PDA

View Full Version : Motion Designer falling thru the cracks - 7.5

A.Kelly
01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Having a bit of a problem with the cloth dynamics falling thru the cracks of a wooden table that I have made. The cloth itself is just supposed to lay on the table and dangle over the edge as well.... Which, for the most part works as you can see. BUT! you can also see where the cloth wants to ...underestimate... the edges of the table. Anyone have any ideas as to what kind of setting I could buff up to keep this from happening?

evenflcw
01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Don't use the actual table object as the collision object. Use a simplified stand-in (untick it in the scene editor to prevent it from showing up in renders). This will give you faster calculation times and let you help MD circumvent some issues. For example, model the stand-in without cracks (or if you still want them, just make indentations instead of gaping holes). For a table you could do with an object corresponding to the red wires in the attached image. Just remember how MD does it's evaluations/calculations... target object points on collision object polygons.

A.Kelly
01-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the info evenflcw, seems to have worked great. Now, however I've ran into the problem of the "unticked mold" eating my cloth. It still shadows correctly where the cloth should be, but parts of the cloth itself drop into the mold and go unrendered as well ( as you can see on the left side of the disc and some on the right).

Maybe its just a MD glitch that I'll have to work around...

If anyone has any resources for MD that you might think would help me out, post and I'll check them out.

evenflcw
01-20-2005, 09:11 PM
MD and any dynamics really takes quite abit of fiddling.

Does the cloth fall straight through right away or only after a while. If it fall straight through right away perhaps it is not even colliding with the first plane of the table and you need to raise the cloth up abit more before starting the calculations.

How highres is the cloth at the moment? It might be you need to up the resolution of the mesh aswell as the skin thickness (in MD prop panel) of the cloth to give it more leeway for deforming around the table.

A.Kelly
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
..........I've actually debated against posting this, but just to ease the minds of those wondering about this problem.. I will. :D

First of all.. many thanks to you evenflcw. The unticked box worked great to solve my primary issue. After getting home from work this morning, I started playing around with some more settings. Then it hit me...

Thru all the settings, and jumping back and forth, and working with the texture to get it like I wanted, I FORGOT TO CHECK DOUBLE SIDED. <insert smacked forehead here>

Everything is working fine now... lmao - its always the little things that get you. :)

Panikos
01-21-2005, 11:59 AM
In Cloth dynamics, the density of the two colliding geometries plays major role.

;)