PDA

View Full Version : Mac Bug Workshop: LightWave 8.2

Chuck
01-21-2005, 08:58 AM
The purpose of this thread is to gather bug reports current for 8.2 on the Mac. Please try to cross-reference the Bug Workshop threads on the PC and General support forums - all bugs should appear in the General Forum Bug Workshop thread, and Mac platform specific bugs should be reported here as well.

Borrowing from Riki:

Suggested format:

-------------------------------------

# 001 Ref number for tracking and Bug confirmation from other users.

LW 8.2, OS: 10.3.4, G4 800, 512

-------------------------------------

Followed then of course by the bug report, with numbered steps to repeat the error. Followed hopefully by confirmation from other users.

Chuck
01-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I've closed the old thread, so that we can concentrate the discussion here.

Let's be detailed - provide steps to recreate. Posts that amount to nothing more than "Gosh, X is busted", without detailed description and repeatable steps, will be deleted. Feature requests will be moved to an appropriate new or existing thread on the Feature Request forum.

stib
01-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Ok I mentioned this before but I've just confirmed that this little bug is working, er I mean, not working, um..

I'm using the network render panel and I hit the add scene to list button, I see the normal choose file dialog, but when I've chosen me file nothing appears to be added to my list. Of couse at this point I go crazy adding the scene over and over, which I'll regret later, because if I close the network render panel and reopen it, there are all the scenes that I've been adding.

I know this is getting dangerously close to a feature request, but this problem wouldn't be a tenth as annoying as it is if the scenes list let you select a scene (or multiple scenes) to be deleted as you choose, instead of the crazy first-on-first-off system, which means if I make one mistake after adding half a dozen scenes to the list I have to delete them all (one.. by.. one.., dismissing the dialog every time) to get rid of the last one.

OS X.3.7 LW 8.2 G4 dual 1.25

pat-lek
01-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Ref 001.

LW 8 ; 8,01; 8,2
OSX 10,37; PowerMac G4 2 X 1,25 GHZ , 1,5 Gb

Modeler:
The selected points are not visibles
Largely confirmed

I know that you know this bug, but it must be at the first place on the "to do" list.

Edit: I have change my graphic card for an Ati 9800 128 mo, now, this bug is gone away.

ingo
01-23-2005, 11:53 AM
As already mentioned in this thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32589 the numbers and letters in the text inputfields are to big, so you can't sometimes read longer numbers. Works fine in 8.0, happens only when i upgrade to 8.01 or 8.2

LW 8.01+8.2 / Mac OS X 10.2.x / G4+G5

kfinla
01-23-2005, 06:04 PM
i havent updated to 8.2 from 8.0.1 yet cuz of the bugs, and state of mid production. Is the OBJ import fixed, or do i still need 7.5 for , obj, eps etc.

I also find that other apps arent recognizing LW 8.0.1 obj UV's. zbrush 2.03, maya 6.01. zbrush can open LW objs but dosent see/use UV's :( Maya 6.0.1 dosent open LW objs at all, nothin, no geom or uvs. I have to go LW-> zbrush -> maya to get an obj into maya, and theree wont be any UV's :(

kfinla
01-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Sorry this is all MAC issues - above -

stib
01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Again, this was mentioned in the old bugs thread, but for completeness I'm mentioning it here.

The expression builder is even more broken in 8.2 than it was in 8.01. Well maybe that's a subjective statement, we could just say it's broken in a different way.

Thankfully expressions over 32 characters long will now compile, making expressions once again useful. However the expression builder will not let you use the inputs "channel" or "sub expression" from its drop-down lists. The options appear in the list, but if you select them the field stays blank. This renders the expression builder pretty useless, except as a quick reference for syntax.

This bug is so glaringly obvious to anyone attempting to use Expression Builder for more than a few seconds that I can't help but ask - what were the fanbo^H^H^H^H^H Beta Testers doing? Certainly not checking for bugs that's fer sher.

Craig Lamberton
01-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 Memory 3 GB DDR SDRAM OSX v 10.3.5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When importing Illustrator EPS files into Modeller; Auto Axisdrill does not work. If an object is imported without it switched on, the conversion appears to work.

However, If Auto Axisdrill is turned on, then it waits for a few seconds; and no objects are imported.

blabberlicious
01-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Need I say more?

No way to reset this?

And what does REVERT do in that nasty input tab????

I have never got any answers about this - is it there to taunt us?

oh - and scene editor still crashes layout when trying to save Preset Layout - losing all you SE configs....

eblu
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
default menus in lw 8, 8.01, and 8.2 are NOT the menus that ship in any of those apps. you lose several menu items across the boards if you edit your menus and select 'default' from the list.

Lightwave Modeler occasionally loses the internal connection between its menus and its plugins. the menu items are greyed out even thought the associated plugins are loaded (i've loaded plugins by loading each one individually, and by scanning a directory). This is random, and I have found now way of:
reproducing it on demand,
or avoiding it.

Since everything is practically a plugin, this is a major deal breaker. and in trying to get my plugins back I have reset my configs, which sadly means I have to go back to my 'default' menus. Now I am missing menu items, and have menu items that don't work at all, with others failing at random intervals. talk to beevee, he knows a bit about this one.

this has been confirmed on two more macs since I have posted these bugs, its only been a few weeks. Its got nothing to do with hardware/software config of the machine apparently.

eblu
01-25-2005, 02:35 PM
i have one object parented to another object, and then hidden. its is a dense object and slows down the OpenGL display.

in 8, and every other version of Lightwave I could, and should, expect the hidden object to 'inherit' the motion from the parent. in 8.2 this is not the case. with the object hidden it doesn't inherit transformations applied to the parent object.

this is a MAJOR deal breaker. I have a multitude of useful setups that display fast and render beautiful, and if this "feature" doesn't work, I'm screwed. I am now downgrading to 8.0.1 and not ever touching 8.2 ever again.

found out that this is a DISPLAY BUG. irritating, shocking, and ultimately not what renders.

miguel446
01-27-2005, 10:50 PM
My EPSF loader seems to still be broken. Has anyone else experienced a resolution to this problem?

