PDA

View Full Version : LW8's life-cycle?

doimus
01-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Hello,

I had a discussion some time ago with a person interested in Lightwave who asked about LW's update / new version cycle, ie. for how long current versions stay on the market...

I found myself not knowing what to say, since I guess Newtek isn' punching out new versions every year like some other bloodsucking companies :D Also, LW7 was around for 3 years or more wich IS a long period for a version to stay out (and that's not necessarily a bad thing - I started out with LW recently and I still use 7.5).

So I believe Newtek's policy is to have a new x.0 version every two years or so, with free x.x updates inbetween. And that would make ver. [8] current for quite some time, at least until they run out of update incremental numbers ;) , or they come out with some revolutionary development that would require a new full-number version.

Am I right on this one? Any official standpoints on it?

Anyway, in that conversation I had, longevity of the update-cycle was considered a plus, at least from the financial POV...

maxxwv
01-15-2005, 07:10 AM
The upgrade from 7 to 8 is probably a bad one to consider when discussing update cycles - Newtek had quite a few personnel changes during that period. Basically, they're really good with releasing free incremental updates that often other companies would consider full point releases. The 8.2 update is looking to be a fairly major update for a point release, as was - for instance - 5.6, 6.5, and 7.5. With regard to future updates, the new dev team has stated repeatedly that they're dedicated to more regular interim updates, and so far their track record has been (IMO) quite good.

Lewis
01-15-2005, 07:28 AM
As maxxwv already mentioned 7.5 to 8-0 as a loong period but not one you should count 'coz those problems they had. But since 8.0 is out there will be more frequent updates than before as NT said. Some strict rules when and how much will update be - NOPE i think no company can guarante that :).

8.2 is just around corner and if everything goes well it should be here till end of January (as NT guys said) and it's FREE upgrade but have soem new major features added so it's not just a patch/bug fix.

DarkLight
01-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Another thing to consider is that LW8 was released quite a while back and they are now preparing the 8.2 update. I would expect another could of point upgrades before 9.0 so i think it will be a while beforewe are expected to pay for the next upgrade.

DigiLusionist
01-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I feel moved enough to say that the level of communication in the past month has been very good.

I am eagerly looking forward to the update, and to subsequent revs of LW. I am a diehard professional user. I want the core code to be unified, etc. which will take time. It is SOOOO much easier to be patient and wholeheartedly committed to LW when product development information is communicated often. Even if what's communicated is "Still working on it, folks."

The news updates and videos every so often have gone a long way to instilling calm and trust in this user. I am very pleased with the amount of product information disseminated thus far...