PDA

View Full Version : *.lwo and *.lws

robal
04-15-2003, 04:37 AM
I have a question about lightwave files formats - can i use them in commercial product for free or they are copyrighted and cannot be used in such way?

hrgiger
04-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Um, depends on who made them and if they've made them royalty free or not. Sometimes, the creator will give freedom of use if credit is given.

A.Kelly
04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Actually, what robal is asking is:

Can the file formats of .lwo and .lws be used in a commercial product such as a PC game. Instead of having to build an engine that used a file format that he creates, would Newtek have any beef with him just using .lwo and .lws files and building the engine around that.

At least I think that's what he's asking. If not, then uhm.. I'll ask.. cuz I've been curious about that myself. :)

robal
04-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for answers. I asked about file formats, not about models in this files. I want just use a lightwave format to store models and animations instead creating my own and exporting them wich each change.

mattclary
04-15-2003, 10:52 AM
:confused:
Are you going to use LightWave to create these files? If not, what program do you plan to use?

Elmar Moelzer
04-15-2003, 11:56 AM
AFAIK one is free to use the LWO/LWS- fileformats for whatever one wants to. We had a complete 3d- engine based on them with LW as a leveleditor.
CU
Elmar

A.Kelly
04-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. Basically, instead of writing an exporter and making up a new file format to load into the engine, I was wondering if I would be stepping on anyone's toes if I just loaded lwo/lws files and went from there.

Which, I guess given over a span of a few sleepless nights, it wouldn't be too much of a trouble to build an exporter and not have to worry about such questions, but.... hey, doesn't hurt to ask. :cool: Thanks for the info.