M

Mac osX.2
LW 8.2

eblu
01-28-2005, 01:50 PM
slider setup panel display bug.
the panel that you use to setup your sliders, does not display "already entered values" on items that you select in the list.

we have discovered through testing that if you save the scene and reload it, then the panel does display the information correctly, and that this issue does not appear on the pc.

we also have confirmed the problem on another g5, running LW 8.0.1

my machine info:

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7S215)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.7.0

ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D:

Type: scsi-2
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-2
Vendor ID: 0x1000
Device ID: 0x0020
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c
Subsystem ID: 0x8007
ROM Revision: 1.6.6f0
Revision ID: 0x0001

ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D:

Type: scsi-2
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-2
Vendor ID: 0x1000
Device ID: 0x0020
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c
Subsystem ID: 0x8007
ROM Revision: 1.6.6f0
Revision ID: 0x0001

(i have the dual monitor ati 128 card)

currently running LW 8.2 with no bells or whistles.

blabberlicious
01-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I have posted NT -

Frankly, this is very disappointing - particularly when they also Broke the Bone Split Tools too.

At some point (when?) we'll actually get the same tools that have been working on the PC since 8.

I would like a VERY prompt patch for these tools, as they were the prime reason I bought into 8.

And perhaps they could upgrade their Beta Testers....

:-(

Darrell
01-30-2005, 08:06 AM
I noticed some of you are running 10.3.5, I think its time for you guys to upgrade to 10.3.7..it's been out for quite a long time. I'm not saying it will fix all your bug errors, but its good to be up to date anyway:)

blabberlicious
01-30-2005, 09:44 AM
I noticed some of you are running 10.3.5, I think its time for you guys to upgrade to 10.3.7..it's been out for quite a long time. I'm not saying it will fix all your bug errors, but its good to be up to date anyway:)

Opps!

Upgraded my OSX, but not my signature :-)

eblu
02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
006. particle animation cache wipe out on frame render.

steps to repeat. in 8.2 make a particle animation, by adding an emitter effect to a preexisting object, make the particles dance. hit F9 to preview the rendered frame.
what is expected: the frame will render with all of the particles where they Should be.
what happens: the calculated animation of the particles is wiped out just before the render is started.

workaround? save a file before you render.

I give up. who is responsible for this?

stib
02-01-2005, 04:55 PM
the calculated animation of the particles is wiped out just before the render is started.

This isn't so much an 8.2 bug as something they could be bothered fixing from previous versions. It used to happen in 7.5, especially with network renders. Saving the motion is pretty much mandatory for network renders.

eblu
02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
stib, sorry, but no.
this is NEW behavior to 8.2
I'm not talking about the issues with using cumulative effects with network renderers, that "can't" easily be fixed because of the nature of dynamic effects. They use the data from the frame prior to determine the data of the current frame. that along with a few random characteristics makes every time the simulation is run, just slightly different. without a file to refer to, each render node must therefore run the sim itself, and will always come up with different results. That is Not the issue I am reporting.

in LW when you hit the calculate button, lightwave "renders" position data for all of its particles, and then holds on to it all by putting it into a cache. Traditionally, rendering right in Lightwave to a still by hitting the F9 key didn't make lightwave wipe that cache (pre 8.2). It does now. This is (i repeat) NEW behavior in Lightwave, and it is inconsistent with the rest of the simulation tools in Lightwave... ie: none of the other cached dynamics plugins drop their information before a test render.

(update to respond to stib for clarification purposes)
stib, the particles do not disappear. they just lose their positional data, and snap back inside the bounding box of the emitter. the killer is that it happens right before the render starts. you have a sim that you like, you think, hey I wonder what it looks like? without doing anything else, you hit F9. then you get an image that looks nothing like your OpenGLView, the camera position is the same, the objects are in the right places, but the particles are all clumped together, and none of them are where you put them. and then the OpenGL view changes to look like your render. It works exactly as if you always used autokey, and it was turned off... just on the particles.

(another update, this time to update the steps required to duplicate)
the emitter has to have dynamics applied to it. In my case it was cloth FX, and it was cached in a MOT file.

bonojerry
02-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I am finding that selected points do not show up well in a consistent manner using 8.2 on the Mad....8.2 is my first version. The point display problem is irritating and slows down work time. Does anyone else have this problem on the Mac? Is there a fix?

Spec : Dual 1GHZ G4, 1.25g Ram, ATI9000, OSX 10.3.7

stib
02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
[..]
this is NEW behavior to 8.2
I dunno. I used to get disappearing particles with F10 renders in 7.5. It was especially frustrating because I was new to particles and it made learning how they worked very difficult.

Chazz
02-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Not much to say...I can't seem to get it to render in mosaic mode, no matter what scene I'm in.

blabberlicious
02-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Not much to say...I can't seem to get it to render in mosaic mode, no matter what scene I'm in.

Worse still....Viper Doesn't show UV Texture Maps - making it, well usless for a 'Poor Man's' FPRime.

I think it's been at 18 months since I first started asking then to fix it.

Chuck
02-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Please note that the beta coordinator and our Mac beta testers are tracking this thread and testing and confirming the reported issues. The development team's goal is to eliminate any and all issues that were introduced in 8.2 in the next update, and we'd like to be able to accomplish that as quickly as possible, so if you have encountered any problem with repeatable steps, please be sure to report it here, and on the thread in General Support as well so it can be tested to see if it is cross-platform.

We appreciate the reports and your patience as we work on the next update.

Chuck
02-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Worse still....Viper Doesn't show UV Texture Maps - making it, well usless for a 'Poor Man's' FPRime.

I think it's been at 18 months since I first started asking then to fix it.

That's a feature change request - please keep this thread to bug reports and confirmations only, with no extraneous comments of any sort.

Chazz
02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
This has been covered in another thread, but I didn't see it here so I thought I'd mention that loading objects with .tif textures is broken currently.

blabberlicious
02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
That's a feature change request - please keep this thread to bug reports and confirmations only, with no extraneous comments of any sort.

Hi Chuck,
I'd like to say firstly, that having spent the last week rigging with 8.2, and I genuinely appreciate the effort that gone into it it.

Thanks.

I love Lightwave (for all it's idiosyncrasies, some of which seem here to stay).

Rigging with Bone Tools was worth the wait. Quick, efficient and much more intuitive than skelegons.

Yeah, there are some bugs, but I can jump back to 8.01 to fix - so it's no big deal.

Anyway, 'extraneous' issues aside, I'd thought I share this insight into the nasty Zero K crashing ,to warn Users how to avoid serious burn outs in layout.

The problem seems to be associated with opening LW files from either previous versions of LW, or perhaps a PC.

