PDA

View Full Version : New Scene Editor problem in 8.2

Aquaman
01-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Anyone else having problems being able to multi select anything in the new scene editor in 8.2? Say for instance I want to change the subdivision order or render supatch level to all my subd objects in the scene all at once, all I can do is select them one at a time and change them. I've tried holding ctrl & shift but nothing happens. The only thing it will allow me to do is change values for one selected item at a time by dragging the mouse right or left with the left mouse button being held. This worked fine in 8.0 and 8.01 and works fine in 8.2 with the classic scene editor.

bloontz
01-20-2005, 07:24 AM
I can multi select but I can only change the value for one object at a time. And I can't open the spreadsheet, lightwave crashes when I try. I tried deleting the spreadsheet cfg file.

Aquaman
01-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Yeah I can multiselect items in the left panel, but I can't multiselect values in the right hand panel and change them all at once.

bloontz
01-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Can you open the spreadsheet without crashing lightwave? I'd like to know if others are having this problem.

Aquaman
01-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes I can open spreadsheet without any problems. I can multiselect and change values all at once in spreadsheet also.

bloontz
01-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks, I guess I'll have to try trashing my other config files...

Also, can you edit numerically in the scene editor? I can't, and changing values by dragging the mouse seems rather eratic.

Exper
01-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Try using the old Spreadsheet from Master Plugins / Spreadsheet Scene Manager... it works ok here and allow the old style multi-selections value adjustment.

Then... I'm agree... we should be able to do the same things (maybe with a preference switch) of the old spreadsheet using the new Scene Editor.

Aquaman
01-20-2005, 08:37 AM
bloontz, the only way I can change values is by draging the mouse right and left as well. It does not give me an option to type in values.

Elmar Moelzer
01-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Hey Aquaman!
There is a small collumn next to each entry in the list on the right. You can use these to shift/control- select. Then the popup wiht the nummeric entry will open again.
CU
Elmar

Aquaman
01-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Ahh Haa! Thanks Elmar. That did the trick. I was wondering if I was missing something.

Exper
01-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Yep... found it... RM click for more options! :D

I saw that one but I was thinking about a display problem! :eek:

Ramon
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey there Elmar. Hope all is well.
Now that we're on the topic of the scene editor...
One thing that I wish was like 7.5 is the fact that in 7.5 (I believe that was the version) you didn't have an "adjust properties" dialog box that came up and didn't have to hit "apply" every time you wanted to change a value that's a bit frustrating. :mad: I mean, if I change the value, it's because I'm changing the value not because I want to "play around" with another button that is to "apply" what I just finished applying! In 7.5 for instance, if you wanted to change the weightmap of bones just select all the bone's columns for the weight map value and right click to select the map. EASY and no hassle!
PLEASE either get rid of that annoying adjust properties and keep it the way it was in 7.5 where you select the change only once (within right clicking the columns selected) or at least give us the option to have it that way.

policarpo
01-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey Aquaman!
There is a small collumn next to each entry in the list on the right. You can use these to shift/control- select. Then the popup wiht the nummeric entry will open again.
CU
Elmar

Wow...this needs to be more aparent. I never would have thought of even doing that.

Is there a reason it was decided not to allow Multi Select in the Property columns?

Cheers.

Exper
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow...this needs to be more aparent. I never would have thought of even doing that.

Is there a reason it was decided not to allow Multi Select in the Property columns?Agree... I'd never clicked in that column before Elmar's post!

Make it more visible and add another little box on top of every column to select all column's items (should be appreciated as well).

The new behaviour is good when you have to change fastly one or two values... I like it! :p

Elmar Moelzer
01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Ramon and all!
Thats why the new behaviour has been added, so you dont have to deal with the popup anymore if you just want to change a few values.
I will point out the feedback you give here to Dave though.
CU
Elmar

colkai
01-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Actually, I rather prefer this to the old way - granted the column could do with beign a bit wider, but I like the option much more than the "old" method. :)

Ramon
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey Ramon and all!
Thats why the new behaviour has been added, so you dont have to deal with the popup anymore if you just want to change a few values.
I will point out the feedback you give here to Dave though.
CU
Elmar
Thank you Elmar. I (as I'm sure we all do) apperciate your envolvement in these posts very much. Thanks for your response. I have given examples here of what I mean Elmar in the hopes that it helps the LW team understand this frustration. Would it really be that difficult to impliment something that was already "correct" in 7.5? Here it is:
Way it "was" in 7.5 with the Spreadsheet editor (it works very efficiently:
http://www.ramonart.com/7.5excellent_SprdSheet.jpg

compared to the "laborious" 8.2:

http://www.ramonart.com/8.2scene.jpg

JamesCurtis
01-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Just to inform everyone. I also got Spreadsheet to crash LW. It happened to me when I had switched the main interface from bones to objects. Spreadsheet defaults at first to bones.

Only other issue, other than ones already stated elsewhere, is that when I go through a multi itemed list on the main interface to change the selected item, the original object that I began is highlighted in black [normal]. As I change the item by scrolling through the list that previously black highlighted item becomes highlighted in light grey.

Not sure if that's a bug, display problem, or a feature, as it's kinda nice knowing easily which item was previously selected.

voriax
01-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Can you open the spreadsheet without crashing lightwave? I'd like to know if others are having this problem.

I'm having this same problem, can't open the spreadsheet without Lightwave crashing.. Tried opening it through master plug-ins and it still crashed.. Any idea how to fix this?

private
01-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Same problem here on my work machine. What about 8.2.1? Fix(es)? :eek: :)
I haven't had the same bones problems some of the others have had, but I haven't generated any new rigs using the new bones tools. I'm hoping I don't encounter this: :confused:

Exception
01-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Opened LW 8.2 for the first time, loaded a scene which has been working for weeks, opened scene editor, multi selected something. BAM
> Exception Error in LWtools8.dll

Happy happy yay yay they managed to make Lightwave even more unstable than it already was. Everyone do an incompetence dance for newtek!

Karmacop
01-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Is this with fresh config files or old config files?

Exception
01-21-2005, 06:37 AM
It is with a clean computer with 8.0.1 running on it for months without problems, then installing 8.2, then opening, and crashing.

JamesCurtis
01-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I actually never installed the 8.01 update, but went directly to 8.2 from 8.0. Had no crash yet, but, I'll admit that I haven't tested the Scene Editor extensively yet though.

colkai
01-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Seems a few people have had problems running older configs with the upgrade, but it doesn't seem to be "across the board".
I haven't hammered it yet, but so far, no crashes, even using my old config files.

I suppose I really should rescan the plugins - in csae there any new or renamed ones. :)

Elmar Moelzer
01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Hello!
The old Spreadsheet does not work anymore due to changes made to the SDK (changes that were requested by many 3rd party- developers, among them Steve Worley).
CU
Elmar