PDA

View Full Version : metallic logo too dull without smoothing

3dgirl
04-14-2003, 06:07 PM
hi!

i am trying to make a metallic shiny logo with the reflections of people shapes in it (after not having used LW for ages!).

i can get the chrome-like effect fine as long as i have smoothing turned on, but the logo doesn't look very good with smoothing turned on- and when i switch it off the chromy effect isn't nearly as nice and it all looks a bit flat (refer picture).

also, when i add a reflection map of my people (these are mostly silhouetted and quite dark), it ends up looking really dull, half the time it just makes the front face of the text look dark, you can't even make out what it's reflecting.

i'm probably missing something with lights and refractions and things, but can't remember what i need! It looks alright on the sides of the letters where they are reflecting themselves, but the front face looks so dull- help!

thanks, anna

3dgirl
04-14-2003, 06:25 PM
- also, even when rendering with extreme antialiasing i get slightly jagged edges on some of my letters (refer bottom picture)....anyone know why this is?

Danner
04-15-2003, 11:49 PM
think of a reflection map as a large image wrapped around an invisible sphere not visible by the camera. the face of your text, being flat, reflects a very small area of that sphere. There are two work arounds.
One is to actually use a sphere that is unseen by the camera but seen in reflections and mapping your reflection map with the image repeated many times to make the reflections more detailed.
Another thing that might help is to add bump mapping, that way the reflective surface is not so flat and will -see- more of the reflection map.

Antialias can be tough on high contrast areas. Two possible solutions also, but none too pretty.
Use some bloom to have the bright areas become a little softer.
Or render at a higher resolution with LOW antialias and resize image down, or NO antialias, and do a 2 pixel blur in PS and resize the image down. In the end your render time will be less than using High antialias and it will look better.

SplineGod
04-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Use gradient set to incidence in the reflection channel to really increase the reflectivity at high incidence angles.
Map your image onto a sphere the encompasses your logo.
Set the sphere to be unseen by camera and give it a high luminosity value. Heres an example of what I mean. This took about 10 minutes to setup.
http://www.splinegod.com/examples/logo.jpg
Heres (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/logo.zip) a zip file containing the scene and objects and their settings.

3dgirl
04-16-2003, 06:33 PM
thank you both so much for your replies (was beginning to think i wasn't going to get any!)- will go and have a play now- so good to get these tips- especially when you're on a tight schedule and haven't got ages to experiment or read through screeds of tutorials!

SplineGod
04-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey 3dgirl,
Do you belong to the Kiwavers group there in NZ?
Kevin Phillips runs it. Nice bunch of LW people there.
Im going to be there in August for the World Wide Community Tour ( www.learningstop.com). My wife is a kiwi from Hastings. Shes over for her grandfathers funeral. His name was Tori Reid and played for the All Blacks back in the 1940s. Were you able to download the zip?

handron
04-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Larry this is something that you do with lights that I don't quite understand. I've seen you use it before and with this "Logo" render. What is the purpose of putting two lights in the same spot facing opposite directions? In your scene the lights aren't even in front of the "logo" yet it still lights the front face? :confused: What's the reason for facing lights in opposite directions Boss? I know it has something to with with back lighting. On another scene I saw you put the two lights out in front of a sphere and somehow it back lit the sphere though the two opposite facing lights were in front of the object. Please enlighten me o' wise one.:)

SplineGod
04-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by handron
Larry this is something that you do with lights that I don't quite understand. I've seen you use it before and with this "Logo" render. What is the purpose of putting two lights in the same spot facing opposite directions? In your scene the lights aren't even in front of the "logo" yet it still lights the front face? :confused: What's the reason for facing lights in opposite directions Boss? I know it has something to with with back lighting. On another scene I saw you put the two lights out in front of a sphere and somehow it back lit the sphere though the two opposite facing lights were in front of the object. Please enlighten me o' wise one.:)
The lights are distant lights. With distant lights the light doesnt come from the light but from the direction indicated by the light. The Light comes from that way in parallel rays much like sunlight.
So the one light is a key light with shadows and all that. The other is a full light with no shadows. Its purpose is to make sure that the back of the object doesnt fade away into darkness by creating a silhouette on the surface. This helps remove the logo from the background. Does that make sense?

handron
04-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Got it thanks!:) I knew that with distant lights the light was parallel. However, I also thought that the parallel light started at the position of the light. Thanks for the new tip.:D Some things just don't stand out very well in the manual.

3dgirl
04-21-2003, 05:01 PM
hi larry- yes i am part of the kiwavers group (though i haven't been in ages! sorry kevin!)- went to see you give a talk to us when you came here a couple of years ago. Funny that your wife is from hastings- I'm from Napier originally (right next to hastings)!

yes i could download the zip fine- thank you- i now have a nice shiny logo! Yeah i was wondering about the lights too- good to know these things!

SplineGod
04-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 3dgirl
hi larry- yes i am part of the kiwavers group (though i haven't been in ages! sorry kevin!)- went to see you give a talk to us when you came here a couple of years ago. Funny that your wife is from hastings- I'm from Napier originally (right next to hastings)!

yes i could download the zip fine- thank you- i now have a nice shiny logo! Yeah i was wondering about the lights too- good to know these things!
Im going to be out in August. Newteks World Wide Community Tour is going to be in New Zealand and Australia in August.
Lee is giving the Kiwavers group a nice group rate. I would contact Kevin who is heading that part up.
Check out www.learnlightwave.com

3dgirl
04-22-2003, 03:36 PM
will do!