I took a look at a rig idea from POOBY, and while trying to save out his scene file, I discovered this nasty bug - which happens every time: (scene file attached)

Note: I (think) This test scene file was created on a PC - not sure what version of LW. I will check.

WARNING: If you test this, it WILL nuke all your Workspace layouts and Slections sets, so it's only for the brave...

1. load attached scene on a MAC
2. 'Save as' to a new file.lws
3. No Problems.

BUT.....

If you: Open the same file

1. Open the Scene Editor
2. Select a Preset Workspace
3. Save the File
4. Boom!. Zero'ked Scene File...every time.

Now - just to be certain

1. Open original scene
2. Select your Preset Workspace
3. Overwrite the old Version of the Preset
4. Boom.....All your Workspaces are gone, as well as your scene....

And because of the way that Scene Editor's Selection sets are linked to the Workspace Pre-sets rather than the Scene files (?), this means all those many sets you made for you rigs & scenes are gone.....

This really needs urgent attention - because it SO easy to stumble into it and nuke a scene file.

BTW, IMHO - it make NO SENSE tying the Selection Sets to the Workspace Pre-sets - at all.

Why would I want to have a load of Selection presets of a Character's fingers showing up weeks later in my Selection Sets pop up (which is what happens when I load a Workspace Preset.

With this set up, you have to remember to save out a NEW Workspace every time you close the scene, if you have made any additions to the Scene Editor Selection Sets, otherwise, when/if you switch between Workspaces (which I do a lot), you lose all those newly created sets.

So take care, Folks

NT are on to it, and I DO have faith.

:-)

HowardBerry
02-05-2005, 04:38 PM
It seems that both Modeler and Layout are crashing all the time - during various tasks. Sometimes it's from changing surfaces, other times for copying and pasting, and other times for changing render settings... It even crashes when I try and save. Is anyone else having issues like this?

I just bought LW 8, having used 7.5 for over a year. I'm a bit disappointed :(

I'm using 8.2, Mac OS X 10.3.7, 1GHz PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM.

HowardBerry
02-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I am also unable to open a Modeler or Layout file, if either application is closed, but Hub is open.

I have to quit Hub, and then I can open the file.

I usually have to do this every time Modeler or Layout crash. I can't simply just reopen the file I was working on from the Finder. I either have to open Layout/Modeler first, and then open the file; or I have to quit Hub first and then load the file.

3dworks
02-06-2005, 06:15 AM

same here!

powermac G5/ 2x1.8ghz, 4G RAM, ATI radeon 9800 mac special edition, OSX 10.3.7.

ddaniels
02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
has anyone tried using powergons to place objects? I cant get it to work on the mac it always wants to place a spotlight even when i change the script.

alesiX
02-10-2005, 04:21 AM
lightwave crash when i click continue or cancel when render finish in a 20-22 min (render time) scene with radiosity. but the same scene without radiosity dont crash.

low memory?

computer: imac g5 1,8ghz ram: 1Gb hd: 80gb

thanx

pantone
02-10-2005, 06:37 AM
If I attempt to add the shader while I'm in modeler I get a "Could not create object for BRDF plug-in" error.

If I send a scene over from layout I get the same error AND it makes a heavily triangulated copy of the object the shader was applied to in an empty layer in modeler.

I've tested this on 3 machines so far:

1.8GHZ G5, OSX10.3.7, 2.5GBRAM
1GHZ Powerbook G4, OSX10.3.7, 1GB RAM
Dual 1GHZ G4, OSX10.3.7, 1GB RAM

All running 8.2

trison
02-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out. Had to do with some shaders I had on a transparent object.

eblu
02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
three BIG killer bugs to report:

bug 1. OpenGL display error causing a crash while interacting with bezier splines in the graph editor, and going back and forth with the main Lightwave view (leaving both windows open). this is a memory problem. somebody is trying to access a bit of memory that is missing, and crashing the program.

bug2. the parenter plugin is broken. it doesn't work the way Proton suggests it will, it deletes keyframes of the objects I am parenting, and it ignores some keyframes altogether. its broken, severely worthless.

bug3. parent in place is unfinished.
I have an object that I need to unparent but maintain the current global values in its animation channels. I turn on parent in place, and unparent the object. everything Seems to have worked. What happened is that parent in place only affected the current frame, and none of the others. this is the worst thing that can be done. my animation is now changed, in a way that makes it inconsistent in every way with the way I had it. if you are going to change anything, change everything. if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

JML
02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
when an object is uncheck in the scene editor,
it won't render the object but it will still render its shadow...

the same thing on pc works fine (no object, no shadow), not sure if it's a new bug.
somebody is using LW on mac in our company and found this problem,
any of you had this problem ?
is this new ?

thanks

Scazzino
02-17-2005, 01:15 PM
when an object is uncheck in the scene editor,
it won't render the object but it will still render its shadow...

And reflections... It looks like it doesn't get removed from all the raytracing pipelines... shadow mapped shadows will get turned off, but not raytraced shadows...

This "Inactive Objects not fully inactive." bug's been there as long as I've been using LW... The workaround I've been using is to set object dissolve to 100% instead... which is unfortunately not nearly as convenient...

-MikeS

pantone
02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
In modeler I've found that tabbing from a numeric input box to the next box leaves a ghosted selection. If you exit the properties window your working in to do something else without closing it, then return, when you type in a value you're taken to the box that's ghosted...not the box you left highlighted.

Follow the attached pic as an example:

1. Open the surface editor (in this case Luminance texture).

2. Change "Dot Diameter. TAB to next field. Change it.
Tab to X position. Change it.

3. Now select "Fuzzy Edge Width" and change it.

4. Leave this window open and do an F9.

5. Look at your rendered image in image viewer.

6. Re-select the Luminance texture window and type in an entry.

7. "Fuzzy Edge Width" is where I left my selection...and it's still highlighted. But "Dot Diameter" or X Position will actually change.

I thought this was a display bug, but I've tested it on 3 different machines with 3 different display cards.

