PDA

View Full Version : LightWave [8] Feature Update - Version 8.2 Released

Kurtis
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
NewTek Releases Free Feature Update to LightWave 3D®
Major Changes to Modeler and Renderer Cores add Innovative Technologies to Emmy®-winning 3D Application in 8.2 Update

NewTek is pleased to announce the release of a major feature update, version 8.2, for LightWave 3D®. The update includes major changes to the renderer core to implement new technologies for anti-aliasing, as well as new options for image reconstruction filters that can be applied to the final image to offer further control and enhancement of render output. The new LightWave® Team has also implemented a completely redesigned UV engine in the geometry core, which affects both Modeler and Layout, to make creating and editing UV maps easier and more powerful. The update is a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8].

For the complete text of our press release see:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-18-05a.html

For more information or to order see:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82/index.html

BeeVee
01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
If you are a NewTek Europe customer you can go here: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

B

Kvaalen
01-18-2005, 01:18 PM
This rocks!

I've been eager to get this update and it is finally here!
The new features look great!

Downloading now... :)

pixym
01-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks Newtek

I am downloading from the Newtek-Europe server that announces me 1 day of downloading duration :(

byte_fx
01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Just a sad note - I haven't been able to reach Mewtek's US ftp page for the last two days - keep gettng a 'page nor fould' error message

byte_fx

BeeVee
01-18-2005, 01:33 PM
You won't get it from the ftp site anyway...

B

Wade
01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
thanks all,

down load worked grate here took maybe two minutes or less. woooooooohhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Wade :D :D :eek:

Jure
01-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Congrats Newtek! I'm so excited!
cheers!

phil lawson
01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Nice one guys!

Currently getting a blistering speed of 986 bytes off Newtek Europe...but hell, at least I'm getting it. :D

Jure
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice one guys!

Currently getting a blistering speed of 986 bytes of Newtek Europe...but hell, at least I'm getting it. :D

Hehe I can't even get to the download page. I hope we don't overflood the server! One at a time please! ;)

willog
01-18-2005, 01:53 PM
I guess the servers are well flooded by now, I started the download and got to 1% and it tells me that I got 6days to go for the 20meg download :-)

Looks like there's a lot of people wanting this update, I'll just have to wait my turn for a look at it. Sounds like a fine update too, so I am looking forward to it.

pat-lek
01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Cool!!! (Thanks!))

BeeVee
01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey look, I'm getting 1.3K per second and I work for the company! :) Suffice to say the world and his LightWaving-using wife are trying to download the update at this time... :)

B
PS. don't worry, I've cancelled my download, I just wanted to check... :)

Jörg
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
at first thanks newtek and newtek-europe

I think I have it at 02.01.2005 here!!!!

can you overbid my download? a duration of 14 days several hour and the download speed is ???

JJ

byte_fx
01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
You won't get it from the ftp site anyway...

B

Actually that is where Newtek posts updates and member freebies (and where the link yupu click on connects to for the dk)- or at least they used to.

Look in /pub/ directory.

But I was trying to dl some of the textures from members' freebies.

None of those work either.

It's not the first time that server has died and probably won't be the last.

The other possinility is that the 'net addy has been changed and the slow as molasses in New Ehngland on a Janurary morning DNS service my IP uses hasn't updated yet. This sometimes takes a week. Blinding fast uploads and downloads in the neighbprhood of ~900 k bytes/sec but the DNS updater really sucks.

Traceroute and ping both connect to the site ok - but get a 'Page not found' error from the pop up on the update page.

byte_fx

Lewis
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks to all NT guys/girls for all hard work :).

You guys are very happy and don't complain with 1kb/s ;). I'm downloading for last 50 minutes and still didn't go above 500 bytes/sec (currently at 137 bytes/sec) :).

Looks like whole world is using LW :)?

colkai
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Nice one guys!

Currently getting a blistering speed of 986 bytes off Newtek Europe...but hell, at least I'm getting it. :D

Yeah -.. reminds me of my old 14.4K modem days! :p

Ztreem
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Awesome!! The Newtek-Europe server seems to be too busy right now, I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Thanks Newtek for a great job, keep it up! :D

paulhart
01-18-2005, 02:29 PM
My appreciation to the Newtek team for getting this out the gate. I am looking forward to testing the new feature set, (currently rendering PLD 1-Pass, Mitchell [Sharp] just to see quality/speed, on a slow scene) very excited. Take a breath, say hello to your families/friends, I'll look forward to the third party wave to come and your future developments.
Paul

Lynx3d
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
My download already starved a dozend times, although there is a stop/resume functionality in Opera something tells me the file is gonna be corrupted... :rolleyes:

If it was a BitTorrent i guess downloads would smoke right now with dozends of seeds :)

BrianW
01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
I didn't think the servers where too slow. I downloaded the wole update in just over a minute on my DSL :D
See ya'll later as I go and play with the new 8.2!
BrianW

js33
01-18-2005, 02:51 PM
My download went very fast 500 kb/sec but then again I'm on 4 mbit cable. It only took 15 seconds to download. :D

Playing with the new AA feature.

