appreciate your efforts in bug-tracking! :)

dvrba
01-31-2005, 02:15 PM
The selection of cells is now accomplished by selecting the left area of the cell (there is a line indicating the selection area border within the cell). This change allows the capability of 'in cell' value modification, which will be fully available in the next LW release. The 8.2 release supports numeric values being edited with the mouse by clicking and dragging within the cell's 'non-select' area.

Documentation of this behavioral change is pending.

MacDoggie
01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Loading a scene can add many multiples of plugins to the Master Plugins list. For instance, when I load up a scene, it loads about 40 instances of the Expression Editor plugin to the Master Plugins list. I am not even using one instance of it in the scene.

I am not getting this here but I have seen multiples in past builds that's not say it can't happen. But I just checked and so far in both Modeler and Layout I am not seeing multiples and I am defintely not seeing 40 instances of plug ins here.

8.0.2 Dual 2.5 G5 OSX 3.7 4 gigs of ram

DigitalDeuce
01-31-2005, 06:46 PM

Lw 8.2 OS:WinXp pro SP1, P4 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM, 3Dlabs GFX

In Modeler - Numeric tab don't alow smaller size than 238W * 327H while Lw 8.0.1, 8.0 and 7.5c (as far as i tested) alow smaller sizes.

This was necessary as a few modeler tools required a larger "smaller" size to keep buttons from crossing over each other.

DigitalDeuce
01-31-2005, 06:48 PM

This was done so that the "ESC" key could be an "undo" in that field. Will check the "Export" -- might check that the TAB key would suffice.

DigitalDeuce
01-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Not a bug but a difference in behaviour that hasn't been noted.

There's a column to the RIGHT of the column you wish to multi-select. Use that to multi-select.

This needs to be more clearly documented because this is a BIG BIG annoying change with no reason outside of aesthetics.

No, it means that you can now edit "right in the cell" -- that is the reason for the change. Should have been noted in the docs, however.

Lewis
02-01-2005, 05:30 AM
This was necessary as a few modeler tools required a larger "smaller" size to keep buttons from crossing over each other.

Thanks for answer Deuce but i can't say that i understand it anyway :(. I know what you are talking but limiting size to 238*327 isn't solving that. For instance if you choose TWIST tool in that smallest size you still don't see many options on bottom (in height) since there is few buttons hiden under bottom line of window. It alsmost needs to be 238*550 minimum to show all tools without hiding buttons. Isn't it simpler to write in manuals that RECOMMENDED resolution of numeric panel is xxx * xxx and not to FORCE IT ? It worked pretty normal in 8.0.1 and 7.5 and 6.5 so if is been good for years howcome now it needs to be fixed ? I dind't se anyone whos said that numeric panel size have problems or bugs? Modeler didn't got so many new tools since 6.5 that we can say it now must be that size ? - This is making LWs interface even more problematic since now it is even lesl configurable than before 8.2 :(. Imagine how tha tlooks at Notebook with 1024*768 screen :(. Numeric panel there takes almost 1/4 of screens width. I work on 1600*1200 for long time and it even bothers me and i only can imagine how bad is on lower resolutions :(.

Please put back old limit in next patch/update. Thanks

Tesselator
02-01-2005, 07:28 AM
041 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

No - as far as I recall, it never did - just tested .. 8.01 & 7.5 - nope - until such time as you open the surface editor having done an F9 - viper will show nothing.
As soon as you open the surface editor- your render appears in the Viper window.
So not a bug - always been this way.

Keep at it though Tess - us out in the sticks all appreciate your efforts in bug-tracking! :)

Yeah it's still a bug tho. :D Or, if not, then the manual should specify
otherwise. :) I do believe this bug first appeared in 6.0 BTW, - FYHI
(For Your Historical Information) hehee... :)

And thanks for the encouragement! I have more of these piled up I
just have yet to type them in... so more to come. :)

Tesselator
02-01-2005, 08:10 AM

I second the motion.

DigitalDeuce
02-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for answer Deuce but i can't say that i understand it anyway :(. I know what you are talking but limiting size to 238*327 isn't solving that. For instance if you choose TWIST tool in that smallest size you still don't see many options on bottom (in height) since there is few buttons hiden under bottom line of window. It alsmost needs to be 238*550 minimum to show all tools without hiding buttons. Isn't it simpler to write in manuals that RECOMMENDED resolution of numeric panel is xxx * xxx and not to FORCE IT ? It worked pretty normal in 8.0.1 and 7.5 and 6.5 so if is been good for years howcome now it needs to be fixed ? I dind't se anyone whos said that numeric panel size have problems or bugs? Modeler didn't got so many new tools since 6.5 that we can say it now must be that size ? - This is making LWs interface even more problematic since now it is even lesl configurable than before 8.2 :(. Imagine how tha tlooks at Notebook with 1024*768 screen :(. Numeric panel there takes almost 1/4 of screens width. I work on 1600*1200 for long time and it even bothers me and i only can imagine how bad is on lower resolutions :(.

There was a bug reported:
Small panels redraw incorrectly with side by side controls

Description:Some panels redraw incorrectly if there are side by side controls when the panel is sized narrowly.

Steps:. Open the create skelegons panel
. Resize it to be very narrow
. Open the bevel panel

Controls would not redraw correctly. This size prevents that from happening. If the old limit was put back, that bug would be put back and I'd get email again about the overlapping controls.

DigitalDeuce
02-01-2005, 08:12 AM
I second the motion.

Description:Some panels redraw incorrectly if there are side by side controls when the panel is sized narrowly.

. Open the bevel panel

Controls would not redraw correctly. This size prevents that from happening. If the old limit was put back, that bug would be put back and I'd get email again about the overlapping controls.

Tesselator
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM

. Open the bevel panel

How about adding scroll bars to the panel?

- Just thinking out loud here

Joscci
02-01-2005, 10:07 AM
When using the JOLT! modifier plug-in via the Motion Options Panel [m] > IK and Modifiers > Add Modifier > Jolt! , attempting to use the SAVE KEYS button/feature causes Lightwave to crash once you click SAVE on the File Requester Panel. This happens in both, (v8.2) and (v.8.0).

Lewis
02-01-2005, 10:23 AM

. Open the bevel panel

I see and YES there is some redraw problem in Lw 8.0.1 but on my machien ONLY wiht skelegons panel. Numeric window with bevel works OK here after making Skelegons. And on Skelegons it's only one small glitch when window is too small but when i reshape it to be larger it's again fixed and no problems.

ALL other tools i tryed doesn't have that problem so to me it looks like skelegons window is makins slight glitch and not other windows but with this size limit that's just a temporary FIX IMHO. You just prevented us to see that GLITCH in OpenGL but it's still there :). I still stand that it's better to alow users to resize panels to size they want. If someone uses Skelegons many it could be STATED in manuals that numeric window size must be atleast xxx pixels to work OK.

Sorry but to me this size limit is meaning less pace for modeling in all windows 'coz i endup resizing whole LW modeler workspace by those 32 pixels (i used 206 height and now i must use 238 atleast).

cheers and Thanks for participating in this Deuce, you are great help in this conversation.

jgjones
02-01-2005, 11:28 AM

(Found in this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33153)

Description:
32-bit RGBA images, saved with BMP32 have messed up colors when loading into some other apps and when loaded back into LW itself.

Steps:
1. Render something simple and save using the LW_BMP32 image saver.
2. Load the resulting image back into LW.

jgjones
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Description:
The LWLayoutTool "draw" function seems to be called more than makes sense (at least as far as I can tell). Specifically it is called four times per selected item per viewport. If there is one item selected, and the interface is set to just one viewport, draw is called four times. If there is one selected item and four viewports active (quad view) draw is called sixteen times. This seem illogical since each of the four calls per viewport have the same arguments and wind up drawing the same thing four times.

Caveat: There may of course be a perfectly valid reason for draw being called as described, so this may not be a bug report at all, but just a misunderstanding by an ignorant programmer. :) On the other hand, if it is a bug, Layout Tools may be running only 25% as fast as they could...

(Added later): The above poorly-worded "ignorant programmer" comment refers to me, James Jones, not the coders of LW. Although I'm very familiar with the SDK, I can only speculate about the methods and reasons behind the way it works -- thus my ignorance.

Steps:
About the only way to test this is to write a simple Layout Tool class plugin and display a msg->info() with a accumulating count each time draw() is called.

Librarian
02-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Description
Config files and some plugins don´t load when Modeler or Layout are started via Hub(or from each other).
Not sure if this is a bug.

Steps
1. Start LW Modeler and start Layout from Modeler (F12) or the Modeler from Layout(send object to layout).
2. Layout(or Modeler) doesn´t load the additional menus or layout configs.
3. The only motion modifiers left are the lscript ones. Additional configs are not recognized

colkai
02-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Caveat: There may of course be a perfectly valid reason for draw being called as described, so this may not be a bug report at all, but just a misunderstanding by an ignorant programmer. :) On the other hand, if it is a bug, Layout Tools may be running only 25% as fast as they could...

With all due respect, smiley or no, outlining what you think is wrong with a process and then calling the Newtek coders ignorant is not the best way to be taken seriously.
This is supposed to be a bug list area - not what you think could be improved and what is wrong with Newteks approach to the coding.
I have seen a few "bugs" here which at times, are a lack of understanding of how LW has always worked or simple system problems / possible operator error.

Again, think about what you are posting here - joke or no, I'd be well miffed if that was levelled at me. Illogical coding / ignorant programmers not good. I'd also venture to suggest this particular "bug" would be better off in feature requests.

Tesselator
02-02-2005, 05:58 AM
With all due respect, smiley or no, outlining what you think is wrong with a process and then calling the Newtek coders ignorant is not the best way to be taken seriously.
This is supposed to be a bug list area - not what you think could be improved and what is wrong with Newteks approach to the coding.
I have seen a few "bugs" here which at times, are a lack of understanding of how LW has always worked or simple system problems / possible operator error.

Again, think about what you are posting here - joke or no, I'd be well miffed if that was levelled at me. Illogical coding / ignorant programmers not good. I'd also venture to suggest this particular "bug" would be better off in feature requests.

Well, it won't matter about the dev team taking him seriously as those guys
are professionals and I'm sure don't allow foolish remarks to influence thier
work in any way.

It DOES stink up the place for the rest of us tho!