JML
02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
when we select multiple cells in the spreadsheet, the "adjust properties" window
shows up outside the screen.. we can only see the bottom on the window and can not grab it down..
this happens on 2 macs here,
the same thing works fine in XP (but at first it showed up next to the limit of the
screen too but when I re-open the spreadsheet, it replaced itself , so now it's fine)
but on the mac, it did not re-position itself..

davehone
02-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Bug # 011: SasLite and Camera Motion Options

LW 8.2, OS: 10.3.8, G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1Gb Ram

I have a noticed a problem using a camera with a Camera Target and CurveConstraint with SasLite objects. The bug manifests while rendering as a displaced SasLite effect. I'm unsure whether this is a Lightwave bug or a SasLite bug. I've sent an email to Newtek and Worley already so the purpose of this post is to confirm that the bug is replicable for other users.

I have noticed this problem with version 8.2 and 8.0, all scenes and all objects that I have tested so far. SasLite is performing as expected in other situations. Lightwave's Camera Motion Options are working as expected in other situations.

Steps to replicate the bug:

1. Create a Sphere object. Add an open curve intended for a camera path circling the sphere. Make sure the path has lots of ups and downs. Make it a bumpy ride!
2. Create a new scene
3. Import the Sphere object into the scene
4. Bring up the Motion Options for the Camera
5. Set the Target Item to the Sphere Object
6. Add Modifier>CurveConstraint: select the open curve, leave the rest as default
Test render is OK, Sphere Object is centered in the image.

Now apply SasLite to the Sphere, default settings:

1. Window>Image Processing>Add Pixel Filter>SasLite: default settings
2. Sphere Object>Properties>Deform>Add Displacement>SasLite: default settings

Test render is buggy: sphere object appears in the center, the result of the SasLite filter appears somewhere else in the image (or off camera).

Does this happen on Windows too? Could a helpful soul try this with Sasquatch full version for me?

Thanks.

m_luscombe
02-25-2005, 12:40 AM
LW 8.2, Mac OSX 10.2.8

I can add Expression Editor to the master plugins, but trying to open it generates:

Error: Expressioneditor.lsc
Line 477, Invalid Argument 2 tyle to reqsize()

Borked

pantone
02-25-2005, 09:10 AM
1. In Layout assign an Object dissolve value to a layer using the Layer Properties (p). Let's say it's Layer 5.

2. In Modeler insert a new layer between layer 4 and 5. The inserted layer now becomes layer 5. The original Layer 5 now becomes six.

3. Add a new object to the inserted layer. (Layer 5)

4. Save the model and open in Layout.

5. Layer 5 now has the object dissolve settings you gave to the object that is now in layer 6. i.e. the dissolve settings should have been moved to layer 6 when I inserted a layer.

Scazzino
02-25-2005, 09:50 AM
This isn't a "bug" per se (programming error), but rather a deficiency of the current program "design"... This is unfortunately due to the fact that layers in LightWave are not "real"...

ie. Layout thinks of each and every layer as a separate object. Layout has a very limited ability to recognize consecutive objects in a scene file, as consecutive layers from a single model file. Other than this very loose connection, each layer is really treated as a completely separate object in Layout... So any settings you apply in Layout that are stored in the scene file (any object properties), rather than the model file (like materials), will remain applied to the "old" layer in the scene if you shuffle layers around in Modeler.

An "object" in Layout is simply a collection of "object properties" with a link to a specific layer (by layer number) in a model file. If you change the geometry on the layers in Modeler, Layout doesn't care. It still applies the same object properties to the same layer number in the model file... that's all it does as currently designed...

LightWave really needs a more robust layer system across both Modeler and Layout to be able to fully avoid such issues.

-MikeS

Saxajar
02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Greetings all. First post. I just purchased lightwave 8 and upgraded it to 8.2 immediately. I am trying to import OBJ files but it crashes every time. I have noticed this has been mentioned but the problem seems to have been known about for awhile and I cannot find any fix for it. I do not have access to an older version of the plugin to do this so that is not an option. Any help on this? I am running OS 10.3.7.

stardial
02-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Bug # 012: Rotation Handles Remain Active Despite Deactivation

LW 8.2, OS: 10.3.8, G4 Dual 1Ghz, 1Gb Ram

While following Jonny Gorden's tutorial on character rigging, I found that the Rotation handle rings remain active even when the HPB buttons are deactivated in the lower left corner. Additionally, the rings will not ghost out. If you click and drag on any ring, the rotation can be changed. However, if you click and drag anywhere off the handles, any rotation channel that is locked will not move. Motion controls for XYZ work normally, and when deactivated, the arrows are ghosted as usual. I was able to recreate this behaviour on a cleared out scene using a single null.

stardial
02-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Well, I appear to have been too quick on the trigger. After my last post to report the bug, I relaunched LW and the scene, and the rotation problems vanished. Apparently, the anomalous behaviour was a temporary glitch that crept in during that session.

blabberlicious
02-27-2005, 02:41 AM
What happened to the Diamond shaped endpoints that tells you the spline's start & endpoint?

wilgory
02-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I have found a strange bug that affects Layout and modeler's use of the viewport pan/rotate/zoom controls. This bug does not affect PC's. When I click on the move, rotate, or zoom button I can drag the mouse to use the tools, but when I release the mouse I find that while my mouse cursor should reappear on top of the last used layout viewport navigation button it is not and is repositioned according to the move or rotate or zoom elsewhere on the screen. This problem affects my G5 at home and the G5 at work, they both have 10.3.8. At work LW is at 8.0.1 and at home LW is at 8.2.
I tried to test the bug on numerous other system and found that it was affecting those machines also, except for PC's and one new iMac with 10.3.6 and LW 8.0.1. It actually worked on that one machine, compared to three machines that it was broken on. I am looking forward to a fix to this problem

Greg

dabrosis
03-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Again, this was mentioned in the old bugs thread, but for completeness I'm mentioning it here.

The expression builder is even more broken in 8.2 than it was in 8.01. Well maybe that's a subjective statement, we could just say it's broken in a different way.

Has anyone found a way around this bug yet? It's driving me nuts! :mad:

Or am I to assume the expressions modifier is junk and hope that somewhere down the line they do something about it so I can actually use it?

All help is very much appreciated!

mspink
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
If I attempt to add the shader while I'm in modeler I get a "Could not create object for BRDF plug-in" error.

If I send a scene over from layout I get the same error AND it makes a heavily triangulated copy of the object the shader was applied to in an empty layer in modeler.

I've tested this on 3 machines so far:

1.8GHZ G5, OSX10.3.7, 2.5GBRAM
1GHZ Powerbook G4, OSX10.3.7, 1GB RAM
Dual 1GHZ G4, OSX10.3.7, 1GB RAM

All running 8.2

I get the same (since reading fix for#69 so able to use 8.2!) using 8.21 worked fine in 8.01. If saved subsequently from Modeler all BRDF shaders are lost from surfaces. System-

AMD64 3200 (s754), XP pro SP2, 2G RAM

has this one got a number?

