PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Viper?

Fausto
01-19-2005, 04:00 PM
So I fix the problem with Hypervoxel, but now Viper won't preview anything, not, Hypervoxels, not pre-rendered scene, nothing, just a black preview. It doesn't matter what setting is used either..I noticed someone else was having this problem, but for the life of me can't remember what forum it was on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

-NG-
01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I think that whas on the cgtalk forums, i haven't checked out layout, been fooling around in modeler only so i can't confirm it.

Elmar Moelzer
01-19-2005, 04:51 PM
hmm, just checked, working fine here.
Did you have Hypervoxels open, when testing it?
CU
Elmar

mgreenway
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Yes, mine is the same.
I enable viper
f9 to render
open viper
hit render
Nothing happens.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-19-2005, 06:19 PM
The surface editor must be open to use Viper...

prospector
01-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Sometimes mine too.
I get it to work once in a great while but not often

I also don't remember it NOT doing Textures (UV'd ones), and having to be number 0 to render it and see textures. It seemed it always did UV textures even if it was Sub'Ded.

mgreenway
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the tip on the surface editor, I was foolishly useing F1s help, where it make no mention of the surface editor in the instructions.
Now I have the FireWalkSample.lws scene loaded as they do in help. But I still don't get the options in the "Preview Options" drop-down?
Any more ideas?
Thanks
Mike

Chris S. (Fez)
01-19-2005, 08:22 PM
"I was foolishly useing F1s help, where it make no mention of the surface editor in the instructions."

Ha! I came across the solution by accident in a clicking rage. I am not sure if Viper always worked like this or not.

As for your other Viper woes, I am sorry but I got nothing. Keep us updated if you find a solution.

Fausto
01-19-2005, 11:51 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not the surface editor is open, version 8.2 is still having issues on my computer related to viper. Just in case I didn't mention it, this is a fresh install to a new HD and folder. I tested the Hypervoxel prior to installing the 8.2 update and lo and behold it worked as expected, it's something in the 8.2 update causing viper not to render. Layout in general also seems considerably less stable than before.

Cheers,

Elmar Moelzer
01-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Hello Fausto!
As I said, it works fine here.
Can you please provide me with the exact steps to reproduce your problem?
Also: Did it work fine in LW8.01?
Are you on a MAC, or a PC?
Can you send me a testscene, so we can debug it?
Thanks and sorry for any inconveniences.
CU
Elmar

Fausto
01-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks a lot for your input Elmar, but I think I've solved the problem. I went through the same process as earlier in the day, unistalled the application, deleted the folders, and configs and added one more step unistalled the older 7.5d that was still on my machine. I removed all the plugins and lscripts that I've accumulated over the years, and reintroduced them one at a time so I could track if one of them was the problem. After about 2 hours worth of fiddling, everything seems as it should, it's working, not sure how stable it is, but I'll know that over the next few days.

In any case, thanks again to everyone who offered advice and insight, cheers, and have a great day.

PS, I'm running a dual athlon, 1.4 Ghz
1Gig MB
ATI 9800 Pro
Win XP SP2

I know I should be upgrading this machine,
but It has been such a work horse, I've grown attached to it.

mattclary
01-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Viper!?!?!? We don't need no stinkin' Viper! We got F-Prime! :cool:

Elmar Moelzer
01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Well until Fprime supports Volumetrics, you can preview them in Viper using the new Mosaic- mode :)
CU
Elmar

Fausto
01-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Viper!?!?!? We don't need no stinkin' Viper! We got F-Prime! :cool:

Yep you're right, but as Elmar says, until it supports Volumetrics Viper is still useful

I'm definately looking forward to an FPrime update.