Please no personal remarks about ANY individual here! Including companies
too - Either NewTek or the 3rd party developers that produced some of this
code - (PAST, and present.).

Thanks!

Joscci
02-02-2005, 07:26 AM

Errrrr.... in regards to the "ignorant programmer" comment, I think that jgjones was referring to himself, so take it easy. Also, if you have any knowledge regarding a bug that actually represents misuse of a given function, you should point that out. Personally speaking, I would like to know if any of the bugs *I* have pointed are actual bugs, or a misunderstanding of the feature in question, which is completely possible. Either way, we should know. For after all, that's why we're here... to help each other -- so lets help one another.

JML
02-02-2005, 07:42 AM

LW 8.2, OS: WinXP SP2, P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB

-------------------------------------------------------

it used to work...
I made a scene with a fountain with 2 particle emiters and
hypervoxel on them.
it will render fine locally but when I send it to the renderboxxes,
it won't render, it will say it's rendering hypervoxel but it will do it fast
and nothing appear.

I DID set the particles emiter to be fixed at frame -50
I DID check that LW can find hypervoxel.p in the cfg on the share drive.
I noticed that the hypervoxel.p is a little bit bigger than 8.0.1.
(I tried to replace it with the old one but the same thing happen..)

Can anybody check this please ?

JML
02-02-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm attaching the scene with the object if anybody wants to try..

thanks

I tried to open the file in LW 8.0.1 and it says that particle emitter is the wrong version...
SO it seems particle emitter changed in 8.2 so maybe there IS a problem with the
new one and screamernet..
can anybody check to see if it's just me having a bad day or LW8.2?

JML
02-02-2005, 08:09 AM
the problem is NOT with hypervoxel.

I sprayed some particle in modeller and imported in layout and applied
the same hypervoxel and it rendered...

so something is weird with the particle emitter
the new particlefx.p is larger than the old one so the file changed..

is it a bug or did I forget something ?

Chuck
02-02-2005, 08:57 AM

I think James was exercising what's called self-effacing humor, and was referring to himself as the "ignorant programmer" possibly not knowing what the valid reason was for the way the calls occurred. Might be time for you and Tess to exercise a little Emily Litella humor and do a "Never mind!" post! ;)

BTW, James, thanks for the many reports on this thread. I've been thinking about how many years you've been hanging in with NewTek - I can remember you on the newsgroups and forums more than a decade ago when I was just starting here. You've provided content that we in turn provided for download or with the product pretty much ever since as well, if I recall correctly. Great to see you being so active here, and please know that NewTek and a great many users appreciate your efforts and contributions over the years, and I certainly do personally as well.

And Tess - thanks as well! Wow, have you been busy on the bugs!

jgjones
02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Yikes.

I guess I fell victim to the "not expressing myself very well" bug. Indeed, my comment was directed at myself, as I regarded my observation of the the way the SDK works as based on my very limited knowledge of the way it's designed.

Apologies for my easily-misinterpreted comment. I'll try to be less vague in the future.

And thanks, Chuck, for the kind words -- I'd like to say that the eagerness I've seen by NewTek to listen to users and aggressively pursue and fix bugs is very admirable and encouraging.

-Jim

adamsanders
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
A portion of lower timeline to the right in Layout doesn't show when stretching the window across dual monitors. I can work and scrub in it, I just can't see it. This has been a bug I've seen as long as I've had dual monitors, so since 6.5. I've been using a P4 with a few ATI and Nvidia cards, and have used Win 2k and XP.

colkai
02-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Yikes.

I guess I fell victim to the "not expressing myself very well" bug. Indeed, my comment was directed at myself

Ok, my bad - shoot me now ;)
See my humor implant was failing yesterday hehe.
Boy do I feel daft, sorry 'bout that JG - as Chuck says, maybe I need to chill a bit :p

See - now I *knew* there was an excuse to go and pour myself a large whisky, maybe it was me subconcious complaining of a lack of the good stuff?

Anyhoo, colour me suitably emarassed. :D

Tesselator
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Yikes.

I guess I fell victim to the "not expressing myself very well" bug. Indeed, my comment was directed at myself, as I regarded my observation of the the way the SDK works as based on my very limited knowledge of the way it's designed.

Apologies for my easily-misinterpreted comment. I'll try to be less vague in the future.

And thanks, Chuck, for the kind words -- I'd like to say that the eagerness I've seen by NewTek to listen to users and aggressively pursue and fix bugs is very admirable and encouraging.

-Jim

Yup! Whoops here too. :D Sorry man...

mdunakin
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I accidentally posted this twice.

mdunakin
02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Chuck sent me here.

So, I'll do my best to give whatever info is needed?
I originally posted this in the LW newsgroup comp.graphics.apps.lightwave.
Please let me know what pertinant info I should post here for you?
So far I can tell you that I'm running:
XP Pro sp2 latest updates
P4 3ghz
2gigs RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 XT (Ithink, the most recent drivers?)
Asus MOBO, latest BIOS available flashed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This was the original posting, followed up with my confirmation of being able to recreate the problem.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, it turns out, that even though I now "can" see the image in the Viper window, it NEVER works properly.
In otherwords, the image ALWAYS comes out as just a silloette (like a black cutout) with no Lighting or Coloring or anything.
I took a screen shot of it, so I can send it in, as I also found some sort of bug or weirdness with switching between Option Panels sometimes.
I could be working with the Light Option Panel open and then be switching back and forth from the Lights Option Panel to the
Objects Option Panel, and sometimes, the Lights Panel still stays open, instead of switching automatically over to the Objects Panel.

If you all think this is a buggy situation, then I'll send it in to the Bug Report people?

................md :)
Here's the screen shot of what I'm talking about.
Look at how Viper looks, as well as look at which panel is opened for the Objects Option Properties Panel.
http://www.md-arts.com/BuggyNessStuff.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OK, "THIS" time, I found out that I CAN recreate the Properties Panels problems I've been having,
If anyone needs me to make a few screen shots, or video clip of my movements, I will?
Basically though, it has to do with if I click on the Render button which opens up the Rendering panel.
From that point on, you NORMALLY should be able to simply click on the Camera/Lights or Objects buttons,
and it should automatically change over to the Panel that represents whatever button you selected,
only it stays in the Rendering Panel "UNTILL" you actually hit the "Properties" button to FORCE the change.

But!, it IS recreateable every time.... at least on MY system it is.
LW8.2.0.

....................md :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, like I say, if you need more info, just let me know, and I'll do my best to accomidate :)

JML
02-02-2005, 04:45 PM
anybody tried rendering a particle emitter on screamernet ?
(see before for more infos)

thanks

Tesselator
02-02-2005, 04:52 PM
048 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Dual Monitor Bug Confirmation. (see message from: adamsanders above)

There are many of these! Panels opening centered, not remembering locations,
etc. etc. This is usually from non-windows complient code but this one here I think
classifies as an actual bug. We all know it and how to produce it. See the pics
below for an example of it.

Look at the timeline - it's cut off. BTW, the DopeTrack behaves as expected as
you can see below.

adamsanders
02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting screens, tesselator. I was going to tonight.

Tesselator
02-02-2005, 07:25 PM
049 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Busted Buttons Bug.

The "Color" and "Black&White" buttons on the Virtual DarkRoom
panel are busted. The one's inside the "Advanced Settings" work
but not the ones on the main panel. Also the "Advanced Settings"
panel has never recieved the unification overhaul for the new
look of more recent versions of Lightwave. GUI Esthetics but
still oughta be looked into - could even be the reason these
buttons are busted.

Recreation Steps

Add the Virtual Darkroom filter to either the
"Image Editor --> Processing --> Add Filter" filter
list or the "Effects --> Processing --> Add Image
Filter" image filter list.
Double Click on the list entry for the Virtual
Darkroom filter.
Try clicking on the "Color" or "Black&White"
buttons.
Result -- Nothing happens at all.

Tesselator
02-02-2005, 07:35 PM
050 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

Exposer Init Trash

Recreation Steps

Install Lightwave on a fresh machine or a
machine that has never had the "Exposer"
filter run on it.
Add the "Exposer" filter to the "Image
Editor --> Processing --> Add Filter" filter list.
Double Click on the list entry for the
"Exposer" filter.
Behold the trash on several entry fields.

There are 256 "*" characters in one of the
numeric fields that require holding [Back
Space] down for for aprox 15 sec. to clear.
A new user will assume it is either broken
or not a numeric entry gadget. :o

See the graphic below:

colkai
02-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Well, it turns out, that even though I now "can" see the image in the Viper window, it NEVER works properly.
In otherwords, the image ALWAYS comes out as just a silloette (like a black cutout) with no Lighting or Coloring or anything.
I took a screen shot of it, so I can send it in

Mark,
As I replied in the newsgroup - I get *almost* this same action in LW8.2 - but the object is just never illumiated, rather than being a pure silhouette it is just almost black, regardless of how I alter the lights, though adding a light fixes this. Mind you, I get the same action in LW7.5 as well, so I wonder if it is scene related.

Cannot confirm your results though, this on a PC Win 2000.

colkai
02-03-2005, 02:52 AM
049 - Busted Button bug (as reported by Tess)

Can confirm. Win 2000 PC / 1GB ram / FX5200 agp card

Joscci
02-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Hmmm.... I don't think this is a bug. I've always thought that the the Black & Wite / Color buttons on the Virtual Darkroom panel are there not as buttons but as 'indicators' based on the current state of the parameters by the same name in the Advanced Settings panel. If you go to the Advanced Settings and change this parameter, it will reflect on the 'indicator' buttons on the main panel.

Then again, it COULD indeed be a bug.

My $0.02.

JoeJustice
02-03-2005, 08:59 AM
JML . . . Yeah, the particle system not working over the screamers is a bug. I posted it as but number 8. So I guess we can say it's officially confirmed now :)

JML
02-03-2005, 09:29 AM
JoeJustice - oops, did not see that.. (kind of glad to know that somebody else have the same problem)

Tesselator
02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Hmmm.... I don't think this is a bug. I've always thought that the the Black & Wite / Color buttons on the Virtual Darkroom panel are there not as buttons but as 'indicators' based on the current state of the parameters by the same name in the Advanced Settings panel. If you go to the Advanced Settings and change this parameter, it will reflect on the 'indicator' buttons on the main panel.

Then again, it COULD indeed be a bug.

My $0.02.

Yeah, I can see why you might thnk that. But they
mouse-over-highlight and are rendered as clickable
buttons. Also they make more sense there as buttons
than as indicators. If they are indicators (which I hope they
aren't!) then a different type of element and layout
should be used for the indication in order to unify it
with the rest of the LW application GUI.

DigitalDeuce
02-03-2005, 10:23 AM

new sgi.p and sgi64.p plugins don't work in 8.2. I do a lot of work for military simulation companies and these image loaders are very necessery to me but when I try to load a *.rgb or *.sgi image nothing happens....I found a work around replacing the new plugs by the older ones (from 8.01)...but it's still annoying...

Can you send me images to test with?

send them to me directly please.

Chrusion
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
... click on the Render button which opens up the Rendering panel. From that point on, you NORMALLY should be able to simply click on the Camera, Lights, or Objects buttons, and it should automatically change over to the Panel that represents whatever button you selected, only it stays in the Rendering Panel "UNTILL" you actually hit the "Properties" button (or p key - ds) to FORCE the change.

I can confirm this annoying one. Been like this since 7.x (maybe even 6.x) !

I don't like the render, global illumination, lensflare, and motion options
panels being the same panel as the properties panel. What if I WANT motion
OPTIONS open AT THE SAME TIME as camera PROPERTIES or Global Illum
open at the same time as Light Properties? Can't be done.

Shouldn't Options be treated different than Properties?

DigitalDeuce
02-03-2005, 10:45 AM
We are trying to keep this "on the topic of 8.2" bugs -- trust me that old bugs are being treated as well -- but please, keep this on topic?

Thanks.

hunter
02-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Along with with the dual monitor issues, I've always had the problem of the graph editor not allowing me to see my selected keys or see them moving when I drag them around on the secondary monitor unless I have it set to horizontal span, in which case it works. Anybody else seen this?

mdunakin
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM
colkai, yep, I know you posted that in the other group, I just posted here because Chuck sent me here.
But, at least it does this to someone else, and not just me.

And as for the Properties Panels deal, I never remember that one being a problem in any earlier version, and that was why I posted it up.
Because for me it was the first time I heard about such weirdness.

So, as far as I knew, it "was" a bug for a newer version of LW.
And besides, it seems like no one is noticing the main part of that screen shot I posted up, which shows that I have the Objects button selected, yet in the Properties Panel, it's showing the "LIGHTS" Properties.
That's a deffinate bug, and I was sent here to report it.
I'm gonna open up 7.x and see if it'll do the same thing,
which I never remember it ever doing this weirdness?
I guess I'm saying to Deuce, (if he was refering to my posts?) is that I didn't know this was an old bug and that's why I posted it.
And since it IS in 8.2 then it's still an 8.2 bug.

Anyway...............md :)

Tesselator
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM
We are trying to keep this "on the topic of 8.2" bugs -- trust me that old bugs are being treated as well -- but please, keep this on topic?

Thanks.

Well all LW bugs that are currently in 8.2 are indeed 8.2 bugs. :D Right?

Or do you just mean bugs in the new features? I was kinda hopping that
THIS was the time... that THIS was the opertunity to get rid of all these
nasty pests once and for all in THIS next release comming up. Sure 100%
may not be achievable but surly 90% could be confirmed and repaired in
one go... Ya?

Hang in there Deuce... we're behind you!

mdunakin
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
OK, I just did the test with LW7.5c and yes, the Render deal works differently from the others, but I always knew about that one.

And I'm saying, that no one is getting or understanding the bug I'm pointing out.
When you hit the Render "Options", that's NOT a Properties Panel.
Look at my screen shot closer and you'll see right there what bug I'm refering to.
The weirdness I'm speaking is NOT like what I'm hearing people refer to.
Mine (as seen in the screen shot) http://www.md-arts.com/BuggyNessStuff.jpg is showing the "Properties" Panel "Button" still there, like you've been changed to the Properties Panel and you think you are and you click on all the other buttons, i.e. Objects, Bones, Lights or Camera and nothing changes until you manually hit the Properties Button again.
Now that I see what everyone else was refering to, I guess I can say that there is something screwy with things not being updated or something?
Because in the old version, the Properties Button would NOT be highlighted when you were in the Render Options Panel.

Though I too have to agree with the way this all works anyway, seems out of place, but whatever.

So, there you have it.......................md :)

Chuck
02-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Well all LW bugs that are currently in 8.2 are indeed 8.2 bugs. :D Right?

Or do you just mean bugs in the new features? I was kinda hopping that
THIS was the time... that THIS was the opertunity to get rid of all these
nasty pests once and for all in 8.2.1 Sure 100% may not be achievable
but surly 90% could be confirmed and repaired in one go... Ya?

Hang in there Deuce... we're behind you!

My intent when I launched the thread was simply to audit all bugs that exist as of 8.2; however, in the meantime, the development team set a goal of eliminating all bugs that were new as of 8.2 in the very next update. That being the case, let's do at least make sure to identify very clearly with the tagline "New as of 8.2!!", so that the team can track those.

Please also note that if an issue has been reported as a bug previously, and we haven't fixed it yet, you can still rest assured we haven't forgotten it, it is still on the list and we do plan to get to it - so what's most important for us to find out is what issues were introduced at 8.2 with the core changes we made.

Tesselator
02-03-2005, 03:23 PM
My intent when I launched the thread was simply to audit all bugs that exist as of 8.2; however, in the meantime, the development team set a goal of eliminating all bugs that were new as of 8.2 in the very next update. That being the case, let's do at least make sure to identify very clearly with the tagline "New as of 8.2!!", so that the team can track those.

Please also note that if an issue has been reported as a bug previously, and we haven't fixed it yet, you can still rest assured we haven't forgotten it, it is still on the list and we do plan to get to it - so what's most important for us to find out is what issues were introduced at 8.2 with the core changes we made.

So all that'll get addressed in the next update are the bone tool
bugs and a few other minor glitches?

Chuck
02-03-2005, 03:57 PM
So all that'll get addressed in 8.2.1 are the bone tool
bugs and a few other minor glitches?

That's not what I said ("Thank goodness!!!" eh? :) ). To echo Deuce, "Trust me that old bugs are being treated as well." We just want to make sure that among anything else that we get resolved in the next update, we also resolve absolutely everything introduced as of 8.2. Please also note that the designation of the next release has not been announced. Let's please avoid causing future confusion by not referring to it in any way other than "the next update" for now.

norvman
02-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Where may one go to see a list of bugs prior to 8.2? so that we will all know which are which?.... :confused:

mdunakin
02-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Ahhh,,, good one there norvman!
I'd like to know this too, so that way, I'm not reposting old hash.
Though the one that I posted that SHOWS the screen shot, IS a bug,
no dought about that, cuz screen shots don't lie.

http://www.md-arts.com/BuggyNessStuff.jpg

Objects Button is selected, yet the Properties Button IS highlighted
and yet you see that it's showing the Light's Properties in the Panel.

.......................md :)

kyuzo
02-04-2005, 03:45 AM
I haven't seen either of these reported as bugs yet...
Can anyone else confirm?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#053 - Powergons [LW8.2, WinXP]

1. Use this tutorial as a guide...
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/powergons/

...but in layout all powergons are converted to lights instead of the desired object.
This worked in 7.x

#051 - UV Spider [LW8.2, WinXP]

1. Create subpatched object.
2. create new UV map, uncheching the INITIAL VALUES option.
3. Select two adjacent polys, run UV spider.
4. If the interpolation in step 2 was linear, UV spider works. If set to the new subpatch , linear edges, etc it fails to create any polys in the UV window

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers,

Derek

#lwrs_web
02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I can see why you might thnk that. But they
mouse-over-highlight and are rendered as clickable
buttons. Also they make more sense there as buttons
than as indicators. If they are indicators (which I hope they
aren't!) then a different type of element and layout
should be used for the indication in order to unify it
with the rest of the LW application GUI.

Not a bug.

The buttons are indeed indicators, which switch in sync with buttons in "Advanced Settings".

adamsanders
02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Along with with the dual monitor issues, I've always had the problem of the graph editor not allowing me to see my selected keys or see them moving when I drag them around on the secondary monitor unless I have it set to horizontal span, in which case it works. Anybody else seen this?
That's a video card/driver issue. PM me your card make/model and I'll try to troubleshoot so that we don't muck up this thread.

#lwrs_web
02-04-2005, 11:59 AM
#050 - Powergons [LW8.2, WinXP]

1. Use this tutorial as a guide...
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/powergons/

...but in layout all powergons are converted to lights instead of the desired object.
This worked in 7.x

Works for me. (8.2, Win2000)

Using the demo object I get the same result in 7.5d and 8.2.
No lights appear, depending on the current selection new objects are created.

Update: see comment below.

#lwrs_web
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
#050 - Powergons [LW8.2, WinXP]

#051 - UV Spider [LW8.2, WinXP]

Please check the bugnumbers.

Bug #050 is already used for: Exposer Init Trash

#lwrs_web
02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Exposer Init Trash

Install Lightwave on a fresh machine or a
machine that has never had the "Exposer"
filter run on it.

Add the "Exposer" filter to the "Image
Editor --> Processing --> Add Filter" filter list.

trash on several entry fields.

Not reproducible.

Works for me with clean configs.
(German Windows 2000 Server, AMD 2GHz, 768MB RAM)

ColinCohen
02-05-2005, 02:52 PM
1. Start Modeler (with or without the hub.)
2. Either open a model or leave blank.
3. Click on the second layer. Modeler reports the object has changed.

On a similar, not-specific-to-8.2 note, Modeler often reports an object has changed when no change has ocurred. This issue, I believe is specific to the hub.

DigitalDeuce
02-05-2005, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=ColinCohen]1. Start Modeler (with or without the hub.)
2. Either open a model or leave blank.
3. Click on the second layer. Modeler reports the object has changed.
/QUOTE]

This specifically is not a bug -- you indeed have changed the model, as you have now activated a second layer.

ColinCohen
02-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Never mind. My error.

DigitalDeuce
02-05-2005, 03:03 PM
1. Run Bkg to Morph
2. Enter a name of the new morph. Whatever you type, it calls it BkgMorph.

Not here. What are your system specs?

kyuzo
02-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I have edited one of my previous posts, apologies for not noticing that #050 was already taken... I have renumbered the powergon bug #053, which I'm quite certain isn't taken.
#lwrs_web - Thanks for checking out the Powergon problem. I looked at it again after your post, and can now be a bit more specific: Objects which have the powergon command applied to polygons in 7.x Modeler will allow 8.x Layout to execute the DoPowergon command successfully.
Objects which have the powergon command applied to the polys in 8.x Modeler will produce lights in 8.x Layout when DoPowergons is used.
You didn't have a problem because you downloaded a model which had been setup in 7.x.
Anyone care to follow the tutorial, but create a model in 8.2, use the powergon command from the tutorial substituting your object and layer names and see what happens?

cheers,

Derek

#lwrs_web
02-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Objects which have the powergon command applied to the polys in 8.x Modeler will produce lights in 8.x Layout when DoPowergons is used.
You didn't have a problem because you downloaded a model which had been setup in 7.x.

OK, I think I know what's going on. It's the new (broken, IMHO) behavior of Input Fields, where you have to press TAB or ENTER to trigger the update of the value.

You can check it by opening your .lwo file in a hex editor and look at the embedded script commands. The Input Field has initially an AddSpotlight command, and if you close the requester by clicking on OK it will revert to this original commands no matter what you had typed in before.

If you press ENTER instead it will work as expected.

UPDATE: 8.2 Bug (worked in 8.0.1)

ColinCohen
02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know if this is 8.2 specific.

1. Add a marker to the dopetrack.
2. Save the scene.
3. Reload the scene.
4. You can't delete the marker with Delete Marker. If you click Clear All Keys, though, it gets deleted.

NormJ
02-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCohen
1. Run Bkg to Morph
2. Enter a name of the new morph. Whatever you type, it calls it BkgMorph.

Not here. What are your system specs?

The name change does not take unless you either press the Enter key or tab off of the Name field prior to clicking OK. With that in mind, works fine for me.

HuGE
02-06-2005, 08:24 PM
LW 8.2, OS: Win XP, P4 2.2G, 512MB

Description:

When rendering a multiple camera scene, all but 1 camera will be deleted from the scene.

Steps:

1- Create a scene with 3 cameras

2- In the Master Plugins (ctrl-Q), setup the Camera Selector plugin.

3- Then, in the motion option of each camera (add modifier), activate the Camera Trigger plugin.

4- Try either a scene render, a frame render or an object render. It will delete all cameras but one in the scene.
(and you'll have this error message = There must be at least one camera in the scene.)

I think the problem is the modifier plugin Camera Trigger.

Anyone?

HuGE

#lwrs_web
02-07-2005, 01:06 AM
3- Then, in the motion option of each camera (add modifier), activate the Camera Trigger plugin.

This step isn't needed in LW 8.

But you are right with LW7.5 (which needed the motion modifier) scenes loaded into LW8.

kyuzo
02-07-2005, 02:52 AM
#053 Powergons - Well spotted lwrs_web you are correct.
I agree that the TAB / OK Button or ENTER is a strange change in behaviour, and I for one would prefer it back the way it was, unless there is a good reason behind it that we just don't know about... (In which case, I'd like to hear the reason!)

regards,

Derek

spec24
02-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Whenever I mirror something Merge Points (within the mirror dialogue box) does not merge points - I have to do it manually after the mirror operation.

Joscci
02-07-2005, 09:22 AM
I don't know if this is a bug, but perhaps someone can shed some light into how can I resolve this problem.

For some strange reason I can no longer start the Expression Editor found in the Utilities Tab> Plugins: Master Plugins [CTRL]+[Q] > Add Layout or Scene Master > Expression Editor. When I double click on the name in the list to bring up its panel I get the following error:

Error: EXPRESSIONEDITOR.LSC
line 478, invalid argument 2 type to reqsize()

This happens in (v8.2), but it doesn't happen in (v8.0). This happens even after I reboot, start a new scene with no objects loaded. It still happens.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

#lwrs_web
02-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Confirmed. LW8.0.1 and LW8.2

UPDATE:
FIX:
using regedit goto
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NewTek\LScript\2.0\LS-MC
and delete the ...EXPRESSION_EDITOR.lsc subkey

ColinCohen
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Expression Editor works for me.

#lwrs_web
02-07-2005, 11:07 AM
It has to do with the new autoload masters mode.
nil values are written into the registry when you remove the autoloaded Expression Editor from Master Plug-ins without opening it's options.

Joscci
02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Confirmed. LW8.0.1 and LW8.2

UPDATE:
FIX:
using regedit goto
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NewTek\LScript\2.0\LS-MC
and delete the ...EXPRESSION_EDITOR.lsc subkey

Yes!!! It works. Thank you so much, #lwrs_web! I tried your suggestion and it works. And you are right. There are two key-variables that were set to the following:

window_h = nil::
window_w = nil::

This was my computer with v8.2, but when I checked the keys on v8.0 which works for me, these variables had the following:

window_h = nil::480
window_w = nil::640

Anyways, I tried what you suggested and simply deleted the folder where these keys reside, and now they're up to date with the correct values.

Thanks, Again! :o)

HuGE
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
This step isn't needed in LW 8.

But you are right with LW7.5 (which needed the motion modifier) scenes loaded into LW8.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know about that. :)

I'll modify my 7.5 scenes then, thanks again.

HuGE

ehallein
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Windows XP, multiple pc configs at least 1gb ram. Visuialstudio .NET

Creating a custom particle system using the lightwave sdk as a Custom Object handler that load data from files for position data.

1. Particle blur is turned on automaticly when render scene is selected and a frame is being saved when using a custom psys, however the camera option stays unticked. The viewport will also show the blur. This does not occur when a only render frame is done. The only way to remove is to restart layout.

2. The option when creating a psys allows certain buffers to be enabled or not. If you do not add a LWPSB_VEL buffer, when lightwave tries to do motion blur on the particles (by force in this case) errorous blurs occur and lightwave crashes. Should lightwave not check if a velocity buffer is enabled or not and if not ignore the particle blur?

ArtisticVisions
02-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Normally, when you apply Edges and click on Sharp Creases, an outline would appear where the model where the angle of the model changes - an example would be the folds of clothing or a character's chin. As of 8.2, however, this no longer happens. Now, if you turn Sharp Creases on on an object who's Surface has Smoothing turned on, you now get oulines which are a cross between Unshared Edges and Other Edges - times 10. Regardless of the type of model, this problem occurs over and over is Smoothing is turned on (note: if Smoothing is turned off, the Sharp Creases Edges won't render at all). For me and everyone else who is doing work in NPR rendering (celshading, etc.), who relies on using LW Edges to give our models outlines, this is a HUGE issue.

(to see some examples of what I'm talking about, I set up a thread over the CGTalk about this problem as well: link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=208507))

gaetan
02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
I

In the Object Properties: Render Tab, the two last buttons doen't work!
in the last version (8.0.1) this buttons work good, but now nothing.
Only the Receive shadow works good.

lw 8.2, intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz, dual with 2Gigs rams window 2000

colkai
02-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Well I am getting odd things happening, like when in textured wireframe mode, my poly lines disappear or take on an odd appreance. (I am also getting lags which I didn't use to get, but not so often that I can quantify them).
Same PC, same graphics card / drivers etc... but 8.2 definitely has some OGL problems over 8.01 Win 2000, FX5200 AGP card, NVidia drivers, (though I get excatly the same on my old PC with an Elsa Erazor X2 card).

Example...first pic is 8.01, second is 8.2, I've attached the object - which really could be any simpler. The more complex the object, the more I "lose" the lines in textured wireframe mode.

Lightwolf
02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Colkai, did you try with and without "Simple Wireframe Edges" in the display menu in Modeler?

Cheers,
Mike

Wade
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM
#053 Powergons - Well spotted lwrs_web you are correct.
I agree that the TAB / OK Button or ENTER is a strange change in behaviour, and I for one would prefer it back the way it was, unless there is a good reason behind it that we just don't know about... (In which case, I'd like to hear the reason!)

regards,

Derek

I second that really slows me down - the way it is now.

Wade

mkiii
02-10-2005, 02:34 AM
The past 6 months almost no 'crashes'.
But since the upgrade, my system regularly just 'freezes', and I have to force a restart. (And it's not the graphics card or it's driver.)

I would sure like to know if I'm the only one having this kind of trouble?

You are not alone. Myself & others have posted on this modeler freezing in other posts.

Since upgrading to 8.2 from 8.01 Modeler has been locking up almost completely on a seemingly random basis. Often when working on a low poly object with small textures. IE a game character. This does not appear to happen when I am working on a hi poly object with NO texture maps applied.

I never had this problem on any machine with any previous modeler version.

Some reports implied that this problem is caused by the hub autosave. I can confirm that the lockups happen regardless of the hub autosave settings.

I get the same problem on 2 separate machines. One a Geforce4 Ti machine, with 1GB RAM & XP Pro, the other with ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB RAM & XP Pro.

This bug has made modeler impossible to use, and has caused me to lose work. I have checked the upgraded files, and all relevant files are updated, and have the latest file dates.

I have also encountered spurious problems that seem to be related to the modeler display. All of these apart from No1 (ATI only) happen on the NVidia & the ATI machines I use.

[EDIT] I can confirm that disabling the hub completely seems to stop the locking up of modeler. I never had problems with the hub before installing this upgrade btw.

1: Dragnet tool size display corrups the viewport on the ATI machine. It seems that the blue circle is not being drawn correctly, and instead of just redrawing the blue circle, grabs the entire area within, and paints it on screen like a brush.

2: UV Map Display corrupts often. Spurious vertices are left behind after cutting & pasting or copying sections of maps to other UV maps, and can not be removed.

3: Free move doesnt allow me to use the Rotate 90 degrees +/- tool. This works only if I unweld the selection. The same applies to flipping UVs horizontally & vertically.

4: Spurious polygon selection on points that are off screen when selecting a group of polys that are in the viewport now seems worse than it was in previous version. I now have to constantly check the Sel: window to make sure modeler has not selected polys that are not visible. Especially important when I am merging or deleting polys.

5: UV Points are randomly displayed as red points regardless of whether they are seams or not.

6: UV points selected are often not shown as selected until I force a redraw of the viewport.

daveythegravy73
02-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi,

One problem that I am having in 8.2 is that the Saturation tool has zero effect on my renders. This work fine in 8.1 though:S.