Lowly Designer
03-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Some of these have been reported before but here goes:

Have experienced the loose focus bug where the numeric panels remain highlighted.

Also added to this is the annoying one where after having tabbed to the next input the cursor skips to the end of the numerals instead of highlighting them, thus when you type a new number it types it at the end of the last value meaning you then have to delete the whole lot and re type it again.

Numerous crashes directly after F9 rendering (this is the nasty), it just seems that LW unexpectedly quits after an F9 render I'll attach my scene and object example at the end of the post. May have something to do with Radiosity? or DOF?

Unexpectedly quitting on quit.

Have experienced the BRDF shader issue in modeler.

This is a new one I have not heard anyone report this yet - LZW Tiff textures which previously worked under 8.2 now don't work under 8.2.1 - I get a strange window appear almost like a terminal window which tells me that LZW import is not supported, it also will not go away even if I try to quit LW, will post a screen shot.

BTW Sys Spec:
1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook 17", 2GB Ram, ATI 128, OSX 10.3.8

Lowly Designer
03-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Just to add to the above,

At first I had no problems with any install of LW, I usually keep a fairly tidy Mac but have neglected it slightly due to being unable to perform the usual clensing rituals. Then all of a sudden in the last few days everything has gone bizarre. I used to pity the people who had bugs and weird stuff happen, thinking that I was somehow immune, but the last few days have been a trial.

The only software I have recently installed on my machine has been the usual system updates from apple, Limewire P2P fileshare client (which I binned after the first 5 miniutes), and for nostalgia's sake an old BBC model B emulator so I could play repton in my spare time :-).

It seems to have been after the Limewire install or the latest Security update from apple, that all the issues started (see above). Added to the issues listed above I have also been afflicted with Broken DOF from 8.0.1 upward, large numbers issue (which someone else mentioned), and a whole host of unexpectedly quitting.

I've swapped back to LW 8 installed from the CD's and things look ok for now but I have to say I'm gonna miss the PLD AA options.

Please if anyone knows what the answers are then let poor old me know so I can perform the corrections to my sys. Otherwise I may have to resort to blanking the mac and rebuilding it. I just want to know what little thing is causing these probs?

anyone?...
anyone?....

perhaps someone has had similar issues recently and can lay their finger on the prob?
Love to hear from anyone on this!!

Cheers Lowly

Lowly Designer
03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Sorry Chuck for not sticking to Riki's method but I couldn't remember which number we'd got to :)

fabmedia
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
LW and Modeler is dreadfully slow on my Mac Dual 867 w/1.75 Gb of RAM & 64 Mb ATI video card. Everyother program is running great, but LW is jerky and spins the disc too often to the point that it's not allowing me to be at all functional with trying to get things done. Selecting polygons or points gives me the spinning rainbow, and then straightlines and no selections except the odd point/ polygon.

I really need help here. It's so painful I think I'm going to die...

Well not really, but some help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I've optimized the hell out of both programs and reinstalled my OS 3 times and still nothing.

BertD
03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
However the expression builder will not let you use the inputs "channel" or "sub expression" from its drop-down lists. The options appear in the list, but if you select them the field stays blank. This renders the expression builder pretty useless, except as a quick reference for syntax.

This bug is so glaringly obvious to anyone attempting to use Expression Builder for more than a few seconds that I can't help but ask - what were the fanbo^H^H^H^H^H Beta Testers doing? Certainly not checking for bugs that's fer sher.

I couldn't agree more. Having just made use of the competitive side upgrade coming across this problem made me think indeed if any beta testing has gone into this or if it's just been released "as is" ...

Bert

fabmedia
03-19-2005, 04:46 PM
…this problem made me think indeed if any beta testing has gone into this or if it's just been released "as is" Bert

No I don't think that has happened. Sometimes when you are seeding the programs to Beta Testers, they have a more powerful machine that can do the calculations necessary for the program to "behave normally". But looking at it from the other angle, maybe it was something that they looked at with this release as being not as important to touch on because everybody was screaming about the render engine being too slow.

BTW NT, I like the new options to the render engine. A bit faster would be cooler, but the new AA options work great!

Another note... I notice that there are a lot of people who've been complaining about not seeing the points on a model. You need to change the point size from 1 pixel to howevermany you want. 3 pixels seems a bit too large, but worth while if you having trouble seeiing them.

BertD
03-20-2005, 02:23 AM
No I don't think that has happened. Sometimes when you are seeding the programs to Beta Testers, they have a more powerful machine that can do the calculations necessary for the program to "behave normally".

I don't think Expression Builder not working has got anything to do with a faster machine (plus would like to find a Mac beta tester with a faster machine than mine).

But looking at it from the other angle, maybe it was something that they looked at with this release as being not as important to touch on because everybody was screaming about the render engine being too slow.

If something is not gonna work, don't put it in. Diasable the Builder button altogether. Consider it the same as telling you're clients you didn't bother animating something becauese you didn't think it important in this render...

Overal I'm pretty happy with LW, but I serioulsy can't stand bugs of this kind being in a release, whatever the reason.

Bert

fabmedia
03-20-2005, 12:01 PM
...plus would like to find a Mac beta tester with a faster machine than mine...

This isn't a "who's is bigger" talk. Bragging doesn't achieve anything here. What we're looking for is an awareness that there are OpenGL issues that need to be taken care of. Period.

blabberlicious
03-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok....calm down chaps...

After two years struggling along with Dual 1ghz G4, writing increasingly angry posts complaining about the display performance of 8 on a G4, I succumbed and bought a G5.

At some point, Apple, NT and the powers in heaven with bash heads and unlock the potential of all that elegant technology.

Until then, it brute force processor power all they way...

Optimisation just ain't gonna happen for the G4 machine. Taking advantage of the alta-videc-what-not processor is just a pipe dream.

If you want an open gl speed boost on a G4, try running 7.5. Serioulsy!

Sorry if that sounds harsh - but I speak from experience :-)

Look at the daunting list of demands NT are trying to cater for, and ask yourself if spending time meeting the needs of 'retro' users will ever make sense.