Thanks Newtek for all the hard work.

Cheers,
JS

Barred
01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
It looks like there is a difference to the US and the Europeans bandwiths. I have notkiced those in the US saying that "I got mine in under 15mins there is not a problem" whilst those of us in Europe are crawling along at 875bytes yep 875bytes. 6 hours on a 1meg DSL to download a 20meg file.

Don't get me wrong I am chuffed for NT that they have gotten this out of the door and thanks :)

Just why the disparity?

pixym
01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
After more than 1 hour of downloading at Newtek Europe: 3 hours and a half to be complete

Wonderpup
01-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I also want to thank the lightwave team, not just for the new features, which look great, but also for that long list of fixes. As an artist I can only imagine the mind numbing complexity of tracking down those bugs and squashing them, but we've all been there in one way or another. It's not glamarous but it is important.

Features are great, but stability and reliability are everything, so I really appreciate the effort put in here.

I think we sometimes forget that behind the tools we use are real people with real feelings ( I am certainly guilty of this) so just to say, thanks guys.

I live in lightwave 8 hours a day, and it's a nice place to be.

gjjackson
01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
When I download I'm getting a blank zip file. What's going on here.

Jure
01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
LW 8.2 is finaly out and it just started to snow outside for the first time this winter here.
It just feels like xmas! :)

T-Light
01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
About to retire for the night and wouldn't you just know it... 8.2 :p

Brilliant, good on you boys and girls.

Chocks Away, Only another 5hrs 55minutes to go at a whopping 156bytes/sec.

Isn't BT broadband wonderfull :rolleyes:

Seriously though, those servers must be chocka.

Jaffro
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm giving up on the download for tonight, it stopped and didn't go anywhere at all. Might wait for a couple of days. Or maybe wake up early tommrow morning.

Still reallllllllllllllllyyy looking forward to this! :D

gjjackson
01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Okay..... Update to blank download.

For some reason I get a blank download because winzip automatically opens because it's associated with zip files. Doing that it comes up blank. Taking away the association and saving directly it has the 22mb exe file.

BTW. downloaded at 188k/s. Thnx for the update and all the programmers excellent work.

trick
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Just saw an exciting movie and now this...It's too much to handle in one day so I'm going to sleep.

Thanks and happy downloadin' :D

cresshead
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
newtek europe site's server is in a coma...nothing happnin...
tis a shame we can't use newtek usa as a mirror'd download location then maybe...us poor 2nd rate internet users in the "old world" could get 8.2 before 8.3 comes out! :confused: :rolleyes:

oh well...maybe in feb!

ben?....can you sort something out here?...maybe offer a cdrom in the post for those who really would like to get ahold of this update?

Matt
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Whhhhhhooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o!!

:)

policarpo
01-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone have any luck with the .PSD exporter working?

It still seems broken to me.

I guess fixing it was outside this versions scope.

Oh well.

The new AA features seem nice though. Having access to these will definitely speed things up. I've love tweaking my AA settings since my 3dsmax days.

I haven't messed with the new UV tools since I use Body Paint...but they seem cool.

3DBob
01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey Matt - You got it yet or are you crippled like the rest of us EU users?

Elmar Moelzer
01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey Policarpo!
The direct output of LWs renderbuffers, that was used in the PSD- exporter until now, is not very well suited for the PSD- exporter, since LW combines its renderbuffers with a different math, than PS offers in its Layer- blending- modes. We will have to process the buffer- output a bit more to make this work well.
This is being worked on though.
CU
Elmar

policarpo
01-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey Policarpo!
The direct output of LWs renderbuffers, that was used in the PSD- exporter until now, is not very well suited for the PSD- exporter, since LW combines its renderbuffers with a different math, than PS offers in its Layer- blending- modes. We will have to process the buffer- output a bit more to make this work well.
This is being worked on though.
CU
Elmar

Oh...ok. Good to know.

Just make Worley include this export feature in fPrime while you are at it since it's still an open issue.
;)

Cheers.

lasvideo
01-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Holy Moly! I just downloaded it in 60 sec. The pdf manual doesnt seem all there yet.

thekho
01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Whoooo....oooo!!!!!

Been downloading after about 4 hours!!!

Im going to playing with it now! Whooo!!!!

