PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 8.2 Update Status

Chuck
01-13-2005, 05:03 PM
The LightWave team is working hard on preparing the 8.2 release, and is in the final stages of testing the update and installers. LightWave marketing is completing the documentation and marketing materials, and coordinating with our international partners to insure that we provide a coordinated worldwide release together when the update is ready.

In the meantime we'll be providing additional videos and information on the features in 8.2, such as the new videos that William "Proton" Vaughan, NewTek's LightWave Evangelist, has just posted.

Here you can see the video and discuss the new "Ghost Mode" onion-skin feature for IK Booster:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32377

And here you can see the video and discuss the "Free Move" option for UVs that lets you move geometry in the UV window without unwelding.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32374

We appreciate your patience as we complete the final preparations for the update!

Matt
01-13-2005, 05:14 PM
No worries Chuck, thanks for the update!

3DBob
01-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the post.....

Just gimme gimme gimme!

theo
01-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the post.....

Just gimme gimme gimme!

In the meantime we could just bake Chuck........ :D

T-Light
01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
In the meantime we could just bake Chuck........

NO
Tis illegal, Chuck is a protected species, like the fox etc. The Chuck is a chum of the forrest (I'm going to get banned here aren't I) still, trust the Chuck, the Chuck is to be followed.

B*gger,
I'm gone,
Bye guys :)

ps Whisky night, if anyone is following.... :cool:

T-Light
01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh b*gger

Just read what I said...

B*gger...

Chuck is a 'SAINT' and I wont have anything said aginst the fellow,

Cummon,I'll take you all...

Nobody...
Ok then,
I'll see you at the next convention :cool:

ps
Thanks for the info Chuck :)

T-Light
01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Feature request.
Merge and Delete Forum posts anyone?

Silkrooster
01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for the update. I don't know how I missed those video's from Proton. I try to make sure I see all of his videos and save them for reference.
Silk

MooseDog
01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
great timing with detailed info.

congrats to you chuck on your decisions and strategy, and to the entire lw team for their work!!

harlan
01-13-2005, 11:20 PM
fanfriggintastic Chuck... lookin good. keep it up!!! :)

pat-lek
01-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Good news! (ouffffff!!!...)

Dodgy
01-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Sooooo close..... I can almost taste it....

Am I a little too obsessed?

Good job I have a support group..

Nemoid
01-14-2005, 06:00 AM
The LightWave team is working hard on preparing the 8.2 release, and is in the final stages of testing the update and installers. LightWave marketing is completing the documentation and marketing materials, and coordinating with our international partners to insure that we provide a coordinated worldwide release together when the update is ready.

In the meantime we'll be providing additional videos and information on the features in 8.2, such as the new videos that William "Proton" Vaughan, NewTek's LightWave Evangelist, has just posted.

Here you can see the video and discuss the new "Ghost Mode" onion-skin feature for IK Booster:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32377

And here you can see the video and discuss the "Free Move" option for UVs that lets you move geometry in the UV window without unwelding.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32374

We appreciate your patience as we complete the final preparations for the update!

:) Great things to hear! thanx Chuck for keeping us updated.

Panikos
01-14-2005, 06:26 AM
I can sense the countdown rollin :D

Exper
01-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Well done... Chuck! :cool:

theo
01-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Well done... Chuck! :cool:

Well.... we prefer to bake Chuck around here at medium rare so well done is not really an option.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Nice. Thank you, Chuck.

Exper
01-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Well.... we prefer to bake Chuck around here at medium rare so well done is not really an option.Gzzz... the random permutation (theo... you know what I'm talking about) produced an error... sorry! :D

Ztreem
01-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info! :D

PeteS
01-15-2005, 09:26 AM
thanks for the update chuck!

w_will
01-15-2005, 09:51 AM
head on over to the 8.2 webpage posted on the newtek site and check out the details. For any of you who are feeling crafty, no the download link does not work yet, but you can log into your account & try ;) maybe you'll get lucky.
Here is the link for those of you who can't find it on your own:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82.html

Matt
01-15-2005, 11:38 AM
must be close now if the webpage is written ready for roll-out! :D

private
01-15-2005, 12:55 PM
must be close now if the webpage is written ready for roll-out! :D

www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82.html

Looks like it was done on the 7th. Here now.

LightWave® [8] Update 8.2 – 01/07/2005
Windows 2000 & XP, Mac OSX 10.3.3

ufo3d
01-15-2005, 01:42 PM
according to the list, we still don't have SSS yet after a long wait :(
When can we have it? G2 is not good enough :confused:

AVT
01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Thats awful, really awful... Still no "delete key" button for sliders... Nothing from list of simple requests that I posted before will be implemented in LW 8.2... Complete flustration... Newtek talks to us but there is no result... :(

ACLOBO
01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we already have a mosaic mode in viper? I hardly use Viper (preferring to use the cool F-Prime), but I did use it a while back and noticed that there was a mosaic mode already. Unless they did something to improve it, seems funny that they would mention it in 8.2.

-Adrian

Chuck
01-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Thats awful, really awful... Still no "delete key" button for sliders... Nothing from list of simple requests that I posted before will be implemented in LW 8.2... Complete flustration... Newtek talks to us but there is no result... :(

You posted a lot of feature requests on the thread for 8.2. At the time of that announcement the feature set for 8.2 was already set and mostly complete, and we were trying to have it ready to release within a few weeks. It would not have been possible to make the additions you and so many others requested on that thread part of the 8.2 release without delaying the release by a huge margin.

Another truth of the matter is that the changes that are in 8.2 also represent features that a great many users have requested, and are a clear demonstration that we do in fact listen when users talk and the result is that we add the features users want and need and we take an innovative approach to providing those requested tools.

Ztreem
01-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we already have a mosaic mode in viper?

Yes! we have, Since 8.01 I think. Quite sad that a feature like that get so much space or attention on their site, That's not really a feature to me. Okey, maybe it's a feature, but a very small one. :(

I was hoping for more updates to the rendering engine, but if they spend three month on the UV update I can understand they didn't have time to update it more than they did. Maybe they have done some things to the code so it's easier for them to integrate things like subpixeldisplacement and sss to the next upgrade.

I think Newtek are doing a good job and think the future is bright. :D

Chuck
01-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we already have a mosaic mode in viper? I hardly use Viper (preferring to use the cool F-Prime), but I did use it a while back and noticed that there was a mosaic mode already. Unless they did something to improve it, seems funny that they would mention it in 8.2.

-Adrian

The mosaic mode was added at 8.0.1 but was not mentioned in the 8.0.1 materials nor had it been documented. Likewise, some of the changes to IK Booster and the DopeTrack date from the 8.0.1 release. With the 8.2 release we are providing information about all additions to the software in 8.0.1 and 8.2. These include the marketing material such as feature lists, and a manual addendum that is in preparation.

Chuck
01-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes! we have, Since 8.01 I think. Quite sad that a feature like that get so much space or attention on their site, That's not really a feature to me. Okey, maybe it's a feature, but a very small one. :(

Well, I'm all puzzled. :confused: The item gets a bare mention. The only way I can think of that we could have given it less space and attention would be not to list or document it at all, and it really does not seem to us to be best for the user or the product to leave a feature out of the feature list and undocumented.

I was hoping for more updates to the rendering engine, but if they spend three month on the UV update I can understand they didn't have time to update it more than they did. Maybe they have done some things to the code so it's easier for them to integrate things like subpixeldisplacement and sss to the next upgrade.

I think Newtek are doing a good job and think the future is bright. :D

Thanks for the kind words. We'll be doing our best to justify your confidence as we move forward with development.

Chuck
01-15-2005, 05:33 PM
www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82.html

Looks like it was done on the 7th. Here now.

LightWave® [8] Update 8.2 – 01/07/2005
Windows 2000 & XP, Mac OSX 10.3.3

That version of the Download page was done on the 7th. The page design and text have changed significantly since then.

GregMalick
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Wow! I can't wait for 8.2! :eek:
Give the development Team our regards -- they are definitely starting to kick *ss!
:D

wacom
01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Well having diffrent modes of SDS, huge UV updates, huge AA updates, Ghosting, a lot of SDK updates, and some major bug fixes seems like a fairly good update. The UV and the AA updates alone are MAJOR and have been needed for a long time. At this rate of change I'll be happy by 8.5.

So why all the long faces?

The AA update alone could shave your rendertimes in half or more- and that doesn't bring a smile to your face?

Ztreem
01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, I'm all puzzled. The item gets a bare mention. The only way I can think of that we could have given it less space and attention would be not to list or document it at all, and it really does not seem to us to be best for the user or the product to leave a feature out of the feature list and undocumented.

OK! Maybe I was a little bit too hasty in my statement. I must say that I love the new Newtek style with alot more information and open communication with the users.

It was only that when came to the 8.2 site and saw the major updates that is listed... First I saw the new antialiasing feature that I like alot, then I saw the UV's and that's great. Then I saw an update to Viper and I thought WOW now it's upgraded and works more like FPrime. Then it was a feature that we allready have, then I got a little disappointed.
Sorry, if I let it go out over you.

Keep up the good work! ;)

Panikos
01-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Seeing the LW8.2 features ...

I am trying hard to reconciliate with Newtek plans for LW future.
Its obvious to understand many things.
Patience is a virtue.

If the future doesnt provide clues for rushing into 2005 technology, I dont want to predict the consequences. We are living in a non-static world.

Such workflow developments should have been part of LW since 6.0 when major rewriting was done.
Instead Rendering Engine was left identical and everyone's attention and hopes are on 3rd party plugin developments.

As a veteran LWver, cant hide my dissapointment.
Most of my forums posts are feature requests that other people enbraced.
Yeah, I know, Newtek reads them.
Reading is not enough.

When FPrime was released, users reply was indication #1.
Kray's Website collapse is indication #2.
You cant blame people. They know what they need and what they are asking.
Newtek stares with embarrassment.

MooseDog
01-15-2005, 10:04 PM

i would respectfully disagree. the success of third-party developers is nothing for a company to be embarassed about. is ford embarrassed because holly makes better carbeurators? is a general contractor embarassed because kohler makes better faucets?

nt is a small company with limited resources, so they gotta make decisions on what to improve/pursue.

if worley, or the guys over at polas.net, or grahm at happy-digital, etc etc can do something better than nt, more power to'em. i hope they make buckets of money :). i cannot imagine nt being embarassed by others success.

sure, it does hi-lite a "weakness" if you will of the original software, but no-one can be everything to everybody. lw's price/performance ratio tho puts it pretty **** close.

i'll also echo the sentiments regarding the update announcements, their benefits to us the users, and the hard work of the dev team. congrats chuck, peter and nt!

faulknermano
01-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Such workflow developments should have been part of LW since 6.0 when major rewriting was done.
Instead Rendering Engine was left identical and everyone's attention and hopes are on 3rd party plugin developments.

panikos, i think it's completely reasonable to be disappointed. but understand that while these improvements should have been here `a long time ago` it should at least happen between now and the future. but it is happening now, and still happening from the looks of it. AA improvments to a free .2 upgrade is not bad going. if the dev team is given some breathing space between the .2 upgrade to, hopefully, a .5 or .7 upgrade, who knows what other improvements there will be. note that the dev team is still fresh. didnt they (as a team) start with lw8? that's pretty recent. i think a full-point version release will be a good benchmark on how well development is going. i think they're just picking up speed. it's just a matter of finding out how fast the can eventually go. :)

Panikos
01-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Well, Lenie & MooseDog

I understand your points.
As well as I understand the situation.
As I wrote already I am trying hard to reconciliate with Newtek plans for LW future.
Thats why I spend a lot of time in here, reading/writing/contributing, submitting news here and there, inventing new things etc
All these are due to my interest and love for LW, Newtek, community.
Yes, 8.2 is a welcome free PLUS.
However if you have a look what is going on around us, outside the LW world,
and see how slowly LW renders with so many weaknesses its hard to resist not to complain.

:(

Exper
01-16-2005, 12:46 AM
They're still in transition.
The new Dev. Team is working good and hard; the .2 update is the first one (not considering 0.1) of 8's cycle and it's free.

I'd blame the Old Team (Lux's guys... you know).
They wilfully messed up and ruined the whole thing! :mad:

trick
01-16-2005, 01:49 AM
No doubt about it, I'm really excited about [8.2].
I also hope 3rd party developers are as excited and energetic as I am, so they can repair, adapt or enhance their existing plugins to work with it, otherwise [8.2] will NOT even have half the power of [7.5]. I know some have stopped developing because of decreased sales.
But I always try to be optimistic ;)

Chuck
01-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Seeing the LW8.2 features ...

I am trying hard to reconciliate with Newtek plans for LW future.
Its obvious to understand many things.
Patience is a virtue.

If the future doesnt provide clues for rushing into 2005 technology, I dont want to predict the consequences. We are living in a non-static world.

As a veteran LWver, cant hide my dissapointment.
Most of my forums posts are feature requests that other people enbraced.
Yeah, I know, Newtek reads them.
Reading is not enough.

Hi, Panikos!

No, we are not embarrassed by the efforts of third parties, we applaud and encourage them. Please do not overlook the fact that in this round of development the team spent considerable time and effort working in direct communication with Steve Worley regarding his feature requests to ensure that we put in the SDK changes he needs to take FPrime to a new level of integration and power with LightWave (and these changes will benefit NewTek and all third party developers as well). In addition, we made the first round of changes to the renderer architecture, and rest assured more is in development. [paragraph edited to clarify that Mr. Worley's role was providing feature requests, and providing feedback on the LightWave Development Team's implementation of the requested features.]

As for 6.x cycle, the rendering engine was not left identical - NewTek's LightWave team implemented HDRI, GI, and the flexible floating point pipeline at that point in development, for those who may have forgotten.

Also, a note to the general group: let's please give up pointing fingers and feeling that there is any need to accompany discussions of the past or present state of development of LightWave with recriminations. If there are features you want and need let us know, by all means; let's concentrate on shaping a good future together. As I said earlier in this thread, everything that is in this update represents earlier feature requests that we have now implemented for the user, and with an eye to giving the solution with more flexibility and power and an easier workflow than our own previous or other available solutions. That is the future of LightWave, you may rest assured.

Panikos
01-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Chuck, thanks for your reply. ;)

Chris S. (Fez)
01-16-2005, 11:37 AM
"Please do not overlook the fact that in this round of development the team spent considerable time and effort working with Steve Worley to ensure that we put in the SDK changes he needs to take FPrime to a new level of integration and power with LightWave (and these changes will benefit NewTek and all third party developers as well)."

Awesome...thanks Chuck!

I personally am not concerned with core enhancements being developed by third parties, as long as the plugins offer features and performance comparable to the competition, and as long as they are seamlessly integrated and, um, as long as the third party is Worley.

gjjackson
01-16-2005, 12:10 PM
After reading the 8.2 page I'm looking forward to the fix of panels on secondary monitors. That will certainly be a help.

As far as 3rd party plugins, I find that better. I can buy the features that mostly fit my needs. If all was native to Newtek I'd bet we'd be paying the price of Softimage or the full Maya. There are some that seem to want Newtek to include everything natively. The panels fix is something that Newtek themselves have to fix and 3rd parties can't. Those are what Newtek's has to put their efforts in. In addition, the SDK for 3rd parties would be another. That way develops can fully utilize the capabilities of the software.

This said, I'm pleased with the succession of Lightwave.

As far as features I like Matt's vX interface.

Bass
01-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Ah Newtek. You release, you don't release..., you announce, you don't announce..., you communicate, you don't communicate - it doesn't matter, there'll always be someone who will try to kick sand in your face!

I, like many others in here, really appreciate your approach - through platforms disappearing, economic flipflops, drastic price drops across the industry, mutinies (that we won't mention again)..., still you've carried on, providing these free releases that contain not only fixes, but major features as well. Every time.

Thank you!

Dave Davies

3DBob
01-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Go worley Go newtek. Collaborations are good.

3DBob

Original1
01-16-2005, 02:31 PM
As someone who has been around Lightwave for a long time, the enhancements to the render engine around LW 6.0 was a great leap forward at the time.

Newtek listens and a number of enhancements I asked for went into LW 6.0.

For me one of the biggest things I asked for and got since then was the introduction of the Duo Dongle this was tremendously generous on the part of Newtek and helps me in the freelance work I do since I can take a dongle with me and work on a Mac or PC depending on whats on site. Add to that the fact that Fprime is keyed to the Duo Dongle and can be used on MAC or PC on one licence and Lightwave gives me value for money in a way few other developers would be prepared to do.

Now if someone would just come up with a faster renderer and an improved shockwave exporter then that would be really cool

Better yet 8.2 is a FREE point release if I saw three more of them before LW 9.0 that would just be being greedy. ;)

BTW will the changes to the SDK be documented and the SDK itself be ready to roll along with the point release?

After what has been a hiatus in Lightwave development I think the signs are much more positive, all we need to do now is to find a way to dispell the ignorance that exsists in the UK and what a fine tool LW is.

Keep up the good work Chuck Nil carborundum illigitemi

pixym
01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Wait and see

Gui Lo
01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Things sound bubbling at NewTek.
All updates so far are very enthusiastic.

What a great update and the vids just add to it.

colkai
01-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Please do not overlook the fact that in this round of development the team spent considerable time and effort working with Steve Worley to ensure that we put in the SDK changes he needs to take FPrime to a new level of integration and power with LightWave

..And the Fprime community goes into wild speculation ;)

Seriously Chuck, the team deserve a hearty Bravo! As does everyone at Newtek for struggling in the face of heavy fire to keep their humor. :)

Also, a note to the general group: let's please give up pointing fingers and feeling that there is any need to accompany discussions of the past or present state of development of LightWave with recriminations. If there are features you want and need let us know, by all means; let's concentrate on shaping a good future together.

Hear Hear! - Let's have the requests (edge weighting) and suggestions (edge weighting) for future development (edge weighting), :p without the nastiness that seems to have crept in over the last few months.

Once again, bravo to all concerned with the new development.

Original1
01-17-2005, 03:41 AM
BTW will the changes to the SDK be documented and the SDK itself be ready to roll along with the point release?

Keep up the good work Chuck Nil carborundum illigitemi

Just thought keep up the good work neeed saying again :D

T-Light
01-17-2005, 04:13 AM
the team spent considerable time and effort working with Steve Worley to ensure that we put in the SDK changes he needs to take FPrime to a new level of integration and power with LightWave

(and these changes will benefit NewTek and all third party developers as well).

They most certainly will :D

Thanyou Chuck.

Nemoid
01-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Hi, Panikos!

No, we are not embarrassed by the efforts of third parties, we applaud and encourage them. Please do not overlook the fact that in this round of development the team spent considerable time and effort working with Steve Worley to ensure that we put in the SDK changes he needs to take FPrime to a new level of integration and power with LightWave (and these changes will benefit NewTek and all third party developers as well). In addition, we made the first round of changes to the renderer architecture, and rest assured more is in development.

now this IS a great news and a confirmation of a good work going on a well integrated fprime is one of the things that will make Lw competitive. plus with an updated sdk 3rd party developers will be able to make other marvels.

chrisdz
01-17-2005, 07:51 AM
There are tutorials up referring to 8.2, and a lot of discussion about it as though it were a done deal... did I miss something, or is this still in the hopper?

I mean, I can't imagine they'd release it and not let everyone know... but stranger things have happened.

What's the status?

Chuck
01-17-2005, 08:26 AM
There are tutorials up referring to 8.2, and a lot of discussion about it as though it were a done deal... did I miss something, or is this still in the hopper?

I mean, I can't imagine they'd release it and not let everyone know... but stranger things have happened.

What's the status?

The status was given in the first message on this thread.

ufo3d
01-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Chuck , Can we have more info about the changes of SDK?thanks

chrisdz
01-17-2005, 08:33 AM
The status was given in the first message on this thread.

Ah. I thought this was a much older thread - I was thinking that it was the thread started before Christmas, and didn't go back to the beginning figuring it was "out of date info" :)

Chris S. (Fez)
01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
It will certainly be interesting to see if this new antialiasing technique will work with texture maps. I have my doubts...

I just hope G2 works with 8.2.

Panikos
01-17-2005, 09:14 PM
One way or the other, Worley fine-tunes his tools to be compatible with LW evolution.

At least 98% of Lw functions go hand-n-hand with Worley tools.

Chuck
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Chuck , Can we have more info about the changes of SDK?thanks

The information (and, incidentally, 8.2) is now posted:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw82/support/features.html#sdk

:D

Matt
01-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I fricken love Newtek!!! :)

theo
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I fricken love Newtek!!! :)

Ah..... the majestic waving light shifts and meanders across the horizon wooing hearts with its brilliant shimmering beams of 8.2 glory.

Miles
01-19-2005, 06:37 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_16_26.gif

Exper
01-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Miles... awesome smile... awesome NT... awesome day! :cool:

faulknermano
01-19-2005, 07:30 AM
thanks newtek, more power to you guys. :) (here wishing i had a smiley like miles)