I loved my G4, but it was 'buy a G5' or switch platform moment' - and after a look and the overpriced wintel hovercraft noise buckets I saw on offer, I knew what I had to do.

For LW, most of the display performance is CPU dependent.

So, the bottom line is, you have to ask yourself how badly you want to do stuff, then hope your next job makes it worth the investment.

I bit the bullet, and love the G5 - Quiet, blazingly fast, and uses brute force to produce something approaching respectable display performance out of LW.

You can't ask for more.

Well, you can - you just won't get it.

:-)

Cheers

BertD
03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
This isn't a "who's is bigger" talk. Bragging doesn't achieve anything here. What we're looking for is an awareness that there are OpenGL issues that need to be taken care of. Period.

This isn't about bragging, but when you say the following:

No I don't think that has happened. Sometimes when you are seeding the programs to Beta Testers, they have a more powerful machine that can do the calculations necessary for the program to "behave normally".

Then it's obvious to point out that there won't be a beta tester with a faster machine, and that a fast machine hasn't got anything to do with that part of Expression Builder not working.

I wasn't talking about OpenGL.

Bert

Deep Image
03-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Issues LW 8.2.1

- UI still has black characters over dark grey within the input fields. Please bring the light blue (contrast) back.

-EPSF-loader does not load the .ai/.eps file when auto axisdrill is checked. No matter whether it's Illustrator version 3.0 or 8.0.

- Maximise/minimise viewport is not always responding when it has been hit with LMB in use with 0 (shortcut numeric pad). I have to go back to the quat view and pan hard left and right to get it active. The maximise/minimise button works fine.
I have to say that I'm working with a Wacon Intenuos 2 pad and yes i have checked Display options/ interface/ tablet.

- Shading irregularity's. I gues that this is op GL related? because renderd in Layout it just come's out fine.

- Quite is one of those very enoing bugs. When ending a session after modeling in Modeler I get this promt "The application Modeler has unexpectedly quite." And yes they must get grazy at Apple Suport because I submited so many of them.

Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 867 MHz
Memory: 1.5 GB
GeForce2 MX

Good lucke,
DeepImage

Erizo
03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
LW and Modeler is dreadfully slow on my Mac Dual 867 w/1.75 Gb of RAM & 64 Mb ATI video card. Everyother program is running great, but LW is jerky and spins the disc too often to the point that it's not allowing me to be at all functional with trying to get things done. Selecting polygons or points gives me the spinning rainbow, and then straightlines and no selections except the odd point/ polygon.

I really need help here. It's so painful I think I'm going to die...

Well not really, but some help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I've optimized the hell out of both programs and reinstalled my OS 3 times and still nothing.

I have the same problem using a Powerbook 15" G4 1.33 Ghz 768Mb and an ATi 9700 64Mb.

Mac version of Modeler is much slower in graphic response than the Windows version of Modeler.

Please, fix that. Only look how Modo works with million polygons objects and then look at Modeler. Day and night.

As an example, try loading that object in a G4 in Modeler, Modo and MOdeler (Windows): Lightwave [8]/Content/Objects/Electronic/camera.lwo

fronzel
03-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Lscript commander

no worky work in 8.2

don't know about the other 8's

just down graded to 8.2 from 7.5 the other day.

stib
03-23-2005, 05:14 PM
For LW, most of the display performance is CPU dependent.

So, the bottom line is, you have to ask yourself how badly you want to do stuff, then hope your next job makes it worth the investment.

I bit the bullet, and love the G5 - Quiet, blazingly fast, and uses brute force to produce something approaching respectable display performance out of LW.

So upgrading the graphics card on my G4 - is it going to be worth the money? I was hoping to get a bit more mileage out of the old bomb.

blabberlicious
03-24-2005, 01:10 AM
So upgrading the graphics card on my G4 - is it going to be worth the money? I was hoping to get a bit more mileage out of the old bomb.

Sorry to say, no.

I did the same thing, upgraded to a Geforce Ti, which made virtually no improvement at all.

That's why I got so steamed on the forums.

The new card worked did show speed improvemnets with C4D, Motionbuildedr.

The G4 Dual is a great machine, and served me longer than any computer I've ever had. If it wasn't for LW, I'd probably still have it.

I part exchanged my G4 for a ex demo G5, 2.5, 2 gig of ram for £1000.

No going back!

gerry_g
03-28-2005, 03:32 AM
- UI still has black characters over dark grey within the input fields. light blue

-EPSF-loader does not load the .ai/.eps file when auto axisdrill is checked.

- Maximise/minimise viewport is not always responding when it has been hit with LMB in use with 0,I have to say that I'm working with a Wacon Intenuos 2 pad and yes i have checked Display options/ interface/ tablet.

- Quite bug. When ending a session after modeling in Modeler I get this promt "The application Modeler has unexpectedly quite." Power Mac G4

Yup !! all of the above except zero on the keypad maximizing the view port (works every time) and yes I'm using an Intuos 2 and no you don't need to press the left mouse button.
As to other bugs, I've not heard mentioned the failure for 8.2 to add visible file extensions when saving images manually ( not to be confused with OSX's preference for hiding file extensions by default ), I find if I don’t ad a file extension manually it is not readable by any other application until I do......can anyone confirm

Erizo
03-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Yup !! all of the above except zero on the keypad maximizing the view port (works every time) and yes I'm using an Intuos 2 and no you don't need to press the left mouse button.
As to other bugs, I've not heard mentioned the failure for 8.2 to add visible file extensions when saving images manually ( not to be confused with OSX's preference for hiding file extensions by default ), I find if I don’t ad a file extension manually it is not readable by any other application until I do......can anyone confirm

When i save a Backdrop configuration, the file does not have any file extension. ¿?

riki
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
LW 8.2, OS: 10.3.8, G4 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram

Okay so I'm renderring out a 60 frame scene to a quicktime Mov file. It's taking a bit longer than I expected, due to a dissolve sequence with reflections in the scene. Anyway so I quit out of Modeler and the Hub and select 'Hide Lightwave' froom the Application Menu, leaviing Layout running in the background. Later in the day, it's still renderring, so I launch Modeler and do a bit of work on a head model (not part of the above mentioned scene), no problem.

The next day I come back and Layout is still renderring in the background, almost finished, frame 50 (not sure if the Hub was running or not at this stage). But this time instead of launching Modeler and opening the head.lwo from within Modeler, I double click on the lwo icon, expecting it to launch Modeler. But instead Layout comes into focus and I get an error message, something to the effect, 'Scene Not Recognized'. Well that would seem obvious because it's a LWO file, so why did Layout try to open it as a scene file, instead of lanuching Modeler??

Then I noticed a bizarre problem, as a result of double clicking on a LWO file while Layout was renderring in the background, it caused the render to restart from frame one. So I aborted the render and took a look at the Quicktime file, expecting to have lost all that work, thinking that the restarted render would've over-written the QT file. But luckily it hadn't, it was tacking the new render sequence onto the end of the first renderred sequence.

Bizarre. Why would double clicking on a LWO file cause Layout to restart the render process?

stib
03-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Then I noticed a bizarre problem, as a result of double clicking on a LWO file while Layout was renderring in the background, it caused the render to restart from frame one.
After the horrendous crash-and-eat-your-files bug I got used to never ever opening any .lwo or .lws by double clicking in finder.

Just another way that Newtek makes my day that little bit less enjoyable..

earnestnewt
03-28-2005, 11:21 PM
LW 8
IK Booster saving and loading motions seemed to work OK.
LW8.2.1
IK Booster saving and loading motions now crashes Mac
everytime when trying to reload the motion.

LW8 and LW 8.2.1
IK Booster saving and loading poses not listed (doesn’t exist) on Mac side

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

OSX 10.3.8 Mac 2.5 dual

noiseboy
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Not sure whether this is a 8.2 bug because I've only just noticed it but the VBFileRequester gives the incorrect date on files. Its out by 70 years. Files that have a 2005 date have a 1935 file date in VBFilerequester.

or have I just returned from time travel?

LW 8.2.1
Mac OS 10.3.8
Dual G5 2Ghz 2.5GB Ram

Ozzie
03-30-2005, 10:27 PM
When using the Camera Properties tab. If I type in the Width field then hit return the cursor jumps to the back of the number in the Height field. Which means I have to hit the delete key to enter the number for Height.

With previous versions. After hitting return the second field would be highlighted so I could just type the number over the top of the existing number. It was quick and easy.

Can this please be changed back to the way it has always been.

CHEERS.

Mark

NigelH
04-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, specifically, they don't work every time (like they should). Quite often when I have to make an OGL preview of an animation, I'll select a frame range and hit 'OK', then the frame counter will progess through the frames, but the image area of the preview won't update. Lightwave will happily make a long preview of a still frame, or a partially drawn frame, or a blank frame. The only course of action (I've found) is to try again, and again, and again until inexplicably, it finally works, or I give up in frustration and move on.

This is not new to 8.2, or even 8.0. This has been a problem for as long as I have had Lighwave (well, I can't honestly remember back as far as 5.6, but defintely 6.0 on...), but seems more frequent with 8.X.

I don't recall anyone else ever complaining about this, so I'd be inclined to blame my system, but the behaviour is the same on my 2X 2Ghz G5, with an ATI 9600 - and with my 2X 533Mhz G4 with an nVidia GeForce4Ti. So I wouldn't be able to nail down a common denominator - other than Lightwave.

In my opinion, reading through the various posts over the years, I feel that OGL performance in general is LightWave's #1 problem on the mac platform.

jvavra
04-04-2005, 08:51 AM
The Export Rig command doesn't work. It just crashes Lightwave and I reboot and it does the same.

Works fine on my PC though, just nt MAC.

Mac OS X
Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC
1GB DDR SDRAM

Mr Mouse
04-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Construct > reduce polys (co-planar polygon reduction)
will crash the application if no polys are selected.

Ok so select polys then - ok I will, but if I slip it from time to time because I'm human, it crashes .

So beware.

Running 10.2.8
Dual G4 867
2gb memory (so why can't I remember anything)

tgiadd
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
I am having similar problems as 'kfinla' earlier in this list. I recently bought LW 8, and upgraded to 8.2.1, and if I try to import any 'obj' files or 'fact' files Modeller crashes.

My system is:
Panther 10.3.8
Dual 1 GHz
1 Gb SDRAM

It continues to happen even if I have no other applications active.

I understand if you have access to the version of 'conv3d.p' that shipped with pre-LW 8, you can import.

This is very annoying to say the least! I have no access to earlier versions, and feel this older plugin should be made available to registered users. :mad:

kfinla
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
the OBJ problem really should be resolved by now.. im not sure if this is Mac specific, but its been a known problem since 8.0 Its kind of lame to expect everyone to hack repair the issue themselves, assuimng they have the files.

I wasnt aware LW ever accepted Fact files so im not sure if that ever was a working function in LW.

Deep Image
04-20-2005, 03:55 AM
Again a other verry anoing bug. I can not open scene files in to LW 8.2.1 with TIFF textures. After trying to load it Layout crashes. Even when I choose new textures with the file extention .png. This is realy @#$$^&$^&*(()*(&%$# because at the moment I can not open old scene file with TIFF textures. And don't have the time to conferd everythink to .png in modeler. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

Machine Model: Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 867 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
GeForce2 MX
Wacom Intinous2

Zibi
04-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm rendering some objects with a 80% reflective surface (1% reflection blur) -nothing else no other plugins or shaders.

Rendering using any other Classic setting is fine, but render with 'Classic, Medium' and it renders the surface reflection highlights into the alpha channel.
does it every time regardless of which reconstruction filter is used.

Might make a cool plugin but not much use for now.

Clearly I can work around it -just use 'classic, enhanced medium' but you guys should know it's there.

LW 8.21
G5 2x2gig
1gig RAM
OS 10.3.9

Erizo
05-02-2005, 08:11 AM
I am trying to reproduce an object i made in Lightwave using a Windows computer but i am not able to make it using the Mac version.

I used AutopatcherMK.

Here it is the Spline mesh:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/calmadigital/lw3d/Autopatcher1.gif

Here it is the Windows result:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/calmadigital/lw3d/Autopatcher2.gif

And here it is the Mac result :angry:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/calmadigital/lw3d/Autopatcher3.gif

Here it is the object to test it if you want:

barco.lwo (http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/calmadigital/lw3d/barco.lwo)

I tried fliping the direction of the splines but no way.