Anyway, thanks, newtek and newtek europe! :)

colkai
01-19-2005, 04:13 AM
newtek europe site's server is in a coma...nothing happnin...
tis a shame we can't use newtek usa as a mirror'd download location then maybe...us poor 2nd rate internet users in the "old world" could get 8.2 before 8.3 comes out!

hehe - I share your pain, manages to reach about 105K before the download goes URGH and dies. Been trying since last night - sighhh - S'not fair - maybe Newtek US needs to mail Newtek Europe some additional bandwidth. :p ;)

Exper
01-19-2005, 04:32 AM
Everyone in Europe can download LW 8.2 following this simple steps...
take a look here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=243562&postcount=13

[Edit: hoping NT Europe will be fair about this little trick! :D]

Matt
01-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Just to really peeve those still downloading, mine took about 30mins last night, installed and checking it out now!

Jaffro
01-19-2005, 05:28 AM
How did you manage that matt?!

I woke up at 3am and tried and still got nothing. maybe that was a dream tho :S My firefox download just gave up completely before the first mb was done.

I think nt eu really need a couple of mirrors, unless they already do and its automatically routed to the best one. In that case, ****.

Exper
01-19-2005, 05:32 AM
Jaffro... take a look at my previous post! ;)

Jaffro
01-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Already there man :) 19% done now. Thanks for the tip! Hope its done before i have to goto uni this afternoon, but i guess this download app will resume if i need to break it off. All is, well not good, but ok :)

And i got a new render farm in the makings coming on friday :P oooo this is a good time indeed!

caesar
01-19-2005, 05:41 AM
NT boomed us again!!!! THx!!!!!!

Ztreem
01-19-2005, 05:42 AM
What!?? I thought it would be faster today, but that isn't the case... I've reached 5% ... now it's only 95% left... If I'm lucky I can play with it tonight... I thought my T1 line was fast. It's like traveling backwards in time to the old dial-up time. :(

For the first time I'm exited to begin using UV's... Thanx Newtek!

The ripper
01-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Average speed 0.5 to 2.0 K... this is ridiculous :rolleyes:

The ripper.

Barred
01-19-2005, 06:30 AM
16 hours so far and I am only at 60% hmmmmm :(

Kurtis
01-19-2005, 06:33 AM
I am with NewTek US, but I am going to reply here on their behalf.

NewTek Europe is doing everything it can to increase bandwidth for those of you in their service area. Since the release of the update, NewTek Europe has increased their actual bandwidth and ceased all internal bandwidth use, including email, forums, and web browsing, to allow for more access from the outside.

Please be patient. NewTek Europe is making every effort to accommodate you.

Miles
01-19-2005, 06:33 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_15.gif

3DBob
01-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi All,

I used the FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER program

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpos...62&postcount=13

When it bombs it reconnects and you can set in the preferences to have multiple connections - I put mine up to 12.

Before I used this I was getting 300bytes/second from Newtek.

After I got 300 X 12 - 3600 on average - and it took less than 1.5 hours to download!

Installing now - In 10 prior attempts I downloaded 12MB data - none of it useful - now I'm off there servers and the bandwidth is freed up.

Good luck all

3DBob

Exper
01-19-2005, 07:13 AM
3DBob... the correct link is this one:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=243562&postcount=13

@Miles: another great smile! :D

Ztreem
01-19-2005, 07:22 AM
3DBob: Thanks for the tip! I had a speed of 3000 b/s now I have 10 -15k/s. :D

3DBob
01-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Ztreem - can't take credit for all of it - just the bit about upping the connections

Exper found the proggy.

3DBob

Ztreem
01-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Yep! that's right! Thanks to you Exper for sharing the link. :)

Now I've installed it and the new UV tools are great, maybe I'll begin to use UV's for my objects now. I'm HAPPY! :D

Exper
01-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm happy that someone found it useful! ;)

Jaffro
01-19-2005, 10:39 AM
woohoo finally finished :D Great stuff, could've done it so soon without ya exper :D

Doran
01-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't understand. I downloaded it last night and both the PDF and the 8.2 upgrade took less than a minute total together...

Hi All,

I used the FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER program

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpos...62&postcount=13

When it bombs it reconnects and you can set in the preferences to have multiple connections - I put mine up to 12.

Before I used this I was getting 300bytes/second from Newtek.

After I got 300 X 12 - 3600 on average - and it took less than 1.5 hours to download!

Installing now - In 10 prior attempts I downloaded 12MB data - none of it useful - now I'm off there servers and the bandwidth is freed up.

Good luck all

3DBob

ColinCohen
01-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't understand. I downloaded it last night and both the PDF and the 8.2 upgrade took less than a minute total together...

Those outside America had to download it from a different set of servers.