PDA

View Full Version : g4 against g5 for rendering [comments?]

cresshead
01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
just been looking thru http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/bprint.cgi
and it looks as though a G5 is about 10-15% faster than a g4 chip of a similar mhz

would you say was a fair judgment?...i'm looking at buying a mac [my first] so i'm quite tempted by the mini mac g4 as it's really cheap and would give a not too disimalar render times when looking against a imac g5

if there's anyone out there who has or who has had a g4 based lightwave setup then upgraded to a g5 based set up i'd like to hear back...obviously i'm looking into a single chip based system not a dual as i want to keep the cost down on my first mac to see if i like it or not..so i'm looking at mac mini, emac and the imac g5's...

steve g

[email protected]

Beamtracer
01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
The G5 towers are obviously going to be better machines than the entry level mini-Mac. Better graphics cards (which make modeling easier). More expandable for RAM etc. A G5 is going to be a much more pleasurable machine to work with than a mini-Mac. I'm very happy with my dual processor G5.

But, as you say, you're looking for an entry level machine. I'm sure the mini-Mac would be a decent start. The rendering speed would be quite useful. You can always add another one to the stack later (though the hardest part would be getting your head around ScreamerNet.

eblu
01-13-2005, 11:01 PM
cresshead,
i am currently using a g4 at home. the only thing making it tolerable in 3d(in my humble opinion) was that i got the geforce 4ti with it. I find long render times not as bad as slow interfaces. and since the mini is an entry level cpu, with what amounts to a laptop graphics chipset, its probably:
not upgradeble,
and relatively weak (compared to whats available on desktops now, and what will be available in the not-too-distant future)

I'd be wary of that chink in its armor. if you want to use it as your main hack, you'll probably feel forced to upgrade much sooner than you might with a desktop.

also, don't expect the mini to be exactly the same as blano's g4 stats. the little guy can't possibly have the same architecture that g4 desktops had, and that will in all likelihood affect their render speeds.

as a main machine I'd use a desktop, for the same reason I picked a desktop over a laptop, flexibility vs size. I'd rather have the flexibility.

ingo
01-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Me thinks you should just wait until its released and see how fast the graphicchip is. The only other problem i see is that you can't have more than one gig RAM. I still work on an old G4 450 and although rendertimes are slow its still workable, so i too think of buying one mini that replaces my old G4, in the end its cheaper than using an upgrade card that may bring other problems.

3dworks
01-14-2005, 03:48 AM
just been looking thru http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/bprint.cgi
and it looks as though a G5 is about 10-15% faster than a g4 chip of a similar mhz

would you say was a fair judgment?...i'm looking at buying a mac [my first] so i'm quite tempted by the mini mac g4 as it's really cheap and would give a not too disimalar render times when looking against a imac g5

if there's anyone out there who has or who has had a g4 based lightwave setup then upgraded to a g5 based set up i'd like to hear back...obviously i'm looking into a single chip based system not a dual as i want to keep the cost down on my first mac to see if i like it or not..so i'm looking at mac mini, emac and the imac g5's...

steve g

[email protected]

steve, i've used LW on both simple G4 and fast G5 powermacs. all i can say is that probably using LW seriously with the mini mac you won't get very happy. there is more than one reason for it. the built-in graphics card in the mini mac is good for all kind of 'home apps', but not really great for LW. the disk inside the mini is a 2,5 inch one, means quite a lot slower access times than a desktop sized one. the memory limitation is 1G of RAM, which is probably the minimum to get LW rendered out a high resolution image of fair complexity. add the fact that LW is quite memory hungry and get's unstable on macs if there is not enaugh of it. if ever you like to use fprime, you need a lot of memory too. then you have to put into consideration that the memory bandwidth (the rate of exchange between processor and memory) is of some magnitudes faster inside a G5 powermac, reason why LW runs so much 'snappier' on it. last point, you may not regret to have an expandable mac because probably you'll like to work with osx :-) - the mini mac is expandable only to a very limited degree, one memory slot does not leave a lot of choice (and it has to be serviced by a technician in case you decide to upgrade later).

but, after all, it depends all on what kind of projects you'll do with LW. for fairly simple logo animations it may be ok to use a mini mac... don't try to do any architectural viz with such a setup, you'll be probably frustrated after short time.

my advice: try to get the cheapest powermac G5 new or used - and try to get it with 2G of RAM, you won't regret! OSX is an excellent and very stable system, but it is quite memory hungry - and likes fast hard disks like those built-in the standard powermac G5's. the imac G5 may be a sort of compromise if you want to use a mac not only as a dedicated LW machine.

after all, if you won't stick with the mac you may always resell it - be it a mini mac, be it a G5.

cheers

markus

Captain Obvious
01-14-2005, 04:25 AM
You'll be much happier with, say, a dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5.

Zarathustra
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally had a G4 dual 500.
A couple of years ago i had $$ saved awaiting the new G4 upgrade. When it was released, I thought it was crap so the money I would have spent on a new G4 I used, instead, to get a G4 400 off Ebay, a 1ghz upgrade card for it, a dual 1 ghz upgrade card for the dual 500, and some ram to get eeverything up to at least a gig.
I have since bought a G5 dual 2.5.

My rendering experience has been that the dual 1ghz renders anywhere between 50-100% faster then the 1ghz G4, and the G5 renders at least twice as fast as the dual 1ghz.

The big thing about needing the G5, aside from the faster rendering, was the 8x AGP slot (the G4s had a 2X) and the ability to have up to 8gig of ram (I have 3.5gig in my G5 now and my dual G4 is maxed at 1.5gig).

I would guess that within a year or so I will have to make plans to go all G5 since there's not going to be any new G4 upgrade cards coming down the line. I say that because after that it won't be worth trying to sell them.

The mini could be great for a renderfarm, but I don't want to buy anyting with yesterday's technology, especially if it's supposed to be "new". If it had a G5 in it, I'd try and pick one up sometime later this year. Anyone remember the Cube?