PDA

View Full Version : Bug Workshop: LightWave 8.2

Pages : 1 [2]

Para
04-16-2005, 04:12 AM
I was creating a simple grid plane for even a simpler GI render and instead of using box segments to make the grid I created a plane and started knifing it into smaller pieces, dunno really why but because of that I found out that knife tool has some really odd behaviour in it. Basically it seemed to triple most (not all!) quads while knifing. Also after the slice when triangles are generated the tool itself stops working. I made a video to show what happens: Right click, save as - you know the drill (http://koti.mbnet.fi/~stupid/3D/vidz/wonky_knife.avi)

I'm using LW 8.2.1 running on WinXP SP2.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the original polygon is about 300m*300m big.

evenflcw
04-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Para, it seems to be related to the Knife axis setting... if you look carefully on your video, after 0:09 a dotted line appears on the knife guide, indicating that you've changed the axis the tool slices through. While clicking wildly you probably accidentally right clicked and dragged. Abit sensitive maybe, but no real bug.

sonofmickel
04-16-2005, 04:44 PM
In Layout when I remove Skytracer2 from the backdrop, the program crashes. Any workarounds?

sonofmickel
04-16-2005, 04:48 PM
When I have a few lights added to a scene in layout, the Properties Panel only lists the currently selected light as "Light". At the bottom of the Layout window the currently selected item is displayed properly (light1, light2 etc...). This makes it kind of a pain to quickly adjust color and intensity for the individual lights.

Para
04-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Para, it seems to be related to the Knife axis setting... if you look carefully on your video, after 0:09 a dotted line appears on the knife guide, indicating that you've changed the axis the tool slices through. While clicking wildly you probably accidentally right clicked and dragged. Abit sensitive maybe, but no real bug.

Now that you said it, that's actually exactly what happens. I'd still say it's a bug since I don't see a reason why the axis would change all the sudden and it really shouldn't be creating triangles in the process.

spawn101
04-17-2005, 05:27 PM
1. Load lightWave modeler 8

2. Load any object. eg. a cylndical shape, or cube

3. Go to multiply tab

4. select rounder

5. Click on object to round

6. States a selected point is not inside the surface of the polygons and that the progam is unstable and that i should save immediatlly.

Note: even when it rarely does work it takes forever to do the slightest rounding

P.S Pentium 4 Processor 3.4 HT
1GB of ram

spawn101
04-17-2005, 05:32 PM
1. Load lightWave modeler 8

2. Load any object. eg. a cylndical shape, or cube

3. Go to multiply tab

4. select rounder

5. Click on object to round

6. States a selected point is not inside the surface of the polygons (L138) and that the progam is unstable and that i should save immediatlly.

Note: even when it rarely does work it takes forever to do the slightest rounding

P.S Pentium 4 Processor 3.4 HT
1GB of ram

TIMMYLYNN
04-21-2005, 12:16 AM
i have a strange one...i have a 33 layer droid.....built in 7.5c.....it loads into modeler 8.1 but wont load in 8.2...it also loads in modo.....my other models from 7.5 load fine into 8.2 its just the droid with all those layers....it locks up modeler.....what;s up?

Dick Ma
04-21-2005, 08:30 AM
In modeler, Open the Skelegon Tree and show the table, click either one side and rename either bones or weightmaps, the "OK" button is malfunction.

Dick Ma
04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
1. In Modeler, create a skelegon chain.

2. Send the skelegons to layout, and add IKBooster in Properties panel.

3. Add a null.

4. Open the Properties panel and click the Dynamics tab.

5. Crash.

AVT
04-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, this bug just kills me... It happens often enough, but I still cannot determine exactly how to reproduce it. I think that all starts after editing Texture panel in Surface Editor, then I`m opening Image Editor and Replacing some image with new file. After that, new image appears even in Texture panel in Surface Editor, replacing another image, which I dont want to replace at all :-(

Sometimes LW creates "Dontcallafilethis.tga" in the root of my "C:" drive and replaces my images with it.... No comments...

Paul Brunson
04-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I can repeat this bug everytime.

