PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 8.2 Status

P Jespersen
11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
To all you dedicated LightWavers:

When I accepted the job as 3D Project Manager at NewTek a couple of months ago, I made a couple of forum posts and told you I was going to do my best to implement changes. Among these would be:

· LightWave development would have a more open line of communication with you, our users.
· We would listen and do everything in our power to provide you with the tools you need to do your jobs better and faster.
· We would look at all aspects of the code for improvement, including deep core changes.
· Advances and fixes to LightWave would be steady and made available to you more often.

I said it then and I’ll say it now: good, solid development and putting the processes in place that make it possible take time. With that in mind, I am very happy to report that we are nearing completion on the first new Feature Update public release of LightWave [8], version 8.2. This new version of LightWave includes some fundamental changes in how things are handled within the code; some of these are issues that have existed in LightWave for years and have now been resolved.

In this upcoming build of LightWave you will find:

Significant Changes to Render Engine!

Powerful new anti-aliasing methods have been added to the renderer, which produce high quality images much faster. Extensive new filter options available in the renderer provide much greater flexibility to control the look and feel of an image/animation based upon the type of scene you’re rendering.

New UV Texture Options!

Major changes have been made to the UV tools, including Subpatch-Interpolation options. Using these new interpolation options remedy texture distortion when using subpatches with UV maps. These interpolation settings are user selectable, and may be changed at any time with interactive feedback.

Editing Discontinuous UV's is now possible without the need to unweld. All vertices may be selected and edited. Additionally, UV Texture display now supports Sketch Color, which makes for greater visibility of UV maps over images. The UV display colors are also a benefit when displaying and editing several UV maps at one time.

SDK Changes!

In our quest to make the life of third party LightWave developers a bit easier, there have been approximately 22 additions/changes made to LightWave’s SDK. This is the start of a general re-work of the SDK that will give developers the ability to provide better and more powerful plugins to the LightWave community.

As always with NewTek and LightWave, these interim builds are free to our customers. As a registered owner of LightWave [8], all you have to do is go online and download the update when it’s posted. The update is still a few weeks away, it’s currently in extensive beta testing, but with the holidays coming we thought you all might like to know that there is a gift coming from the new LightWave development team.

Watch for William “Proton” Vaughan to be posting videos throughout the coming days and weeks to illustrate some of these advancements. I am honored to be a part of the new LightWave development team and this amazing community.

Best wishes to you all.

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager

P Jespersen
11-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive response on the post!
We are commited to getting these updates out to you as fast as we can.
You have all been very patient and deserve everything we can get you as fast as we can get it to you. :)
Even before this gets out to you we will already be working on another. I can not commit to a time or to the content but I will say we have more than a few of these planned.

Thanks again everyone for your support, dedication and making this the best 3D community on the planet!

Onward and upward!

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
Newtek

P Jespersen
11-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Ali,
We are trying to get improvements out as we finish them and sometimes what we get to first is not dictated by market pressure or personal preference. ;)
There are dependencies we have to be aware of as we re-write and do our best to avoid the design mistakes made before.

With that said, there are many tool/feature "commonalities" between architectural visualisation, tv/movie, games.....ect.
Any of the items on your list would serve ALL of our users in one way or another.
Many of our customers use LightWave for different types of technical, industrial or artistic visualisation not just character animation.
A lot of their great work ends up in print , intructional videos, interactive media....... things other than movies or tv.

We are working VERY hard to make improvements, but these improvements are not just feature based. Many are core to LightWave's functionality and it's extensibility.
These improvements will not only allow NewTek to provide new tools and features faster but also 3rd parties who's interests and future lay in more specialized areas.

I hope you keep LightWave in your production pipeline as one of the tools that helps you stand out in your corner of the graphics world.

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

P Jespersen
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
8.2 Update

The LightWave team has been working fast and furiously over the last several weeks on 8.2. Our goal was to get it polished up and ready to deliver to you in time for the holidays. We are in the final stages of testing, but our commitment is to make sure that every release is as rock solid as you expect so, we're going to hold off distribution until the first part of January. We know you would like it earlier, but our first priority is quality and stability. We're very sorry but you're going to have spend the holidays with your family enjoying food and fun. (For those cynics out there... no, we did not take bribes from any wives or girlfriends.) Best wishes to everyone this joyous season... we'll see you in 2005.

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

P Jespersen
01-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Dear Loyal LightWavers,

Well, it's a bit later than planned, but LightWave [8], version 8.2, has
arrived and I hope you're all busy getting acquainted with the new
capabilities we've added. It was our desire to deliver a gift for the
holidays, but we opted to include a bit more than originally planned. We
also spent a great deal of time on a search and destroy mission, to rid
LightWave of some long standing bugs that we all find annoying...a mission
we will continue throughout the life cycle of LightWave [8].

When I started in September, I told you that we would be making many
incremental changes to the software and would make those updates available
to you as early as possible... 8.2 is part of that promise.

Back in September I also said we viewed LightWave as a work in
progress; we've added some exciting new rendering options, updates to
VIPER, IK Booster enhancements, SDK improvements and done extensive
work in the core to advance our UV tools. While we've made many
changes...many more are on the way. As I have stated before, this
team is committed to reshaping LightWave.

There is no aspect of the software that is not under extreme
scrutiny. Our sleeves are rolled up and we're diving deep into the
code. Over the course of the next several months you'll see even more
progress... free updates and more bug hunting.

I promised that the LightWave team would be more responsive, more
communicative and better at directly incorporating your feedback. I trust
you are beginning to see the fruits of these efforts. But there is more
than what is happening on the development side. I hope you've noticed that
marketing has established a monthly LightWave newsletter, tutorials and
videos are added weekly to the web site, our PR efforts are improving, the
look of our web site is being updated and new advertising in new venues
starts now.

As always, you can expect us to be active here on these forums. If you have
comments on the new build, you can share them here or [email protected] or
[email protected]

For those of you who haven't updated to LightWave [8] yet... what are you
waiting for? No, really... now is a good time. Free updates, cool new
features... and sales tells me there are still a few copies of REALVIZ
ImageModeler 4 in stock... so, you get that free too!
I know shameless sales pitch. ;)

As always, thanks for your continued support. You are what makes LightWave
great.

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek