PDA

View Full Version : PAL to NTSC practicae?

mgrusin
04-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey Kids-

I have the opportunity to use a pro camcorder for my next shoot, but the guy who's letting me borrow it throws in at the end of the conversation, "oh, by the way, it's a PAL unit, will that be a problem for you?" Now I know how he got it so cheap.

I know that the Toaster can capture PAL and (presumably) output to NTSC, but I wanted to ask if there are any gotchas in all of that, and how the final footage will look? Does the VT do some sort of pulldown to get from 25 to 30FPS, and from 520 to 480 lines, and is all of that automatic or manual? I suppose I'll figure it out if everyone looks like they've gained 20 pounds and sound like they've been sniffing helium.

Also, the client's primary delivery format will be a media file which can be shown on a computer (though I'm sure they'll want a NTSC videotape as well). Any suggestions for codecs to use for good res and framerates on a medium-powered Wintel box, and will the PAL issue affect this at all (or -hey- possibly work in my favor)?

Thanks for any and all advice!
-Mike Grusin

Faraz
04-14-2003, 02:56 PM
If its for Media Realted stuff on the computer you should be fine.

mgrusin
04-15-2003, 11:31 AM
If its for Media Realted stuff on the computer you should be fine.

Thanks, Faraz. That's the primary delivery method, but they may want to show it on local (NTSC) television as well... I'm going to borrow the camera today and do a few tests.

Thanks! -MG

kleima
04-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Yes, Toaster can capture PAL and output NTSC.

Dan Hong
04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Mix and match PAL and NTSC on the same timeline. You can do it all with VT.