DanH
01-16-2005, 08:24 AM
I need to make a DVD containing the following:
Videos:
90 minute memorial service
5 minute photo montage
Files:
385 MB of still photos that can be accessed via the viewers PC
I know that this exceeds the quantity of material that can fit on a DVD in high quality. Therefore, I would like to make the photo montage to be the highest quality and the memorial service to have more compression. Is this possible with Ulead DVD Workshop SE? I also have Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 and Sony DVD Architect 2--would either of these do it if Ulead can't? Thank You, Dan.

mgrusin
01-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't use DVDWS, but my envelope* says you can do this (95 minutes video, 256Kbps AC3 audio, 385MB extra files) at about 5700Kbps, which from experience with TMPGEnc, really isn't bad quality, especially when you use VBR (5700 just has to be the average rate, complex sections can be higher).

I don't know if DVDWS includes a "menu-type" slideshow feature (where slides are stored as menus, which only take one frame), but using that would save you 5 minutes of full video. Then again, slideshows without motion will squeeze down a lot with MPEG anyway.

I don't like using less than 5000 for clients (and you're not supposed to use over 7000 for compatibility), but I do think 5700 is quite acceptable.

Sorry for your loss if this is a personal project. I made a similar DVD for my Grandma last year.

-MG.

*Use my math skills at your own risk. :p

DanH
01-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the response. I will give it a try and see how it works out. Dan.