PDA

View Full Version : particle question

pdrake
01-13-2005, 09:12 PM
can anyone help on this?

i'm making an animation of particulate matter flying down an air duct and passing through a filter.

how can i make the particles not stick to the frame of the filter?

and what's the best way to speed up the rendering?

using hypervoxels on the particles, sprite mode.

thanks.

Hoopti
01-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I would create two sets of particle emitters. The first I would group with the collision object, and set the collision object to adhere. The second I would put in its own group and it should pass through the filter.

Not sure if my terminology is correct, but its late. Hope this approach helps.

Hoop

evenflcw
01-14-2005, 11:32 PM
If you don't want them to stick then just make the frame a separate collision object with it's own settings. With bounce power set at 100% it is my experience that particles will only comfortable glide along the surface upon impact. However, the direction in which they will glide is dependent on their angle of impact. So if they crash absolutely head on (perpendicular to the frames surface normals), they won't glide at all. There has to be either some angle to the impact or angle to the surface. So either add some explosion/vibration to the emitter, or better yet wind, OR slant the surfaces of the frame slightly to make sure particles will glide in the correct direction.

I don't think you can go faster than sprite mode. Although you might try decreasing the number of slices (I think they're called) or replacing the procedurals with your an image. I wouldn't imagine it would save alot of time though, but who knows.

pdrake
01-15-2005, 12:39 AM
thanks alot for the responses.

i've since reworked the scene so there is about 15000 less polys and am now using a partigon emitter. no more hypervoxels.

lw still wants to render it in 12 minutes/frame, but now i can use fprime and get a great frame out in about 1.5mins. with dust particles (with a wicked texture map that took me an hour to make).

i'm sure the client will be happy.

i would like it to look better, but i'm not paying myself. :p

pdrake
01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
oh, and i was going on about 4 out of 48 hours of sleep when i couldn't remember how to make the frame a collision object.

thanks again.