PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on a stylish twister?

HairyBouy
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Need to model and animate a stylish looking twister without using hypervoxels or anything else that is going to kill render times.
has anyone got any idea?

HB

Rory_L
01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Particle sprites and transp mapped poly rings, with the odd roof tile and car parts here and there?

R

Hoopti
01-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Sprites are HVs, he said he didn't want any HVs. I can't think of a way without using HVs though.

Hoop

Rory_L
01-23-2005, 09:45 PM
`Sprites` are camera orient-constrained polys, usually with transparency mapping. Not to be confused with Hypervoxels` `Sprites` mode.

R

treefitty
01-24-2005, 03:35 AM
I saw a Larry Shcultz (Splinegod) tutorial on modelling a fire with smoke using a object and texture displacements and some really smart procedural textures. I can't see why this couldn't apply to a twister!

Try a model shaped like a twister, add a texture displacment (crumple) add a reference null for texture mevement, tweek the textures to suit and blur baby blur.

Spline God's tutorial would be perfect for this!

Can Larry help, this is the question?

Treefitty

Hoopti
01-24-2005, 07:31 AM
`Sprites` are camera orient-constrained polys, usually with transparency mapping. Not to be confused with Hypervoxels` `Sprites` mode.

R

True enough, my bad. I made an assumption on what was meant and it was wrong. My apologies to the discussion.

Hoop