Best Wishes

daveythegravy

Joscci
02-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi,

One problem that I am having in 8.2 is that the Saturation tool has zero effect on my renders. This work fine in 8.1 though:S.

Best Wishes

daveythegravy

Hmmmm... are you talking about the Color Saturation parameter in the Effects: Processing Tab [CTRL]+[F8] ? If that's it, I can't confirm your problem, it seems to work fine for me. (v8.2). :confused:

Lewis
02-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I get the same problem on 2 separate machines. One a Geforce4 Ti machine, with 1GB RAM & XP Pro, the other with Matrox Millenium 9800 Pro, 1.5GB RAM & XP Pro.

This bug has made modeler impossible to use, and has caused me to lose work. I have checked the upgraded files, and all relevant files are updated, and have the latest file dates.

Hi !

I don't have such problems in modeler (8.0.1 nor 8.2) working on Nvidia 5950Ultra with 70.xx drivers but other thing in your post got my attention.

What car is it that -- "Matrox Millenium 9800 Pro" ? I built hundreds of PC machines and i never heard or saw such GFX card ?

There is ATi Radeon 9800 Pro or Matrox Millenium I/II (very very old GFX cards) or Matrox Parhelia (+ "light" parhelias named as P750/P650) but never heard of "Matrox Millenium 9800Pro" ?????

Can you check better what is GFX card in your machine maybe it is drivers issue ? For nvidia i would recoomend to go to www.guru3d.com and download latest FORCEWARE but for ATI there is also Catalyst drivers there.

cheers

prospector
02-12-2005, 04:27 AM
#60 Bones jump on selection
Looked at all 5 pages here and saw nothing so it may be my machine.

Select a bone then rotate or size or move and then keyframe it.
Select another bone and do same,
Previous bone jumps back to original position.

Have to move slider a frame and then back to update and then it will hold.
Seems to be new in 8.2

ColinCohen
02-12-2005, 08:04 AM
1. Move frame slider to -10 (or any negative value.)
2. Open GE and select Create Key from GE menu. The panel requests to create a key on frame -9 (or one ahead from the current negative frame.)

When creating a key from the main interface, the correct frame number appears in the panel.

Axis3d
02-12-2005, 01:31 PM

Seems to be new in 8.2

I have tried the method you described and cannot replicate the problem. I've even tried it with Auto Key Create on and off. I've tried scaling, moving, and rotating, but can't duplicate it.

prospector
02-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Hmmm
8.1 on other mach is fine
hmmm what did I do different?
Hmmm
gotta work on it then as it must be here

norvman
02-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Seems to be new in 8.2

This sounds more like the Bone Tools problem... #009 BoneSplit problem and #011 bone Rig Failure...

Some of us have been copying over the 8.2 bone tool plugs with the 8.0.1 versions and getting them to work ... for a temporary fix...

toby
02-12-2005, 05:37 PM
PLEASE fix Modeler so it stops randomly selecting polygons when you're zoomed in. This has been around since, I think, LW7.0?

(and no, this is not polygons on the back of the object. )

prospector
02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Brought from another thread per Chuck;

#61 and still #60 after removing and reloading LW

OK this is not going to be fun.

Every time I go to load this thing, I have to go into scene editor, highlight all the bones and then click on 'record bone rest position' hitting 'r' doesn't do it.

Maby the coders there at Newtek could take a look and add a few lines to loading a scene with motion mixer to;

select all bones after motion mixer loads and gets all it's information, and record rest position.

At least it would be automatic.

I STILL get bone jumping back to it's original spot (pre keyframing) after I move one,keyframe it, and select another bone...as soon as I start to move the next bone, the previous one jumps back to it's spot before it was keyframed.

This must be also part of the bonetools everyone seems to be having troubles with.
It sure makes for long days when you have to remember to move slider to lock the previous move down.

w_will
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I can confirm #009
Tested on several Win XP machines (sp1 & 2)running nVidia graphic cards
I would like to add that if I have classic scene editor open when doing a bone split Modeler crashes.

#62 - with skelegon tree open - double click a skelegon to rename - clicking OK does not work ie the name does not change. Hitting {ENTER} key does update the name. Not sure if this is new or not.

StereoMike
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I found a bug while dealing with layers in the displacement map channel of an object.
Here it goes

1. Get an object into layout
2. Add a null object
3. Add a displacement map (any procedural will do).
4. Click on a channel envelope (any will do)
5. graph editor: add modifier: channel follower: follow any channel of the null
6. texture editor : copy layer
7. add to layers or replace layers

->Crash

Tesselator
02-16-2005, 03:17 AM
So here's what we got so far:

BUG Number and Title Confirmed By 8.2 Submit By Status
--------------------------------------------------------- ------------ --- ---------- --------
001 - Alpha Channel / Shadow Density Bug. colkai Yes jgjones Bug
002 - LW8.2 handles image sequence fields incorrectly JoeJustice No jgjones Bug
003 - Crash in Master LScripts with flags callback Yes #lwrs_web
004 - *.rgb and *.sgi file format broken in 8.2 jgjones Yes romrom74 Bug
005 - Modeler Numeric tab don't alow small sizes Yes Lewis UI Mod
006 - Lightwave Hang Problem when in UV Display Mode JamesCurtis Yes NormJ Bug
007 - Change in behavior of numeric tool No dgary Not Bug
008 - Saved Motion is required on ALL PS for net render Yes JoeJustice
009 - Split Bones malfunction colkai Yes tischbein3 Bug
010 - Modeler, frozen unmodifyable polys ?? dblanky
011 - Import Rig Fails JoeJustice No tischbein3 Bug
012 - Perlin Noise (recursive pattern error) Tesselator No jgjones Limit
012 - Scene Editor - Multi-Select bug Tesselator Yes Axis3d UI Mod
013 - Master Plugin List/Load Redundancy bug No Axis3d
014 - Segment memory limit display not updating colkai Yes 3dworks
015 - RLA image i/o problems Tesselator Yes jgjones Bug
016 - Record Pivot Rotation not working. ?? Axis3d
017 - Points not showing up in wireframe mode No JML Not Bug
018 - PLD AA modes not available as menu command JoeJustice Yes 3dworks Bug
019 - UV viewport in modeler BG image name - missing 3dworks Yes hunter Bug
020 - Lght and Camera Clone names in properties - missing 3dworks Yes hunter Bug
021 - Layer Loading disfunctionality Noratio Yes erroLux Bug
022 - Move TCB tool bugs Yes jgjones
023 - Parented hierarchy load/save failier Yes erroLux
024 - Mirror Hierarchy Function - Replace String ?? Joscci
025 - Bone Delete bug Tesselator Yes Joscci Bug

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------ --- ---------- -------
026 - Multi Layer Object I/O Bug Yes peteb
026 - MultiLayer Object - No Visable Layers Found Error erroLux Yes Tesselator Bug
027 - Layout crashes on "Cvt Skeilgons" ?? Tesselator Bug
028 - PSD Loader fails on some (all?) grey scale images ?? Tesselator
029 - Scene Editor - Option settings are not remembered ?? Tesselator
030 - Scene Editor - Range Selection Focus Error ?? Tesselator
031 - MMB Drag Selection Box - Render Error Yes Tesselator Bug
032 - DopeTrack "Delete Keys" Error ?? Tesselator Bug
033 - MultiItem KeyFrame creation Jumble Bug ?? Tesselator Bug
034 - Toroid Terror Bug ?? Tesselator Bug
035 - Tif loader makes an incorrect alpha channel Yes jgjones
036 - MouseWheel Mode Change (focus error) ?? hunter
037 - The Putrid ParametricObj Bug ?? Tesselator Bug
038 - PointClone UV Masher Bug ?? Tesselator
039 - Layout Perspective View Autofit Error ?? Tesselator
040 - Viper Render Error ?? Tesselator Bug
041 - Viper Display Init Bug No Tesselator
042 - Save Keys Button with JOLT! ?? Joscci
043 - BMP.p saving incorrect RGBA images ?? jgjones
044 - Redundant LWLayoutTool "draw" function calls ?? jgjones
045 - Config files/plugins load error if started by Hub ?? Librarian
046 - RenderNodes Can't Render Hypervoxel Yes JML
047 - Properties Panels Recreateable Now simagic No mdunakin
048 - Dual Monitor UI Display Bug Tesselator No adamsanders Bug
049 - Virtual Darkroom Busted Buttons Bug. colkai No Tesselator Bug
050 - Exposer Init Trash Yes Tesselator

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------ --- ---------- -------
051 - UV Spider ?? kyuzo
052 - Misreported Object Change Duece ?? ColinCohen Not Bug
053 - Powergons #lwrs_web Yes kyuzo
054 - Mirror tool does not Merge Points ?? spec24
055 - Multiple cameras deletion bug #lwrs_web Yes HuGE Bug
056 - Can't start Expression Editor #lwrs_web ?? Joscci
057 - Particle system bugs (SDK) Yes ehallein
058 - LW Edges, Sharp Creases "issues" Yes ArtisticVi
0?? - Functionless Object Shadow Options ?? gaetan
059 - OGL problem in modeller ?? colkai
060 - Bones jump on selection Yes prospector
061 - Graph Editor - Minor Problem ?? ColinCohen
062 - Skelegon tree rename disfunction Yes w_will
063 - Crash on copy of displacement map ?? StereoMike
064 - Joint Morph Designation error Yes prospector
065 - Default Bone Selection Misbehavior Yes w_will

Some things to remember:

Try to make sure that the bug is at least reproducable on your
system before posting.
Remember to give it a number.
Check to see that the number you select isn't already in use.
Please include the Recreation Steps necessary to produce the
bug.
Make sure it's a bug and not just a complaint. Complaints are
probably welcome in a different thread but it makes this one hard
to follow when posting here.
Check your bug against this list to make sure it's an original bug
or post it as a confirmation to the bug number specified here.
If you forget the number of get something wrong the "EDIT"
button at the bottom of your message post works. Edit and
save changes.
Pray for NewTek if you're a person of prayer. :D

Note: This link ( http://vbulletin.newtek.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#code )
says that "The {code} tag switches to a fixed-width (monospace) font
and preseves all spacing." But it's not working in My Browser. Maybe
the web guys can look into this.

It Should look like:

prospector
02-16-2005, 03:32 AM
#64 Create Joint Morph

Still putting morphs on ALL points in model tho not all moved.