Very simple, add level of detail mesh refinement plugin to your object in object properties panel in layout. Adjust the base subdivision settings to something other than the defaults (3 and 3). Close the box, save your scene. Reload your scene. And with great happiness check the LOD plugin's settings. You'll find the base subdivision settings have returned to default.

:D This bug is especially fun when you have a scene with over 30 subdivision objects. Each with the plugin applied. And everytime you close the scene and reopen you have to redo all your settings.

My specs: WinXP, intel 3.4 ghz processors, Lightwave 8.2.

spec24
04-30-2005, 10:08 PM
When you replace an image in the image editor maps get screwed up in the surfaces panel - not all the time, but when they have similar names. I mean you've got to be kidding. That this is even a bug just doesn't make sense. LW 8.2.1 It's annoying as he** - I waste time tracking down that image map that has gotten screwed up because all I did was replace a different one with the same name. Correction - name doesn't always have to be close. I just had it replace one of my surfaces with a totally different name with a different image. Maddening!

Jockomo
04-30-2005, 10:17 PM
When using content manager to export a scene, content manager can run into an error while saving objects. It often gives an error that says: Object Conversion Failure.

If I find some time I'll try to find a scene provided with lightwave that gives the problem. It happens pretty often.

Auger
04-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I've had that happen too, Jockomo. I couldn't narrow down what was causing it. :confused:

AVT
05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Just try to use "Set UV" command in Modeler without having UV map selected (set to (none)). It will apply new values to XY coordinates instead of UV and squash your geometry....

blabberlicious
05-02-2005, 12:25 AM
When using content manager to export a scene, content manager can run into an error while saving objects. It often gives an error that says: Object Conversion Failure.

If I find some time I'll try to find a scene provided with lightwave that gives the problem. It happens pretty often.

Uncheck 'reload old scence' - that should help.

Jockomo
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Uncheck 'reload old scence' - that should help.

I've tried this both ways, and actually I typically have that unchecked.

Usually when I am running content manager it is because I need to make another version of the animation that requires me to change some aspects of the objects.

MacDoggie
05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
I've tried this both ways, and actually I typically have that unchecked.

Usually when I am running content manager it is because I need to make another version of the animation that requires me to change some aspects of the objects.

We usually use the content manager when we need to intergrate components from one project to another or when transporting a project to another company or person on our team. Worst case senario, we usually have to drop the scene file into the scenes directory because it doesnt complete that aspect of the transaction but hte rest of the files are there so other than this it works fine here....... :)

AVT
05-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Hypervoxels seems to crash LW when opening its interface, if scene contains textured objects. I had to remove all textures in order to launch it, but after I returned them back, saved and reloaded scene, all crashes... I had to remove Hypervoxels plugin from scene file in text editor in order to load that scene...

AVT
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Particle Blur doesnt seems to work at all. I have partigon emitter (it generates still, not moved partigons), parented to my moving camera, and there is no particle blur at all in my render.

AVT
05-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Sometimes "Delete Key" doesnt want to delete automatically (by moving items) created keys, it leaves the key untouched without any reason. I have to delete it within Graph Editor. "Fractional keys" is off.

AVT
05-03-2005, 04:58 PM
When opening Texture Editor by pressing "T" in Surface Editor, my mouse click seems to travel to Texture Editor panel, for example, unchecking layers or changing properties (all depends from place, where Texture Editor will appear under my mouse cursor).

AVT
05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
"Jolt!" doesnt want to work at all. It shakes my camera in quite impressive way (I like explosions), but only in OpenGL preview! There is no effect in the final animation!

mdunakin
05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Is there a reason why I can load up a scene I made back in 8/29/2002 that has particles
in it and I can play it in 8 and see it animating in 8 and rotate my view around
while it's all playing and still see my particles, but the second I hit the F9 key, LW8.3 crashes instantly.

I then tried to load the scene into my old setup of LW7.5c and it did the same thing.

So, I am assuming that I must of made this before LW7, but I was sure that I had created
the whole scene with particles and all when I had 7, since the scene is in my LW7 folder of scenes and objects I have,
but I could be wrong and maybe it was created all the way back to LW5.6 or something?

I would think, that if the file loads up and plays and all, that it also should be able to render, no?

I tried saving it out again so it would be a new LW8 scene, but that still didn't help.

Thanx for your time.....................md :)