PDA

View Full Version : Expression regression

Wopmay
01-18-2005, 02:15 AM
Trying to get a handle on Expressions and I give up. Below is a simplification of my first expression ever, as placed in the Expressions tab of the Graph Editor. The top one works. The bottom one is "not valid". Is there something really obvious here I'm missing? I've done all the tutorials and read as much as I can about Expressions and still I'm in the dark. Is anyone willing to take pity on me?

Thanks,
Wopmay

[CarNull_Fiat2.PositionZ] * 99

[CarNull_Fiat2.PositionZ] * 100

evenflcw
01-18-2005, 02:29 AM
None of them should work because the syntax is wrong. You have two choices...

It should be either

[CarNull_Fiat2.Position.Z]

or

CarNull_Fiat2.pos(Time).z

Wopmay
01-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks, but I goofed up so I'm still regressed.

Sorry, I should have copied and pasted. I left out the "." before the Z in my examples.

Wopmay

evenflcw
01-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Hehe. Sorry.

So thing just don't work then?

Maybe you could attach the scene file so me or someone else could have a closer look at it? If you don't care to share objects just replace them with nulls.

Wopmay
01-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Thank you so much. The scene is too complicated but I will extract the bit I'm trying to figure out and attach it as soon as I can. I'm trying to make a wheel spin. The expression would simply translate the wheel's distance from 0,0,0 into the number of degrees of pitch the wheel should be rotated at that position. (Having already calculated that 1 degree of rotation equals 5.56 mm of distance on this particular wheel.)

Perhaps I'm trying to mix two different values (mm + degrees) and LW doesn't like it. But that doesn't explain why mutiplying a channel by 99 is valid and multiplying it by 100 is not. I must be missing something rather basic, no?

Thanks!
Wopmay