PDA

View Full Version : Bone Twist Broken in 8.01??

badllarma
01-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Hi all I'm working on alineing a charaters pitch in the legs to make life easyer to animate.

So I convert skelegons to bones and click on the bone and rotate to see how far out it is then I Setup > Bone twist set the pitch alinement

Once I've set the alignment up I go to modify > rotate and the alignment still does not seen to align to the bone twist setup is bone twist broken???

spec24
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Bone twist only rotates the bank, which of course is the last child in the chain (heading, pitch, bank) so nothing else moves. I'm not really sure what the usefulness is of this tool except maybe with expressions.

Ramon
01-17-2005, 11:24 AM
No, spec, check this out. It "should" work like this to align your bone's pitch:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/Bonetwist2.mov
Andy has a point but, Andy you know that in order for any bone tool to take effect, you have to spacebar out of it. You can't just switch to another tool
That said, twist is not working in my 8.01 either. I no longer have the 8.0 version installed but, I know that bone twist was working then. Now when the tool is employeed, the yellow bank handle dosen't want to move at all!!! In case you are wondering, I turned IK and deformation off. Still no go with twist.

badllarma
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
"Andy you know that in order for any bone tool to take effect, you have to spacebar out of it. You can't just switch to another tool "

Well cheers for that Ramon did not know that I've just been choosing a different tool :rolleyes:
Hopefully this will be one of the things sorted out in 8.2 :)

Ended up playing around with the rotate pivot point, (trial and error method) until I got things lined up ready for animating then save out the rig. Ready to import it into the new scene which seem to have kept all the rotate settings correctly.

Ramon
01-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Agreed, a fix is needed for 8.2. Glad to hear your rig has the proper rotations now.
Here is another couple of threads covering issues with bone tools:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=23577&page=1&pp=15&highlight=infinity
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=243000#post243000

spec24
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ramon]No, spec, check this out. It "should" work like this to align your bone's pitch:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/Bonetwist2.mov
Andy has a point but, Andy you know that in order for any bone tool to take effect, you have to spacebar out of it. You can't just switch to another tool
That said, twist is not working in my 8.01 either. I no longer have the 8.0 version installed but, I know that bone twist was working then. Now when the tool is employeed, the yellow bank handle dosen't want to move at all!!! In case you are wondering, I turned IK and deformation off. Still no go with twist.[/QUOTE

You're right - well, at least that's what the video shows :) The manual says it rotates the bank - and since it never worked I guess I just assumed :) So I went back into LW and tried it - it didn't twist the bone I wanted it to, it twisted the child bone! :eek: How intuitive.

SplineGod
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
The only issues Ive seen with the bone tools have been on the Mac. Ive heard that those have been worked on or are being worked on. :)

Iitially the Twist tool works much like the bank handles do in Modeler. This means that since Lightwaves coord system is PARENT based (ie the orientation of the child depends on its parents orientation) rotating the bank handle on the parent will affect teh childs orientation. In layout this is also true. You can also change the Coord system to LOCAL and then use the twist tool to change the pitch on THAT bone instead of the childs. Once youre done make sure you go back to parent coords mode AND hit shift + p (record pivot rotation).

I use these tools (on the PC) all the time with very little problems.

The DVD I have over at KURV spends almost 3 hours going thru these tools. :)

Ramon
01-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Larry's correct (as if that's needed to be said). I neglected to mention that it's effect is on the child bone. :)