PDA

View Full Version : Pose Library Managers

UnCommonGrafx
01-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm preparing for a project that's coming up and really want to do most of it in LW, 3D-wise. The pose library capabilities really shine in MB (motionbuilder). They could shine in LW, too, with just a bit o'polish.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out some of the systems that are available to us for pose library useage in LW. I found three that I would LOVE to use but their incompleteness is maddening. :confused:
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/jbd/web/eng_scripts.html
Jacobo really has a great tool. It ONLY NEEDS a MIRROR function. This one worked flawlessly. It even made me want to open excel and figure out how to reverse everything for the 'other' side of a pose.
http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/#pose
Colin really has something here. It's just not complete. The files that is saves are in a very peculiar format and only seems to include the location of the object; no rotation and no scale.
But, man, is this a glimpse of WHAT COULD BE!!! He has Sliders applied to the applique of the pose; he has mirroring for Left-to-Right (or vice versa); and, just like Jacobo's tool, you can save these poses to disk. This one really could be used to great joy in its 1.0 state to lots of wanting animators.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dpont/plugins/BoneSetManager_Lscript.htm
Denis has created a great tool for creating and managing poses that seems to have been around for a LONG time. An oldie but a goodie.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dpont/plugins/BoneSetManager_Manual/BoneSetManager_Manual.htm
In looking at the manual, I was awe-struck at its completeness!! {I had this big "bicth&moan" dance going that it didn't have a 'mirror' function. Thank goodness I read LWese. In LWese, it's called "inverse". ;)}
If only it were modal... this is where the "bicth&moan" dance would come in: you have to stop your flow to use it as you can't animate and save poses on the go; it pops up a panel that has to be dealt with before moving on.

If they were combined or completed into one Pose Library Manager, we could have "grass is greener on the other side" tools, too.

:o

{You'll see this elsewhere. ;)}

ColinCohen
01-17-2005, 08:35 AM
The files that is saves are in a very peculiar format and only seems to include the location of the object; no rotation and no scale.

Actually, the files are saved in simple text format; and it does save the rotation of the object, but that's all it saves. It was designed for posing bones, and at least for my work, bone poses only affect rotational channels.

UnCommonGrafx
01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Ahh, so you are translating that data to degrees from radians? The numbers looked 'big' for rotation of the radian form.

Cool. It'll work for me, too, once I understand a few more things.

Colin, what's necessary for me to select to get this to work right everytime? Is it a matter of all the bones being connected? I got it to work as I expected the first few times but then couldn't repeat it. Scenario: When I select a group of bones, it only remembers the first of the group selcted. Or, at least that's all it puts in the files.
The motion I get from this tool is really NICE. Things don't 'float' through the motion. Again, you make great tools. Thanks.

ColinCohen
01-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Ah, I see now what your confusion was. Yes, the rotations are stored in radians, because this is how LW uses them internally. I could easily save the file in degrees, it just never occured to me that someone would want to manually edit them.

Perhaps you found a bug. It should save every bone selected. Maybe you could send me an example.

UnCommonGrafx
01-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Here is the scenario I amworking with:
Using the T4D or acs4 skeletal structure, what should one select to get the entire armchain , e.g., to 'go along for the ride'?
I tried all the bones along the arm. Before I understood how to look at the files, I was perplexed as to why it was only twisting the wrist instead of placing the whole arm into place... The files only showed one object listed.
Later, as I was inspecting files to see how to get them to work, I was able to get more than one object listed in the file. Still, though, I couldn't get it back into the pose.
I didn't notice any reference to this but it seems you can't be in autokey mode when scrubbing the load panels. {I LOVE THE LOAD PANELS. Once I get this working for me, this is going to be a favorite, to say the least!} Could this be part of the inconsistencies I'm having...?

ColinCohen
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
One of the problems of writing LW plugins is that there is so many way of doing things. It's difficult to account for all possibilities.

I don't use t4d or acs4, so it's possible that there's some kind of problem using my plugin with them. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing this without buying these plugins, which I don't really want to do.

Are you absolutely sure that you had all the bones selected when running the plugin? Please confirm this in the Scene or Graph Editor.

There may be a problem with AutoKey on; as I despise this "feature," I always leave it off. But this is something I can at least test.

UnCommonGrafx
01-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Fair enough, Colin. And most understood. chuckle...

I'll see if I can figure it out. Barring that, I will muster an example for you.
Thanks. Enjoy the day.

ColinCohen
01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
You too.

I will probably makes some updates to this plugin sometime during year, so any bug finds will be appreciated.

Actually, one of the reasons I released my plugins, all of which I use internally, is to fete out problems with them. So, feedback from users like you is important to me.