PDA

View Full Version : Advanced and convincing dynamics

DoF
01-15-2005, 06:36 AM
The new Audi A6 ad 'Letters' now airing in the UK utilises some pretty advanced and convincing dynamics systems. The spot shows the car deconstructing into thousands of abstract component parts which then travel from one end of the city to the other. These elements become recognisable as letters, which go on to spell out the famous Audi strapline: ‘Vorsprung Durch Technik’. Now, that doesn't sound too difficult, does it? Until you see the ad and realise that the letters only form the words in passing through a completely convincing trajectory of spinning and colliding. How would you mimic this dynamic effect in LW? The first uploaded .lws that successfully replicates this - (N.B: remember to spin and bounce all the elements convincingly) wins an Audi A6. Just kidding. See the movie here:

http://www.davidreviews.com/playmovie.asp?ID=2005011104
&
http://www.audi.co.uk/promos/c6_launch/flash_hi.html

prospector
01-15-2005, 09:08 AM
OK here's my theory..
After bringing the video into the VT for deconstruction, it looks like the enitial breakup is just a fade from 1 object (car) into another (pile of letters (objects)) that were made in modeler in shape of the car. The dissolve between happens over 2 frames, Then the pile of letters are exploded with Hard FX and channeled towards camera thru 'dissolved' walls (unseen) to look like there are much more parts than there really are,The actual letter forming is done by (and I like the teknique) thru morphing,as the letters come from thier respective pieces and morph into a letter being best seen in the DURCH bounce,in the letters D and C.
So this was a composition with the letter bouncing done on just the few objects and all other being done with PFX. The car coming back is just a reverse playing of another car being hit with hard FX.

Where's my car? :D

Dodgy
01-15-2005, 09:23 AM
I'd go with pretty much every thing the Prosp said, except they probably keyframed letter bits rather than morphing, for the letters forming as this would be far easier to get right quickly (I did this myself years ago) and they probably just used particles and something like FXlinker for the letters flying around.

Since the pieces are opaque, you can cheat like a basket and have a fully formed car underneath and juist have the pieces sink in (of course you'd boolean the pieces out of the car to get the close enough shape, but with the can underneath it'd be perfect)