PDA

View Full Version : LightWave [8] Feature Update - Version 8.2 Released

Kurtis
01-18-2005, 12:46 PM
NewTek Releases Free Feature Update to LightWave 3D® Major Changes to Modeler and Renderer Cores add Innovative Technologies to Emmy®-winning 3D Application in 8.2 Update

NewTek is pleased to announce the release of a major feature update, version 8.2, for LightWave 3D®. The update includes major changes to the renderer core to implement new technologies for anti-aliasing, as well as new options for image reconstruction filters that can be applied to the final image to offer further control and enhancement of render output. The new LightWave® Team has also implemented a completely redesigned UV engine in the geometry core, which affects both Modeler and Layout, to make creating and editing UV maps easier and more powerful. The update is a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8].

For the complete text of our press release see:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-18-05a.html

For more information or to order see:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82/index.html

BeeVee
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
If you are a NewTek Europe customer you can go to: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

B

ingo
01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks a lot guys. So now i know what to do the next days.

DrCuervo
01-18-2005, 01:28 PM
ROCKIN' !
Time to get it and play!
Gracias to everyone at NewTek :D

peteb
01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Downloading now, yipeee!
Thanks Newtek I think considering this is only fraction release you've done a great job. Sounds like a lot of the features you've added would usually be added in a full release. So top stuff keep up the good work I think, you're winning back a lot of faith.

Peter B

Realimagesvideo
01-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Can this upgrade update VT[4] Lightwave 8.01 versions??

-NG-
01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
W00t! :D Time to explore it, Thx newtek! Seems like it's busy at newtek europe :p

sjon
01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
This is great! Now we can not only Left Click and Right Click - we can Rick Click (uh, who's Rick??). Really, I'm not kidding!. Look at page 17 of your lw82addendum.pdf under Dope Track Menu Enhancements. You not only can Rick Click, but you can Rick Click and Drag - pretty cool, huh? Now all I have to do is to figure out how to Rick Click - hmmmmm.

Sjon

-NG-
01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
This is great! Now we can not only Left Click and Right Click - we can Rick Click (uh, who's Rick??). Really, I'm not kidding!. Look at page 17 of your lw82addendum.pdf under Dope Track Menu Enhancements. You not only can Rick Click, but you can Rick Click and Drag - pretty cool, huh? Now all I have to do is to figure out how to Rick Click - hmmmmm.

Sjon

For real? They probarly made a typing error......otherwise, time to click on rick :p

felix_man
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Hmmm. I noticed the SDK improvements, I wonder if this will give Worley what they need to have full support for fPrime... ie surface plugin support.

Fingers crossed

riki
01-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Excellent News , thanks for the update. Any Mac users installed the update yet?

sjon
01-18-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm a Mac User and I've installed it. That new rendering engine is great. There are a number of other things 8.2 has, but I haven't got to them yet. The install was really fast and all my old configs where there. Looking forward to using it. I seem to be one of those who has a stable system and rarely experience many of the problems I read about on here (for which I am most thankful). Every once in a while my settings go off a little or I lose a plug in or two, but all in all, all my upgrades (from 6.5 onward) have been fairly smooth.

Sjon

sleiron
01-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks Newtek!

I'm downloading the Mac Version from Europe, it's a bit slow. In the meantime I can read the changelog which is pretty long....

- AH_CelShader (celshade.p) is not available for Mac anymore

Are there some details about this?

apart from that, great improvments & new features!

cheers
Sleiron

Paul Lara
01-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Can this upgrade update VT[4] Lightwave 8.01 versions??

No, William, you'll have to wait for NewTek to roll this into a VT[4] update.

Marvin Miller
01-20-2005, 09:21 AM

Sjon

Hi Sjon-You found the secret toolset! ;) (Actually, it was a typing mistake and I'll get this fixed as soon as I can.) It should say Right Click and Drag.

peteb
01-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Wow now I know where Newteks secret labs are, under the Alamo.
Completely off subject but I went to San Antonio last year on a road trip through the US and I have to say out of all the places we visted it was one of the best, the river walk just looked amazing at night.

Anyway back on subject, can someone sort out the European site because I still haven't managed to get my download :(

BeeVee
01-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Thousands of others have Pete. Try clearing your cache and cookies, or use a better browser, like Firefox?

B
PS. When you were telling us that you weren't able to download the update earlier, there was no way for me to be able to tell whether you were talking about NewTek Europe or NewTek US - it's good to mention details like that, or to use the location field of your profile... :)

Original1
01-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Was there an addendum to the documentation for the 8.2 update or will this be rolled into a new manual pdf?

BeeVee
01-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Yes, have a look at our downloads page in the documentation section... :)

B

peteb
01-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks Beevee I'll try that and see if I get success.

chris.p
01-21-2005, 09:46 AM
HI there,

I too can't seem to download- I have even contacted Newtek Europe suport via email but got no reply- this was 3 days ago :(

I have tried the tips above, delete cache/cookies, but still doesn't work- and also tried 3 browsers (IE, Safari, and Camino)- still no go. I'm sitting behind a firewall if that makes a difference? I don't know.

Its odd, it takes all my details, validates my info, and gets to the screen

"Downloading LightWave [8] version 8.2 update...
You can close this window once the download is completed"

But nothing downloads. I had this problem with the last update- but as we had only just bought Lightwave when I heard that 8.2 was being released soon, we thought it best to wait until it was out to try and download again or find out why we cant get it.... sadly its the latter!

Please feel free to contact me for our registration details - I just want the update to work!

Thanks,

Chris

BeeVee
01-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Chris,

I'm sorry, we were having no end of problems with our email three days ago (which was when we were serving up the update incredibly slowly because everyone was chewing on our limited bandwidth. I will have replied immediately, but I did get some strange "your mail could not be delivered" messages, which I discounted, that now seems to have been an unwise decision... :)

Try the following things:

1. Make sure that you don't have Stuffit or Winzip set to open downloads automatically, instead of downloading files to your desktop, this will not work because of the way we've had to serve the update.

2. Clear your browser's cache and cookies, and history as well.

3. Try a different browser. I've used IE and Firefox successfully on about a dozen machines since the start of the week, and people have been reporting success with Opera too.

B

Smiling Otis
01-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Hello one and all,

I downloaded the upgrade from 8 to 8.2. Loaded it just fine. I went to work in the new version and it says that it is the Discovery Edition and it would not let me save what I was doing (I had more than 400 points). I am just learning how to use the software so I am figuring that I did something stupid while upgrading. I am a registered using by the way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kurtis
01-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Smiling Otis,

May be a possibility that the upgrade did not go to the correct folder, or that the "license.key" file has been corrupted. Try checking to make sure you don't now have two LightWave [8] folders on your hard drive, and try re-entering your Permanent License Key.

Smiling Otis
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Smiling Otis,

May be a possibility that the upgrade did not go to the correct folder, or that the "license.key" file has been corrupted. Try checking to make sure you don't now have two LightWave [8] folders on your hard drive, and try re-entering your Permanent License Key.

I re-entered ny liscense key and that did the trick. Thanks for your help!

SO

robar3d
01-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I've no problem downloading Mac verison of LW 8.2 update.

The program is so far, so good.

chris.p
01-24-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the help- I eventually downloaded the update on a windows PC- I really couldn't get the download working on the Mac, despite trying all the above.

It installed fine, so I'm happy now!

Cheers,

Chris