PDA

View Full Version : Still flickering rendering in 8.2

dito
01-19-2005, 08:40 AM
I have object that has procedural bump texture and as we all know renderings have flickering in it, now I wanted to try same scene in 8.2 but I am getting same flickering, is there a setting that could remove this broblem. I tried Classic PLD 5 Pass and Gaussian PLD 5 Pass both have same problem.

dito
01-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I just tried Mitchell PLD 9 Pass and animation still has flickering. It has just one poligon with procedural bump texture.

dito
01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I was really hoping that 8.2 would improve flickering problem.

Elmar Moelzer
01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Hello!
Texture- Antialiasing of procedural textures is very difficult, particularily if it is a bumpmap (texture- antialising Bump- maps has its own can of worms so to say).
Best way to deal with it is, to render with higher AA- levels and/or to use gradients to fade the texture with the distance.
However, we are currently investigating ways to improve this behaviour a bit.
CU
Elmar

tischbein3
01-20-2005, 04:28 PM
...and try to keep bump levels lower/equal than 1.0 / 100%.

brap
01-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Hello!
Texture- Antialiasing of procedural textures is very difficult, particularily if it is a bumpmap (texture- antialising Bump- maps has its own can of worms so to say).
Best way to deal with it is, to render with higher AA- levels and/or to use gradients to fade the texture with the distance.
However, we are currently investigating ways to improve this behaviour a bit.
CU
Elmar

Hi Elmar,

Good to hear that you guys are working on this problem, that's an issue which often takes a lot of effort at render time. What I usually do it split off heavily bump-mapped objects as separate passes, so that they can be treated with extra loving care in post. :)

dito
01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I work on photo real environments for film/video and procedural bumps are must for buildings and mountains. I think if this problem is fixed Lighwave rendering engine will be the best renderer out there, considering 8.2 improvements, I get same results as Extreme AA but in 1/2 time!!! (I know everyone will jump... where is SSS)