PDA

View Full Version : Battle Scene : The Brotherhood Space Opera

essencedesign
01-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Well fresh off the cooker...this is my Epic battle scene for a contest at CG Talk....

http://img128.exs.cx/img128/9976/brotherhood502ty.jpg

The Brotherhood Space Opera )))

Living a peacful life for generations farming and preserving their pristine land, the Bas`Cal started as settlers who fled the earth after it became unhabitable...Their settlement turned into a world,,their stories legends,,,they had a true harmony with the universe.....

The Ta'Gag are a brutal race of space Pirates.....moving from one world to another in their conquest. They have managed (through many deaths) to train a vicious beast known as the Gilrog for battle, and that has made them nearly unstopable.....

....This story follows one of these groups of Savages ....the Bas,Cal are un aware that a precious iron-ore similar to gold sits in the ground beneath their feet......
..and it has caught the attention of the wrong group of strangers.....

..now this brother hood of humans must fight for the first time in centurys to protect their lives, and their world.....

..will the heart of man prevail once again...... or will the Ta`Gag and the Gilrog destroy another world.....

..this space opera unfoldS )))

Total Scene polys ...14, 560, 434

Total Composition Layers PS....49

HOur rendering..........10 days on 4 Athlon mp2100's / 4 gigs

Lighting....

...home made HDRI 52%
5 omni's for color variations
4 spots for spec. only
11 random spots and points for things like torches and ship lights
Radiosity Monte Carlo 8/24 bouonces
scene ambient set low for a night time feel

Loads of painted textures.....maps added on with procedurals for dirt ...blood..ect ((IF you are LW user...the proced. "Puffy Clouds"...it's pretty much the only one I use...it rocks for everything from metal to dirt to bruises on skin...whatever...)))

Total 3 of ales drank.....lost count 2 3/4 months agO :argh:

Totat days of work skipped to work on challenge......not saying...

The public Judging starts on Friday so head on over and Vote Vote Vote !! :cool:

essencedesign
01-20-2005, 08:36 AM
I've been trying to upload a true Hi Res (final Image size is 2400 / 1050 )...

But the file size is so huge it keeps crapin out my web server.... :mad:

All comments welcome I wanted to show to my fellow LW's first :D

-NG-
01-20-2005, 09:44 AM
:eek: that's what i have to say :) Great detail there, i'll make sure to vote! Great work.

antwik-2
01-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Ah cool idea, I like the detail level but the light is little poor and it kind of have a lack of depth.

riki
01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Too many clones.

Don't get me wrong, you've done a great job, but for me it's just like staring at wallpaper, all I see is a repetative pattern. The eye naturally looks for patterns and it's a bit hard to go beyond that.

Hampuss
01-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Nice work :D

Steve Reeves
01-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow! I love the style of the piece - it looks just like a piece of fantasy art made in a non-electronic traditional way. Very nice indeed - lots of detail. Love the beasts. :)

Best of luck in the contest.

pixeltek
01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
That is a Herculean job - and 3 ales seems a little paltry there.

I definitely agree on "puffy clouds" That's a good one I like as well.

So all we see here is modeled in LW? Be that as it may, it's a great and very interesting image.

Congrats on an outstanding job and best of luck with the contest
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/ (now closed, but entries may be viewed here).

http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

starbase1
01-24-2005, 05:24 AM
I like the feel a lot. I'm not bothered by the indentical spacecraft - military vehicles are mass produced so it's reasonable enough.

I'm a bit bothered by the way the lighting and the sky are... The moons and the lighting on the ground all show a bright sun left of camera, but you have all those bright stars along the top of the sky. But the moons do not seem to act as a light source - and something is providing more frontal lighting. Also the pinkish moon is clearly an earth cresent moon reversed left to right. And most seriously you seem to have stars showing through the dark part of it.

I love all that stuff going off on the ground though, amazing levels of detail and grime. Wonderful beasts, pgreat textures, nice light from torches. It took me a while to realise you have cleverly avoided hair!

Nick

essencedesign
01-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Nick,,,thanks for the subjective eye...If I would have had more time I wish I could have blenden better the sky and stars..they were a last minute addition...It's tough when you look at an image everyday for so long ...especially a complicated one like this you miss some things I guess... :confused: ....

All was modeled in LW yes...that's a good thing right ?? :D

starbase1
01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry, I should hae emphasized the good stuff more! Its an awesome peice of work.

But I hope it is at least easy to remove the stars in front of the moon from the finished image.

Nick

lesterfoster
01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
But I hope it is at least easy to remove the stars in front of the moon from the finished image.

Nick

This is a fantastic work of LightWAVE art..

I agree with Nick about the stars and the moon. A quick photoshop fix :)

It looks more like it was made by a master airbrush artist

essencedesign
01-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Yup...no problem fix for sure....made a couple other "fixes" i noticed to....will replace the image with the new one when I get a sec...

..I was going for a "painted" feel to this...similar to old renicance battle paintings ...so I apprecitate much that comment... ;)

thanks for the support all )))

chemaelizondo
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I like what you´ve done. it looks fluid like you´ve taken a picture of some real event.
Buy I think that if you use the lights to create more contrast, it all would turn more alive and dramatic.

Cheers

JM