Anyone else suffer this?

eblu
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
(copied the email I sent to [email protected])

hi.

there is a bug with the procedural textures in Lightwave.
when you invert a procedural texture in the bump map channel, other channels that rely on the values (using color maps that look at the bump channel), ignore the inversion, and screw any chances of that procedural being useful in a texture layering scheme.

to see the bug follow these steps:
1. open Lightwave load a simple object, open the surface editor.
2. add a procedural texture to the bump of the object, set it to be "crumple" Invert the crumple layer, making a nice procedural elephant skin texture.

3. test render... everything looks nice, exactly the way we expect it to.

4. now add a gradient to the color channel, set the gradient to "bump" and add extreme values to the gradient... say white at the top (value 0) black at the bottom (value 1). you may have to adjust value 1 to value 5, because well... Lightwave indiscriminately switches between normalization and percentage and screws everything up, but thats workable... anyway... take a good look at your shader ball... everything "looks" ok... but its not.

your gradient is Now reversing its values. putting what you set at value 0 at the (ABS) Height of the bump, and what you put at the (ABS) value at the bottom.

this is a problem, especially when you layer texture maps on your bump channel.

please fix,

MacOnTexture
05-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I hate to keep bringing this up....
I have had no sucess ever getting a high resolution texture to work correctly on my Lightwave... I've started from 6.5 and have worked through each release up to 8.2... I use 8.2 on the PC's at work.. but on my home Mac machine, lightwave seems to be permenantly stuck with low resolution textures. I can get the high resolution files to import, and apple to a surface... but when it renders... I'm stuck with what looks like 320x240 resolution textures. I have high resolution earth maps that I need to work with at home.. and high resolution sky maps.... I cannot get lightwave to render them right. I thought that this would SURELY be addressed by this release. Am I missing a cosmic joke?

Original texture map I've been attempting lately is 3600x3600... and it looks like poop

plandrey
05-07-2005, 09:30 AM
iMac G5 - 1.8 GHz - 1GB RAM -

In modeler, periodically while in wireframe mode, the orthographic views will turn solid white. This doesn't happen in the perspective window. Sometimes, zooming in or out slightly clears up the problem... sometimes not.

(Maybe result of cheaper video card? Because I don't have the same problem on my newer Dual 2 GHz G5s, but similar effects on older 1.8 GHz G5s. Can't afford to upgrade all 20 computers with $400 256 MB cards.)

ANOTHER issue... in VIPER, when rendering a preview, playback forward is really fast (way too fast), but in reverse it plays normal speed. Anyone else see this?

RonGC
05-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Mac G4 1.25ghz with 1 gb ram MAC OS 10.3.9 LW 8.2.1

trying to use Spline control for the animation of a tentacle. Applied through Object properties:deform:splineControl.

As soon as i move the camera or move the view by the viewport widgets to adjust the spline controls from a different view angle layout crashes.

Ron Cartier

cresshead
05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
8.3 lightwave selected points display BUG is STILL there....even with the following...

apple mac mini 1.42ghz 512mb ram
upgraded to lightwave 8.3
upgraded osx with combo installer 10.3.9 [113mb installer..full thing]

lightwave 8.3 still has the display bug....

reinstalled the 8.3 updater AFTER the osx updater just to make sure..
yep...still have the display bug!

yet it's fine in lightwave 7.5 demo version...

i'll need to contact newtek europe and get them to give me a code so i can downgrade to 7.5 for working in lightwave modeler on my mac.

Wonderful! :rolleyes:

steve g

[email protected]

gerry_g
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
All of the above I perennially suffered and always thought to myself –"Bloody Newtek when are they going to fix this f••••ing ap."– however I just bit the bullet and upgraded my old G4(single 400 with 125Mb Radion and 1 Gig of ram) for a G5 (dual 2.7 with 250 Mb card and 2 Gigs of ram) an' you know what, those problems no longer seem to be the issue they once were.......it's too soon to be unequivocal about this, but the combination of Lightwave 8.3, OSX 10.4 Tiger and a new G5 seem to have done the trick, maybe there's just a minimum spec to run something like this and a Mac Mini, like my old G4 just isn't it .

cresshead
05-15-2005, 05:05 PM
that's a bunch of horse **** i asked before i bought a mac if there were any issues i should know about...they said go ahead...the mac mini will be fine...it isn't!
they said [newtek dev staff] that if i upped to 10.3.8 or above that does fix it...it doesn't!.....i was also told by newtek europe that 8.3 fixes the display bug...and so added a second lightwave seat [£320] and that doesn't work either....

i am quite pissed off currently...not with apple though but mainly with newtek staff who do not actually know what their on about....get some beta testers or put a 72point warning for all mac users who may want to buy lightwave8.0.

gerry_g
05-15-2005, 06:08 PM
All I can tell you is what I've experienced since upgrading so far ..........port redraw speed is very fast and stable, common sense will tell you 256Mb of vram on a GPU is gona shift the redraw a whole lot better than 125Mb, particularly when you factor in how OSX has handled screen redraw by the system prior to Tiger.........go read the revue on [URL=http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.arshttp://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars

cresshead
05-15-2005, 06:16 PM
this either needs to be fixed as THE priority for newtek mac staff or people will walk away from lightwave on a mac based pc forever.

it is just not good enough to say go spend yet more money on operating systems as a "maybe" or possible fix for a thing that newtek broke in the first place, if anything i'll ditch themac as a 3d computer and go get a cheap dell intel pc to make some use of my second seat of lightwave..i REALLY do not need headaches like this to drag on for weeks/months/years/forever without proper re dress...

i really like lightwave and have used it with no problem on a pc for several years, yet lightwave 8.0 on a mac is terrible an utter waste of time and money so far.

riki
05-23-2005, 06:11 AM
LW 8.3 G5 2x2 1.5G

I'm having some difficulties with reorganising Menu items in Modeler. When you try to move menu items about in the right column (Config Menus window) they only move some of the times. This was never a problem in previous builds. Seems to be a recent problem.

eblu
05-23-2005, 07:13 AM
LW 8.3 G5 2x2 1.5G

I'm having some difficulties with reorganising Menu items in Modeler. When you try to move menu items about in the right column (Config Menus window) they only move some of the times. This was never a problem in previous builds. Seems to be a recent problem.

i stopped doing that altogether. LW seemed to get more flakey the more I customized it. One time it got so bad that it ate my menu config, I accidentally Moved (instead of copied) my backup menu config, and it immediately ate That! and of course at that point nothing in the interface is where you think it is.

go with the default. that way when it eats your configs, you aren't completely lost.
or maybe Newtek could fix the menu system? just a thought.