Move a leg...Eye gets morph listing
got 300 different morphs? EVERY point will list 300 morphs in info panel.
And in LW..0's are not the same as none.

w_will
02-16-2005, 05:54 AM
# 65 No bones selected by default. To see what I mean add a null to the scene. Then add a Bone, then a pair of child bones. Select the Object from the lower left corner and your Null is selected. Select Bones, and none are selected. This worked under 8.0, but is broken in 8.2.

I see #62 didn't make the list. Gee folks these (62 & 65) aren't creating crashes, but they make it darn hard to animate, and setup rigs.
I can duplicate both bugs on my laptop and my VT3 machines, both are running XP if that helps.

Tesselator
02-16-2005, 07:12 AM
I see #62 didn't make the list. Gee folks these (62 & 65) aren't creating crashes, but they make it darn hard to animate, and setup rigs.
I can duplicate both bugs on my laptop and my VT3 machines, both are running XP if that helps.

Whoops... my bad! I didn't see it under the text there and assummed
it was just a 009 confirmation... :p

Ok, the list is updated and reflects all up to 065

Btw, to explain this list here a little:

BUG Number and Title
Obviously the number of the bug as it appears in this thread (note
however there are some duplicates 12 and 26 and there was one
in the middle of 58 and 59 with no number at all), and the title or
short discription that the bug reporter gave. It the discriptive title
was too long for my field length I made one up based on the given
discription.

Confirmed By
The 1st person to legitimately confirm the specified bug got the
credit for confirmation. Really, a bug isn't a bug till it's confirmed
- either by one of us or by NewTek. If they can't reproduce it they
can't fix it.

Designates whether or not this is an 8.2 exclusive. Yes just means
that the bug reporter said it was indeed new to 8.2 with no other
confirmations in the thread to the contrary. No means there is
evidence of its existence prior to LW8.2 and the "??"s mean it
wasn't specified by the person reporting it and no other comments
were made about "which version" in this thread.

Submit By
The person who was the 1st one to post it in this thread gets the
credit for submission. It used to be that NewTek gave prizes for
"the most reported" bugs but I don't see any mention of that.
Still even if they don't give someone a toaster or something it's
fun to tally up. :)

Status
Bug
Confirmed and is definatly something busted.
UI Mod
An undesirable or improperly implimented modification to
the GUI - Or one that is simply misunderstood.
Not Bug
Someone official or VERY versed in the operation
of LW3D can show or claims that it is either an intended
behavior or simply not reproducable under any normal
circumstances on a similar system.
Blank
Means no other credible confirmation exists in this thread
for the entry.

On a personal note:
I still have a buttload more to report but I'm not finding the motivation
to document them and type them in. My personal life is a shambles
right now and I want to spend my time in the software I use to get as
much instant gratification as possible. Sorry about that all. :rolleyes:

brap
02-16-2005, 09:50 AM
PLEASE fix Modeler so it stops randomly selecting polygons when you're zoomed in. This has been around since, I think, LW7.0?

(and no, this is not polygons on the back of the object. )

Confirmed.
Bug# : 66?
8.2 : No

btw, Tesselator, you are doing an incredible job here.

brap
02-16-2005, 09:57 AM
# 67 Texture Guide tool loses negative scaling

When performing a tweak to a texture placement guide using the Texture Guide tool, the scale will flip back to positive if it has previously been given a negative value.

8.2 exclusive: No

Axis3d
02-16-2005, 05:51 PM
032 - System 1: WinXP Home, P4 3.0g HT On, 2gig Ram, Ti4600 Ultra, Single Monitor | System 2: Win 2K Pro, AMD64 +3400, 3Gig Ram, FX5900 Plain, Dual Monitor

DopeTrack "Delete Keys" Error

Recreation Steps

MultiSelect 372 Bones (but any number should
produce the same results)
Open the DopeTrack
Double click in the DopeTrack on frame 21 to
create a key there (See Graphic Row 1)
LMB Ckick & Drag in the DopeTrack to select
the new key you just made on frame 21 (See
Graphic Rows 2 and 3)
Right Click on the selected key and choose
"Delete Keys" from the menu. (See Graphic
Row 4)
Error - the new key seems to remain but only
in the DopeTrack.

Notice that in the blue collumn selecting "Cut
Keys" instead of "Delete Keys" worked as we
expected .

When I select all the keys in the Dope Track, then choose "Delete", the keys remain in the Dope Track and in the timeline also. Choosing to "Cut" the keys did clear them from the Dope Track as expected. Pasting them back down works fine also.

gtanski
02-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Both images shows exacly the same scene.

This one is a screenshot from LW7
http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/lw7.png

and this is from 8
http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/lw8.png

Note the size of area lights on both screenshots. The size is wrong in LW8 (compared to size of object in modeler). In LW8 size shown in Layout does not match to the size used by renderer.

colkai
02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Can I re-iterate what Tess has said already.
When posting a bug, please provide a number, if possible get someone else t ocheck it out before coming here. Is this light size having any effect on the scene or is it purely a visual change.
Don't foget, the way Area lights are displayed has changed. Unless this is having an adverse effect on your lighting, it is a change of disaply NOT a bug.
As area lights are only in Layout - how can it be wrong compared to modeller.

Please people, let's help Newtek as much as possible by trying to adhere to the structure requested.
If you have a problem and are not sure it is a bug, create a thread elsewhere first, then when we can say yes it is, post it here and have someone formally confirm it.

gtanski
02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
This is a bug. The size of light in Layout does not match the size that is used in renderer.
Area light size can be simply verified with object in modeler. Just make a 1x1 meter square polygon and compare it with 1x1 meter size area light. It should match but in LW8 it does not (it does in 7.5).

Example scene in Layout. The size of area light visually matches the size of polygon, but numerical size of light is smaller then the size of polygon. Area light and polygon are very close (so perspective does not have importance).

http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/layout.png

... and the scene rendered with LW8.2

http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/renderer.jpg

When area light is 1x1 meter the lighting in renderer is OK, but is Layout the area light is bigger then polygon.

p.s. Bug #: 68

colkai
02-19-2005, 03:21 AM
This is a bug. The size of light in Layout does not match the size that is used in renderer.
When area light is 1x1 meter the lighting in renderer is OK, but is Layout the area light is bigger then polygon.

I don't understand, in the first sentence you say the light size for layout and the renderer don't match, but then you say the lighting is ok in the renderer.

gtanski
02-19-2005, 04:44 AM
The polygon on scene is 1x1 meter and when the light size is 1x1 meter (numerical) light covers whole polygon in renderer (and this is what I meant OK), but the area light size in layout is about 50% bigger than a size of polygon. I hope it is clear now.

Tesselator
02-19-2005, 12:28 PM
#068 Both images shows exacly the same scene.

This one is a screenshot from LW7
http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/lw7.png

and this is from 8
http://fenix.artur.info/kraytracing/lw8.png

Note the size of area lights on both screenshots. The size is wrong in LW8 (compared to size of object in modeler). In LW8 size shown in Layout does not match to the size used by renderer.

Yup, Confirmed (3 ways in about 20 different F9s). And yup, it's a bug.

colkai
02-20-2005, 01:56 AM
The polygon on scene is 1x1 meter and when the light size is 1x1 meter (numerical) light covers whole polygon in renderer (and this is what I meant OK), but the area light size in layout is about 50% bigger than a size of polygon. I hope it is clear now.

Yeah - thanks, sorry for my inability to process this ;)

mkiii
02-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi !

I don't have such problems in modeler (8.0.1 nor 8.2) working on Nvidia 5950Ultra with 70.xx drivers but other thing in your post got my attention.

What car is it that -- "Matrox Millenium 9800 Pro" ? I built hundreds of PC machines and i never heard or saw such GFX card ?

There is ATi Radeon 9800 Pro or Matrox Millenium I/II (very very old GFX cards) or Matrox Parhelia (+ "light" parhelias named as P750/P650) but never heard of "Matrox Millenium 9800Pro" ?????

Can you check better what is GFX card in your machine maybe it is drivers issue ? For nvidia i would recoomend to go to www.guru3d.com and download latest FORCEWARE but for ATI there is also Catalyst drivers there.

cheers

ERGHH! Of course you are correct. I had a brain spasm. it is of course an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I really dont know where I got the Matrox part from... I must have been suffering from post modeler lockup syndrome. BTW. The GF4 card has recent standard drivers. The ATI has Omega drivers. Both machines were just fine until I upgraded. Nothing else is causing any problems, just modeler.

tburbage
02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
I can only test this with 8.2, WinXP

The Modifiers tab of the Graph Editor fails to be updated (redrawn) when the channel/item selected changes due to a different item being selected in Layout or via the Scene Editor. This problem occurs when the Graph Editor is set to track item selections.

1) File > Clear Scene
2) ^F2 to open the Graph Editor.
3) (Graph Editor) Options -> [Track Item Selections: CHECKED], [OK]
3) Add a null - Items -> Add -> Null
4) Move the time slider to any key other than 0.
5) Move the null (or just set the channel value in main Layout UI): Z=1 m. Set keys on the Positions channels.
6) Select and move the Camera (or just set the channel value in main Layout UI): Y=1 m and set keyframes on the Position channels.
7) Move the time slider back to frame 0. Again select the null (note the Channel Bin in the Graph Editor now updates to show the channels with keys other than at frame 0)
8) In the Graph Editor, click the Null.Position.Y channel in the Bin
9) Click on the Modifiers tab. Click on Add Modifier and add any modifier

10) Select Camera. The first channel in the Bin is now highlighted, Camera.Position.X, which has no channel modifer applied to it, but the Modifiers pane still shows the modifer we had attached to Null.Position.Y. This can lead to some extreme confusion regarding which channels actually have the modifier attached to it!

Note if you physically click on another channel in the Bin, or double-click on items/channels in the lower part of the Bin area, the update does occur.

rebelr6
02-21-2005, 09:38 AM
<<snipped>> Due to not being a bug.

Lightwolf
02-21-2005, 09:50 AM
3. Delete the box (press "-")

Erm, afaik "-" is hide, not delete.

Cheers,
Mike

rebelr6
02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks. You've got no idea how embarassed I am :o
I was getting mixed up with Layout. I'm still a Lightwave newbie.

