PDA

View Full Version : Should you Subpatch everything??

ant_sutton
01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to lightwave and have mostly been modelling cars (or trying to).

I have a wooden box, and I have rounded the edges and then subdivided it (cutting it into four equal parts). When I subpatch (tab) it only rounds the edges slightly more than if I leave it without subpatching. Therefore, is it okay to leave objects such as wooden boxes, stones, bricks unsubpatched or should I always subdivide and bandsaw then subpatch?

Thansk alot

Anthony

LFGabel
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Rule of thumb: It depends ;) Often you use subpatches for organic shapes or objects where rounded parts are clearly seen. Subpatches are not usually needed for inorganic shapes. However, you can mix the two.

For a box like you describe, I'd forget about the subpatching, and adjust the smoothing angle, if needed.

So use your best judgement.

SplineGod
01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
If its not going to deform I would freeze it.

spec24
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
However, you can mix the two.

speaking of that there used to be a great tutorial on the web about just that - blending a subpatch edge into a flat polygon. Anyone remember where that tutorial is???

SplineGod
01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Basically you use point weights on the common edge.

ant_sutton
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
hi.

Thanks alot for your help guys. What does freezing actually do?

Telvin_3d
01-14-2005, 05:13 PM
It takes the mesh that subpatching generates and turns it into real geometry. Basically, it keeps the details of subpatching, but without the subpatch. It can also be a nice way to generate more geometry when you need it. On the other hand, it makes it much harder to edit the base model, and it canít be undone.

I normally use it only when I need to have more direct control of a model for animation reasons, and know that I am not going to be doing any more modifications.

SplineGod
01-14-2005, 05:57 PM
It also keeps food fresh longer. ;)

Basically you can freeze the mesh at different resolutions. Lightwave also has to calculate the subpatches when you use them in layout which slows things down. So using frozen meshes is faster. As Telvin mentioned you cant go back so its always a good idea to save a subpatched version before freezing it.