PDA

View Full Version : Deleting CFG Files?

kevinmcpoland
01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I read in a couple of posts that when installing an update it's best to delete the cfg files before running the new version.

Trouble is, I done a search on *.cfg and found loads!

Taking into account that I accepted the default installation locations on my C drive, can anyone tell me the exact names of the config files I should be deleting?

Thanks,

Kev McP

JamesCurtis
01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
If you are refering to LW8 configs, they will have an 8 in the filename, LW8.cfg, LWM8.cfg, LWEXT8.cfg, LWHUB8.cfg, etc. If you are doing the update to 8.2, I didn't have a problem with the config files that I had currently on my machine [so far]. I will consider deleting them and recreating new configs if there is one found. other 7xx versions of LW had similar names, only there was a 3 in the filename.

I do recommend you make a backup of your current configs in case you do have a problem. The configs are usually found in your Documents and Settings folder or a subfolder of it [ at least with LW 7.xx and 8.xx.

BeeVee
01-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey Kevin,

The most important ones to LightWave - and the ones that may cause problems - are:

LW8.CFG
LWEXT8.CFG
LWM8.CFG
LWHUB8.CFG

Delete them once you have quit LightWave completely (Layout, Modeler, Hub). Once you have deleted them then restart Layout and do the following:

Hit Alt F11, scan directory (pointed at your LightWave Plugins folder)
Alt F10, change your menus to the 7.5 preset, then back to default
Alt F9, change your keyboard shortcuts to the 7.5 preset, then back to defaults

Once you've done all these, quit Layout and Load Modeler, then quit it.

These are all steps for PC owners. Eblu pointed out on here that it caused problems for Mac owners and I need to verify what problems this causes.

B

kevinmcpoland
01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks James, Thanks Ben, doing it now...

Kev McP

BeeVee
01-19-2005, 04:36 PM
There are new buttons added to the Modeler menus, particularly for working with the new UV maps to make it worthwhile... :)

B

Exper
01-20-2005, 02:09 AM
I had no problems with CFG files... 8.0 -> 8.0.1 -> 8.2

I suggest in making a copy somewhere then update... if you have some problems then copy the backup CFG files... if the problem persists then erase them (not the backup ones) and rescan plugins.