Lightwolf
02-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks. You've got no idea how embarassed I am :o

:p Lol, no worries :)

Cheers,
Mike

mspink
02-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Still waiting for response from support-

V8.2 won't render projection mapped images properly, have re- installed v8.01 and all's fine. Same scene/objects (created in 8.01) that renders blurred & stretched in 8.2 fine in 8.01.
Tried re-creating from scratch in 8.2 - still bad.
Attached are 8.2 & 8.01 renders of the same scene/objects.
Help!

DigitalDeuce
02-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Where's the scene?

mspink
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Sorry - been busy-as-a-bastrd! Here's the scene files...
Have squeezed the jpeg a bit but otherwise as used in v8.2 problem render...
Projection Mapping still working fine in v8.01 by the way!

System-
LW8.2 (8.01 since problems), XP Pro Sp2, AMD Athllon64 3200 (socket 754), 2Gb PC3200 DDR, N-Force3 Chipset Biostar miniPC, GeForceFX5700 256Mb

Axis3d
02-24-2005, 05:59 PM
#069? 8.2 blurring front-projected images in render/viper

I tried recreating this in 8.2 but it works fine. I do not get any blurring in the render at all. I tried all of the options in Front Projection (width & Height tile, Pixel blending on/off, etc.) but it worked fine every time.

WCameron
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
if you activate the Tick Box for FIXED PROJECTION it renders perfect. if the tic box
is empty it blures it.

thats really strange...

<edit> Even stranger! Now that I went back and checked again it now renders fine if the tic box is off now! its like something had to be activated first or something!

- Will.

colkai
02-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Loading up the scene and doing a render, I get exactly the same initital render as Axis3D.
This on W2K, AMD XP1800+, 1GB RAM, FX5200 AGP card.
Activation / De-Activation of fixed projection flag makes no difference.

mspink
02-25-2005, 05:38 AM
After previous posts I re-installed v8.2 leaving the config files well alone and rendered - here's the results (I almost like the DOF look but I'd rather chose that myself!)-
Still blurrs what rendered OK last night in v8.01 (same scene & objects) same fault as with the other scene - Help!

Just out of interest I'm installing the v8.2 download from Newtek Europe - any chance it's different from the US version?!?

Dodgy
02-25-2005, 11:36 AM
#70 Surf Mixer hows [none] when a surface is selected.

Add Surf Mixer to a surface, double click it to open it.
Choose a blend surface in the Blend Surface.
Drop down displays [none] instead of the chosen surface.

Surface is displayed correctly in the Plugin list, and renders correctly (albeit without any of the target surface's shaders!) but is only updated in the Blend Surface drop down when it's interface is opened afresh.

Jarno
02-26-2005, 07:26 PM
#71 Incorrect Distance to Camera gradient behaviour when raytracing transparency

With Raytrace Transparency on, if a ray goes through a semi-transparent object, the Distance to Camera gradient input actually uses the distance to the semi-transparent object instead of the distance from the camera.

To reproduce:
1) Add a ground plane to an empty scene
2) Set colour of ground plane to a gradient using Distance to Camera with a few colours spread out over a few metres
3) Add a simple object to the scene
4) Make object semi-transparent
5) Enable Ray Trace Transparency
6) Render and notice how the colour gradient on the ground plane seen through the object is offset compared with the other areas of the ground plane.

Example image uses three quads on a ground plane with colour gradient. Switching off transparency raytracing produces the correct result.

---JvdL---

Tesselator
02-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Still waiting for response from support-

V8.2 won't render projection mapped images properly, have re- installed v8.01 and all's fine. Same scene/objects (created in 8.01) that renders blurred & stretched in 8.2 fine in 8.01.
Tried re-creating from scratch in 8.2 - still bad.
Attached are 8.2 & 8.01 renders of the same scene/objects.
Help!

I can get the same bad results too but I'm pretty sure this
is not a bug. Reconstruct your scene scene and the problem
will go away. it's a combination of camera angle, object and
grig sizes, and the original source image resolution playing
hell with the Pixel Blending. :D

I had this happen to me allot with weird camera angles in
scenes comming from 5.0 into 5.5 and 5.6 and I think it's
something different either in the .lws file format or in the
way it is interpreted on read for translations, offsets and
whatnot. Anyway remake everything it in 8.2 (maybe with
smaller sizes too) and it'll go away.

mspink
02-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Tried the previous suggestions - still bad in V8.2 Attached are last re-trys, re built scene in 8.2, dropped image size to 2500 pix. square, re-mapped textures, no joy... Still looks fine in OpenGL in Layout too.

Tesselator
02-28-2005, 09:40 AM

Tried the previous suggestions - still bad in V8.2 Attached are last re-trys, re built scene in 8.2, dropped image size to 2500 pix. square, re-mapped textures, no joy... Still looks fine in OpenGL in Layout too.

Well we should start a new thread for this as it's gettingto the point of a
discussion . But you would want to increase the size not reduce it. Pivel
Blending ocurrs when the pixels of the image are of a lower density than
that needed for the displayed render. Well, that's not the proper
termonology exactly but it should produce a correct understanding.
If you zoom into an image such that the pixel ratio becomes greater
than one to one then Pixel Blending will ocurr (if it's turned on).

This still could very well be a rightious bug as I'm not sure why the
extreme angles and mapping reprojections would cause this - and
indeed didn't in your tests with 8.01... But I do believe if you rearange
things so that these camera angles are increased the trouble will go
away. You added the word "Help!" to your message and that's why
I offer these suggestions.

I'll look forward to posting possible solutions in a new thread on the topic
when you have the time if you still need help with this. It'd be a shame to
have to revert to 8.01 and regain the 80 or so bugs they fixed just to
get around this one - Though I guess you could leave both installed
with the -c alias directive. See:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1777

tischbein3
03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
69:

Setting the "maximum mipmap quality" in the the image panel to OFF. had solved it on my system.

...but I cannot confirm if this is a bug or not. (not that mipmap freak)

tischbein3
03-01-2005, 07:17 PM
#072: gradient texture layer looses alpha value after copy paste

new to 8.2: think so.

1. Create a gradient layer in the color channel set a new key with a lower alpha value

2. copy

3. go to diffuse channel

4. paste

-> alpha values are not correctly added to the new gradient

Carm3D
03-02-2005, 03:39 AM
I can confirm the thing at the top of this thread.. I created a UV Map on layer 1, went to layer 2, made some geometry in layer 2.. and with layer one in the background, I hit "a" and LW locked up... several times in a row.

Exper
03-02-2005, 05:29 AM
#71 and #72 confirmed.

Exper
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
#73: Trivial "Render Status" window problem

Just a trivial one (take a look at the attachment) but very annoying when you have to deal with a lot of big shadow maps.

A simple "Render Status" window restyle could fix it.

3dworks
03-03-2005, 04:22 AM
not sure if this was not reported before, but after a check in this long thread and on the forum i didn't find anything.

apparently there is a *major* bug when you render transparencies and have switched off objects within the scene editor. if there is a transparent object in front of a switched off object, this switched off object will be rendered as seen through the transparent object. if i switch the transparent object off (a simple plane geometry in my test file) the other hidden objects are not rendered, as expected.

i did first notice the bug in my current commercial project which is a quite complex architectural viz. then i built a new small test scene from scratch and thus can confirm the bug.

please can anyone else confirm this? is this a mac only problem? i'm a bit puzzeled that nobody did report this before - but maybe i'm missing something? :confused:

please see the test file in the attachment and render with and without the tranparent plane (the object is simply called 'plane' in the scene).

(edit: i did the test in LW 8.01 and 7.5 and have the same results! on the bright side, the scene renders correctly with fprime!)
(edit 2: this bug happens only when render options are set to raytrace transparency!)

markus

LW 8.2, OSX 10.3.8, powermac G5, 4G RAM, ATI radeon mac special edition, double monitor setup.

Yog
03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Oo, a couple more and the Lw8.2 "Bug added" list will be longer than the "Bug squashed" list :p

art_DA
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I have made a seven character word, (believe), and since I had forgotten to spread it out over 7 layers, I decided to clone the last six characters over the next seven layers.

My characters were all beveled before I had decided to clone to the other layers. When I cloned to layers, the characters were no longer beveled.

I tried just cloning to the same layer and the character I cloned to the same layer, kept it's bevel.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Art

art_DA
03-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Now that I have made successful bevels after having to import my "believe" logo in EVERY layer and THEN beveling each character in each layer separately, I have a new problem.
When I first started this logo model, before beveling, I extruded the character in the z axis and then beveled the character.
Now when I am in Layout, the entire extrusion along with the back face of each character is GONE.
What's UP?!?!?!?!?
Geeez! A simple logo animation that could probably be done in a million other programs and it's a freakin' chore in this one.
I am so frustrated that I think I'm going to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for this, but God almighty this is terrible!!!
This version of LW is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

art

Tesselator
03-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Well this is a pretty good result in the short time
that they've had! I'm sure they are still working
hard at it!

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw821/

Good job NewTek...

art_DA
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Tesselator, remember, this is beveling and extruding! A $200 3D program can do this OK?

Ok, now after coming back from lunch, I load up the
animation and low and behold......the extrusion and
the back face is there!
Weird.
I had the layout and modeling module open before I
went to lunch and there was no extrusion and backface
in layout, but there was in the model module.
I closed both modules when I went to lunch.
I come back and open only the layout module and load
the animation I worked on and there they were.
I must be losing my mind.
Jesus.

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry for the rant. It's
been a helluva day for me.
Art

hazmat777
03-04-2005, 01:03 AM
After installing 8.2.1 today my Start menu acts weird. See pic.

Athlon XP 1900+
512MB 333 DDR
MSI KT4 Ultra
ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT

3dworks
03-04-2005, 03:03 AM
After installing 8.2.1 today my Start menu acts weird. See pic.

