PDA

View Full Version : cross platform license

byronpetch
01-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi All,

Can anyone please clarify the LW licensing for me please. I purchased a copy of lightwave 7 which I have now upgraded to 8 via download.

The Lightwave 7 discs that were shipped to me contain a version for Windows and a version for Mac. When I went through the original (rather complicated) registration process im sure I was asked if I wanted to register the dongle for Mac, Windows or both. I chose Mac.

My question is if I wanted to legally use the software on both my Mac and Windows machine is it simply a case of registering my intent or do I need to pay for a second license/dongle?

Thanks

J Petch

Safe Harbor
01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Edited by Moderator (Kurtis)

There is a cross-platform upgrade available, if you do not have a DUO dongle, or if you are upgrading from one of the older platforms, such as Sun or Amiga. You will need to purchase this upgrade.

If you already have a DUO dongle, there is no need for you to purchase a cross platform upgrade. You only need to contact Customer Service for your area, and obtain a new Permanent License Key.

Just remember that your copy of LightWave will only fully function on whatever machine the dongle is attached to at that time.

byronpetch
01-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Thanks for that,

That is as I thought, However someone on a different forum has said I can get a duo dongle Win Mac. Perhaps I need to buy another license to get that though. I suppose the duo dongle still only lets you use one licence at a time. Think I need to contact Newtek.

Thanks again

Matt

Whit
01-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Absolutely, call Newtek customer service at (1-800-862-7837 in North America, +1-210-370-8000 outside the USA) and ask them your question directly.

--Whit

Qexit
01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Think I need to contact Newtek. As you are in the UK, you would need to contact Newtek Europe. However, it would probably be better to contact the company who supplied your upgrade as they should be able to explain everything.

I purchased a copy of lightwave 7 which I have now upgraded to 8 via download.

How did you manage that ? The LW8 upgrade is supplied on a set of 4 CDs that contain both Mac and PC versions of the software and a large bundle of free content and third party demos.

I get all my Newtek products and upgrades from Onevideo.net :

http://www.oneanimation.net/products.asp?manufacturer=25

They are very helpful when it comes to helping out with questions about upgrading, dongles and such....and it's cheaper than calling France
:)

My understanding of the USB Dual Dongle licensing arrangement is that you can install LW on a single PC and a single Mac and use the dongle in either machine, though I think you will need a separate license key file for each platform. As the license key is tied to your dongle, you can only ever use it on one machine at a time so there is not requirement to have a separate license for each platform unless you want to be able to use it on both machines at the same time.

bloontz
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
It is likely that you already have a duo dongle, I got one with my Lightwave 7 purchase and it only included the Mac install so I would suspect that since you have both Mac and Windows installs that you indeed have a duo. While you are only permitted to run on one machine at a time with a single dongle you only need to register for the other paltform to enable a duo dongle for cross platform use. Thst can be done on Newteks site under Customer Care/Registration.

byronpetch
01-17-2005, 09:18 AM
You know your right, im getting confused. I don't know why I thought I downloaded it. Think I must have downloaded an update recently though. Im looking at my blue lightwave 8 box now, as you say containing four disks.

Anyway its looking like I can legally use LW on both machines without any extra expense. Thanks for that.

J Petch.

bloontz
01-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Kevin is correct in that you need different license files for each platform.

BeeVee
01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi ByronPetch,

Like I said on the 3D World forum, you merely need to register your LW8 with the Product Lock ID that the PC gives you (at http://www.newtek-europe.com/register.htm) and we'll send you out an email with a permanent license.key file for the PC.

B

Kurtis
01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
byronpetch,

BeeVee is correct. You are allowed to install LightWave on both a Mac and a PC, as long as you have a DUO dongle. There is absolutely no extra charge for this, but you do need to contact Customer Service, because PC and Mac need different Permanent License Keys.

Just remember that LightWave will only fully function on whatever computer the dongle is attached to at the time. So, if you want to go back and forth between Mac and PC, you will need to move the dongle back and forth.

Wade
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey safe harbor dude,

-PM-

WADE.