PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Downloading 8.2

Hawkfyr
01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Wavers,
I'm having a problem that you may be able to help me with.

When I go to Download the update (8.2), I get an open pop-up window and then my download starts.

It then tells me it is downloading to a "Temporary Folder". (I've Set WinZip to downloads like this to a folder I selected..D:/zips)

Anyway..it doesn't end up in D:/zips and when the download completes,it opens up WinZip but there are no files in the archive to extract.(See Image)http://www.hawkfyr.com/images/lw802us.jpg

I typically use the old Right Click >Save Target As method to download files but this download procedure does no allow me to do it that way.

I've disabled pop-ups,even turned off my firewall, and have tried 4 or 5 times to get the update. I've even done a search on all 3 of my drives for lw802us.zip, but it can not find it.

Has anyone else had a problem getting the update?

I confess, it's been a long day so it might just be a loose nut above the keyboard, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

amigo
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I think you have set your .zip extension to open instead of prompt you to save the file when a link is clicked. This will result in WinZip trying to open a file from the IE cache but because the file is not being downloaded into cache (remember it's set to OPEN in WinZip) it comes up empty.

So, instead of opening directly in WinZip, save the file onto the disk (Save Target As...context menu). Beside knowing that you are saving the file to the disk, you will also not run into a problem of not having the file later as with directly opening it in WinZip.

Hawkfyr
01-19-2005, 07:26 PM
[So, instead of opening directly in WinZip, save the file onto the disk (Save Target As...context menu). Beside knowing that you are saving the file to the disk, you will also not run into a problem of not having the file later as with directly opening it in WinZip.]

That's the problem(see above)

..."I typically use the old Right Click >Save Target As method to download files but this download procedure does no allow me to do it that way."...

I'm unable to "save target as" If I right click on the 8.2 link(before the pop-up)

and try to right click . save target as,...I only have the ability to save the html file that links to the pop-up

By The way..I'm using WinZip 8 if that is of any help.

Okay...I can not seem to find a way to select "Prompt" or "automatic" in WinZip.

Should I clear my cache in IE?

I've looked there for the file (and done an extensive search) but I can not even find the "Empty"lw820us.zip file.

This is really strange,..I've never had problems downloading updates from NT before.

Thank you for your reply amigo.

I hate asking someone else for the file but I'm stumped.

I've even tried going directly FTP but I can only find the 7a-d patches.

Tom

amigo
01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Well I cannot try personally since I do not have access to these updates, but if you are getting a HTML file instead of ZIP when doing Save Target As there could be a number of reasons: mime-types are messed up on your system, NT server is doing some dynamic HTML creation but it fails to do it properly (it does not send proper content-type header), etc.

Have you tried this with an alternative browser just for the trial sake, also see if you can save that HTML file that you get with Save Target As and then look inside it for a direct URL to the update file that you can then copy/paste into your browser, you should be prompted to save it.

Also, you could try to dis-associate .zip extension which will force any links to be prompted with a Save dialogue. Open My Computer, go to Tools/Folder Options and then File Types. Scroll down to ZIP and then you could delete it altogether or perhaps, click on Advanced and tick Confirm Open after Download.

Hope some of this helps :)

Hawkfyr
01-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Sorry for late reply,

"also see if you can save that HTML file that you get with Save Target As and then look inside it for a direct URL to the update file that you can then copy/paste into your browser"

That worked,although I had to clip off the final file name to get to the ftp folder and then just copy the zip from there.

Thanks for the help..that was (and still is) driving me nuts why I couldn't get it the conventional way.

Anyway...Thanks again

Tom