Athlon XP 1900+
512MB 333 DDR
MSI KT4 Ultra
ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT

can we stay on topic in this thread for reporting only reproducible bugs please, because this seems to be a particular configuration issue. this thread is already quite difficult to follow...

thanks

markus

hazmat777
03-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Sorry for the trouble. Just thought someone else with the same config might have noticed the same thing. I'll keep it to myself next time.

mbr
03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
lightwave 8.2.1
i can´t add weight maps to bones in scene editor. if i do that = lw crashs
add weightmaps to bones in bone properties panel works.
somebody the same problem?

romrom74
03-04-2005, 04:26 PM
I already noticed this bug/feature in 8.2 with a scene I 've set up in 8.01 and wanted to render in 8.2. My matte painting was totally blured . I think it 's to do with the way LW wants to mimmap every image texture from now even ones applied with the front projection. Before lw didn't mipmap the textures with this kind of projection but now I'm afraid it does. So disabling the mipmaping for these textures does the trick. Mipmaping is very useful to lower moired artifacts and aliasings on normally projected textures (repeating themselves in perspective) but not very suitable for front projected images since they are made to adapt exactly to the camera resolution and aren't reapeated along the perspective...so if we keep the mipmaping checked, LW down samples too quickly the image entirely from the camera position until the bottom of the scene, hence the blured render.
the only way to get rid of this "bug" is to disable the mipmaping of the image(either in the texture editor or directly in the image editor). to be sure LW won't blend the precious pixels...
I'm not sure if its' really a bug..

w_will
03-05-2005, 04:07 PM
#76 Expressions fail to update under Motion Options. Error message of improper expressions gone as well.

To duplicate select a bone then press the keyboard shortcut "m" to open motion options. Select IK and Modifiers then in the bottom click "Add Modifier" select expression. Riht click expression,and select properties to get a Motion Expression popup. Enter an expression in the main portion or any of the scratch pads and hit continue the input is not saved. You can see this by reopening the properties.
I got around this by going using 7.5c which I now keep loaded on my machine. While entering an expression I had a typo and saw an error messgae this did not happen when the same typo is made in 8.2.1 Once the saved scene was brought back into 8.2.1 the expressions were visable in the properties panel.

Tested with cow_setup under the IK folder, and got the same results with any expression I entered, so I don't think it is my scene that is causing the problem.

Win XP Pro, Nvidia 4200 Go on a Dell D800.

PS I'm very glad to see the bone tools are fixed in 8.2.1 :O)

mspink
03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
69:

Setting the "maximum mipmap quality" in the the image panel to OFF. had solved it on my system.

...but I cannot confirm if this is a bug or not. (not that mipmap freak)

I already noticed this bug/feature in 8.2 with a scene I 've set up in 8.01 and wanted to render in 8.2. My matte painting was totally blured . I think it 's to do with the way LW wants to mimmap every image texture from now even ones applied with the front projection. Before lw didn't mipmap the textures with this kind of projection but now I'm afraid it does. So disabling the mipmaping for these textures does the trick. Mipmaping is very useful to lower moired artifacts and aliasings on normally projected textures (repeating themselves in perspective) but not very suitable for front projected images since they are made to adapt exactly to the camera resolution and aren't reapeated along the perspective...so if we keep the mipmaping checked, LW down samples too quickly the image entirely from the camera position until the bottom of the scene, hence the blured render.
the only way to get rid of this "bug" is to disable the mipmaping of the image(either in the texture editor or directly in the image editor). to be sure LW won't blend the precious pixels...
I'm not sure if its' really a bug..

Teach me not to read more slowly! Had never noticed the mipmap setting in the image editor - works a treat, complete cure! Suppose this is more of a 'feature' than a bug, begging the question why this 'feature' doesn't come with a big-fat 'warning' sign near by... Cheers all!

K'Ghal
03-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Even after installing 8.2.1 update I cannot export encapsulated postscript.

Every time I switch to UV Texture view and click Utilities/Additional/Export Encapsulated Postscript it pops up a small window which states "ExportEPS failed to start," or something like that.

Maybe I'm using the tool incorrectly?

Platform: PC, Win XP SP2, P4 1.7 GHz, 512 Ram

Has anyone encountered anything similar?

P.S. This problem persists on a "clean" installation of Lightwave: i.e. I reinstalled LW 8.0 and right after that ran all the updates: 8.01, 8.2, and 8.2.1.

ercaxus
03-08-2005, 10:23 PM
When you link a channel to another objects' channel in IK Booster, erase the object that is driving the motion, and LW crashes.

Step by step:

1- Create Null (with name x -very creative i know)

2- Draw Child Bones (I tried it with a 1 and a 2 bone chain)

3- Create Null (I named it y.)

4- Parent y to x

5- Apply IK Booster to x

6- While IK Booster is active, select y than select x

7- Right click on any of the channel values and from the menu select "add link"

8- select y and erase it " - " on keyboard or "Items Tab/Clear Selected"

9- Lightwave crashes. :eek:

mkiii
03-09-2005, 01:52 AM
I can confirm the thing at the top of this thread.. I created a UV Map on layer 1, went to layer 2, made some geometry in layer 2.. and with layer one in the background, I hit "a" and LW locked up... several times in a row.

Same here. [bug 006]

I have to add that the 'a' key only locks up when there are UVs displayed within the UV Map viewport. If no polys are shown, the 'a' key does not cause a lockup.

This problem occurs regardless of which viewport is used to display the UVs.
No new geometry has to be made in the 2nd layer to cause the lockup.

I have disabled the 'a' key now to see if this was the cause of all my recent modeler lockups.

jkushwara
03-09-2005, 07:56 AM
#78 ?

LW 8.2.1 / WXPpro

1. Open scene with JMP applied to object - multiple instances, using seperate layer for bones.
2. open JMP plugin, "use bones from object" and "control bone" fields reset to self and none - original values not saved.

Edit - attached test scene / object file

1. Open scene, select object, open properties panel and open JMP
2. Set use bones from to layer 10, control bone to bone 01
3. Save scene
4. Open scene again, open JMP panel and values are now set to self and none.

3dworks
03-11-2005, 02:27 AM
#79 the settings for limited region in the camera dialog are not preserved correctly between sessions/ scene files. when you set it into 'no border' mode and saved the project, the next time you open the scene it will be set to 'with border'. please make this setting sticky as expected.

LW 8.2.1, OSX 10.3.8, powermac G5

brade_andersen
03-12-2005, 05:04 AM
the eps export plugin doesnt work. i did a complete re-install and went from 801-820-821. ive done that twice and it still does not work. it says "failed to start". there are others with the same problem.

Auger
03-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Never mind. Figured it out. It was the difference in the default ambient intensity between LW 7.5 and LW 8. :o

Unless I'm mistaken, when rendering a shadow pass the alpha should be grayscale depending on the darkness of the shadow. This is not the case in 8.2.1. The alpha is pure white on black that fuzzes out, (but is still pure white), at the soft edges of the shadow.

Hopefully someone can verify this.

Jon

dalecampbelljr
03-22-2005, 06:10 PM
#80 Scene Editor and Weight Maps

LW 8.2.1 WinXP Pro sp2 Athlon 64 1.5 gbs Nvidia 5750 128 mgs

I am using LW 8.2.1 and everytime I use the new Scene Editor to add a weight map to a bone it crashes and shuts down Lightwave. It doesn't hurt anything, but this has happened 6 times in a row. So I added the weight maps to the bones under bone properties and saved it. Then opened the scene again, went back into the Scene Editor and the weight maps I added are there but greyed out? Is this a bug?

Tesselator
03-23-2005, 04:33 AM

I am using LW 8.2.1 and everytime I use the new Scene Editor to add a weight map to a bone it crashes and shuts down Lightwave. It doesn't hurt anything, but this has happened 6 times in a row. So I added the weight maps to the bones under bone properties and saved it. Then opened the scene again, went back into the Scene Editor and the weight maps I added are there but greyed out? Is this a bug?

Confirmed. :D

jkushwara
03-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Confirmed here too. AAGGhhhhh !!! :mad:

evenflcw
03-25-2005, 05:15 AM
EDIT: Big thanks to Steve Williams! You saved my day!

What I reported was not having the Adjust Properties panel appear. Turns out it was only hidden (see next post).

blabberlicious
03-25-2005, 05:19 AM
LMB in the left 'gutter' of the cells and you'll get an option to Edit Values. That'll open the numeric input box.

:-)

3dworks
04-01-2005, 04:15 AM
#81: apparently excluded lights within the scene editor which are set to generate caustics are not excluded from the caustics calculation during rendering. after hitting F9/F10 i can see the message 'tracing caustics from...' for all the excluded lights.

mac OSX 10.3.8, powermac G5, LW 8.2.1

markus

ercaxus
04-01-2005, 08:41 AM
LMB in the left 'gutter' of the cells and you'll get an option to Edit Values. That'll open the numeric input box.

:-)

it still crashes.

ercaxus
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
When I "Load Items From Scene..." if the loaded object has the Item Shape plugin "Draw Line To" option in plugin draws the lines to random objects.

AVT
04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Just select PLD antialiasing and any of the reconstruction filters, render it at 1x1 pixel rendering resolution and Layout will crash immidiately.

AVT
04-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Set up blue or any non-black backdrop. Select point light and turn its Volumetric Lighting on. Render scene (or turn VIPER on). Now set Opacity to 100%. You will get dark, ugly and sharp-edged volumetric ball instead of soft mist-like cloud (just try to remember Steamer plugin for LW5, it was really beautiful tool).

AVT
04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Add particle emitter and apply Hypervoxels to it in Surface mode. Then turn Self Shadows on. There is no self shadows at all (in order to get self shadows from Hyperoxels you must install LW5 and use its Hypervoxel plugin 8-)

NigelH
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Check the 'Matte Object' box for any object and the object will not render to the color set in the color selector. In fact, it will render in bands of three or more totally unrelated colors.

If this has been noted already, I apologize (a search for 'matte object' turned up nothing). Or it may be a Mac specific problem as I'm using LightWave 8.2 on MacOS 10.3.5

AVT
04-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Create a sphere (or something other) and create Altlas UV on it. Now You can select different parts of it and copy/paste to other layers or just use Remove polygons command. "Red" discontinous UVs will be there forever, You cannot clear them or rewrite by applying the new settings.

tgiadd
04-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I am having similar problems as 'kfinla' earlier in this list. I recently bought LW 8, and upgraded to 8.2.1, and if I try to import any 'obj' files or 'fact' files Modeller crashes.

My system is:
Panther 10.3.8
Dual 1 GHz
1 Gb SDRAM

It continues to happen even if I have no other applications active.

I understand if you have access to the version of 'conv3d.p' that shipped with pre-LW 8, you can import.

This is very annoying to say the least! I have no access to earlier versions, and feel this older plugin should be made available to registered users.