PDA

View Full Version : DVD creation = flicker problem

Paul_Boland
01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi.

I just got myself a new PC with a DVD burner. Today I burned my 3D shorts onto a DVD. The software that shipped with the computer is Sonic MyDVD Lite 5. While creating the menu, it said that I could add a background image of my own if I wanted, but to make sure that it was softly blurred as sharp edges would flicker on the telly. Well, I was using one of the backgrounds that came with the software so it didn't bother me.

Anyway, I burned the disc, stuck it into my DVD player and saw my 3D movies on television. I was delighted :D. However, while the menu was fine, the movies themselves, where there were sharp edges, there was a flicker :(. I could still watch the movies, but the flicker was annoying.

I take it that it is a problem with the Sonic encoding software and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for software for DVD creation that would allow me to burn my 3D creations onto DVD without this flicker problem?

Thanks.

robewil
01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I heartily recommend DVD-Lab or DVD-Lab Pro from Mediachance.com (http://www.mediachance.com) . You can get them bundled with the TMPGEnc MPEG-2 and AC-3 encoder, which is among the best encoders out there. DVD-Lab is extremely straight-forward, and quite powerful as an intermediate authoring program. DVD-Lab Pro is very comprehensive and holds its own against other products that are much more expensive.

DVD-Lab with the encoder is $128.00.
DVD-Lab Pro with the encoder is $228.00.

Qslugs
01-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Possibly a field rendering issue. What video system are you using and what field dominance are you rendering with?

trick
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
It has nothing to do with fieldrendering and nothing to do with your burning software.

Just add a vertical directional blur of 0.6 to 0.8 pixels to your final output and your flicker problems on thin lines or small details are gone. AE and DF have such a filter, don't know about Premiere...

These kind of problems show up when you have a 1-pixel (or less by Antialiasing) high detail that is visible in one field and not in the other. By blurring you force this detail to be visible in both fields. I only render to fields when I need better motion blur, but in avoiding flicker problems it does not help much.

Watch out for software (like Sorenson Squeeze) that makes standard use of a de-interlacing filter when importing PAL or NTSC compliant frames or videofiles. When importing a non-interlaced rendered videofile it actually throws away half of your input. When exporting to DVD compliant MPEG2 the output WILL BE interlaced. Always switch off any automatic de-interlacing filters !!!

Paul_Boland
01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the advice. I didn't quite understand all of it, but I understood most of it. I will take it on board and see how it fairs out. Also, thanks for the link to the software package above. It seems to be a very advanced DVD creation tool and I may very well invest in a copy of it.

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice :).