PDA

View Full Version : problem with epsf importer

pdrake
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
i'm not sure what happened, but all of a sudden every time i try to import an eps file i get an error now:

Cannot open this EPSF file.

Please check the file permission.

anyone know why this is? i've tried illustrator 3, 6, 8, and 10

thanks.

Silkrooster
01-13-2005, 06:26 PM
To start, what platform are you on and what version of LW are you using. Have you tried opening the eps file into another program to make sure it is not corrupted?
Silk

pdrake
01-13-2005, 06:53 PM
sorry, mac osX 10.3.7

lw v 8.02

yes, i've had to open them in formZ and export them out as lw files from there.

Silkrooster
01-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Too bad I don't have a mac, hopefully someone else can help you. Some things to try, make sure no other program is running that was using that file, try copying the file to another folder, check properties of that file and the folder it self, Check the manual of the program that created the file, maybe it has an option to protect the file.
I know I am reaching with some of this, since I don't have a mac, but who knows, maybe I was lucky. :rolleyes:
Good Luck

hiromiito
01-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't have a solution, just suggestions:

You could run a program like Onyx (freeware) to rebuild permissions, clean cache, etc.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html

and check as well preferences files and library files linked to Lightwave. In Onyx you can have the hidden files displaued, maybe you can identify some files created at the time of your error message.

For the rest, I'm using often the bridge Illustrator/FormZ/Lightwave for EPS files, more on PC though...

'Hope this could help.

Matt
01-14-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm sure this isn't it because your say Form-Z can load it, but it is a vector based EPS isn't it? If it's just a bitmap saved in EPS format LightWave can't do anything with it.

I take it you've tried saving a copy of it under a different name too?

Zarathustra
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Do a search next time:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=28419

pdrake
01-14-2005, 01:37 PM
jeeze, mr. crabby cakes. :)

yep, that seems to be what happened. i did an update from 8 to 8.02. i'll try the work around. thanks.

i mean 8.01. i guess i have 2 on the brain.

Zarathustra
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
If I was mean spirited, I wouldn't have posted the link.

pdrake
01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
you're always mean spirited. you should get more god. meenie. :p

it was that problem. i was able to transfer the file to a usb jump drive, and it imported it from there.

this really looks like something newtek should look at and adress.

thanks for the help.

Zarathustra
01-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Oh yes, then instead of everything I say just being what I think, I can wrap it up and deliver it with "god" for more punch. That's a good tip. :)

NT has addressed the problem - isn't Beevee who offers the workarounds?
In the land of LW, workaround=fix.

btw - I don't bother with 8. Too many buggy things. I have no trouble importing eps with 7.5.

pdrake
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
you do know i'm just giving you ****.

i didn't mention which god. ;)

they'll probably close this thread now and ban me. since i said the g word.

you should check out my homepage.

http://www.human2.com/

thanks again for the work around.

Zarathustra
01-14-2005, 04:33 PM
I know, and you were talking about Anath, the Canaanite goddess of Love, right? :D

pdrake
01-14-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah, she's a good one, but so is baccus.