PDA

View Full Version : I know a stupid question (about open GL)

Jamel
01-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Im sorry I know this question is pretty dumb seeing how i had LW for about 10 months. Here goes what is Open GL and how do I access it ? I know it has to do with video cards.

p.s not sure if this has any thing to do with it but i bought this computer same time i bought lw and i am using the defult video card will that effect any thing open gl related.

Lottmedia
01-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Not exactly an expert or anything but... kinda a complex/simple question. Easy answer (about the only one I can give you, haven't programmed in years) is OGL is just a rendering language for your video card. You can activate OGL options in LW's display properties si that you can see reflections and transparency in the layout window before rendering. Basically it just means that if your video card is fast enough it can do some of the work for you. There are probably some options within your video card that can effect performance. Personally I've noticed that open GL (at least for LW) is better on Nvidia cards than ATI but I'm sure someone will argue that with me (same as Mac Vs. PC, religious discussions can be so tedious)
Most graphics apps now take advantage of OGL in some respect o speed up their operation, After Effects, Combustion and the like, not to mention 3D apps. I believe there are even some freeware 3D apps that are essentially written entirely in Open GL. Hope that helps, Oh, what video card do you have? That'll tell you a lot about what you can do with Open GL.

J-Rod

mattclary
01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
OpenGL = Open Graphics Language. It's just an API (application programming interface) used to display information on your monitor. It's "comparable" to DirectX in that they do basically the same thing, but have different capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. OpenGL has long been the standard display tecnology for high end 3D apps. LightWave uses OpenGL, however, it's implementation is not that good and it's kind of slow.

http://opengl.org/about/overview.html

Scott Gammans
01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
LightWave uses OpenGL, however, it's implementation is not that good and it's kind of slow.

http://opengl.org/about/overview.html
Wait a minute. Are you saying that Newtek's implementation of OpenGL is not that good, or that Windows XP and Mac OS X's implementation of OpenGL is not that good? Because I keep hearing from Newtek apologists that it is the latter, and that there is nothing which can be done to improve OpenGL performance until the underlying O/S fixes some issues.

mattclary
01-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I've never heard anyone blame Windows.

There are plenty of apps on the market that have better OpenGl performance than LightWave, so obviously, it's not a Windows issue. I love Newtek and LightWave (just look at my avatar), but this is a glaring shortcoming that I wish they would resolve.