PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 8.2 IKB Ghost Option

WilliamVaughan
01-13-2005, 06:39 AM
LightWave 8.2 IKB Ghost Option

New to 8.2 is the ability to see several frames of animation at once when using IK Booster. Below is a quick demo showing this option.

IKB Ghost Demo (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/IKBGhost.mov)

Dodgy
01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Very sexy. :)

Does that work with items in the IKB chain too? I presume it does...

chikega
01-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Oh, I see ... Onion Skin .... neat. But the ten dollar question is can we do this with an entire character with a mixed rig (IK and IKB)?

[image link to website for another vendor removed]

Dodgy
01-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Well IKB is usually applied to the whole hierarchy whether or not you actually use it in parts, so I'm taking a guess and saying yes....

pat-lek
01-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Perhaps, it' s a good idéa to have the possibility to see ghosts of differrents sélected frame on the same frame (?)

(For LW 8,3 or 8,4 or 8,5!!)

Tesselator
01-13-2005, 12:12 PM
LightWave 8.2 IKB Ghost Option

New to 8.2 is the ability to see several frames of animation at once when using IK Booster. Below is a quick demo showing this option.

IKB Ghost Demo (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/IKBGhost.mov)

Kewl! Just like real cel onion skinning...

Thanks for the Demo Proton!

Zarathustra
01-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I like pat-lek's idea

So what's the ETA now?

paulhart
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the preview of a excellent new function. Should help alot. Very helpful way to see the intervals and timing. More, more....

badllarma
01-13-2005, 01:29 PM
You know what I would really like with Ik booster is when you turn it on you get a bank of sliders appear rather than clicking on the numbers and dragging them left and right.

Having a bank of sliders would make Ik booster so much more easyer to control rather than go into the geomertry every time to click on the bones controler.

just me 2 cents :)

Lamont
01-13-2005, 03:05 PM
That's sweet :) Gonna make animation a heck of a lot easier.

It sounds like this is just for bones though, any way to get this to geometry?

Dodgy
01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
You know what I would really like with Ik booster is when you turn it on you get a bank of sliders appear rather than clicking on the numbers and dragging them left and right.

Having a bank of sliders would make Ik booster so much more easyer to control rather than go into the geomertry every time to click on the bones controler.

just me 2 cents :)

That sounds like it's gonna get awfully cluttered very quickly. There are a lot of controls just for one item let alone the entire rig. I'm fine with clicking the numbers :)

Gwot
01-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I like those numbers myself. Nice and draggable, and you always know what state the joint is in. More numeric dragging please! =]

spec24
01-13-2005, 08:17 PM
this is great functionality but it would really be nice if it wasn't just for IKBooster. I'd like to have this option with a traditional rig. But who knows - maybe I'll find myself using IKBooster a lot more..... or not :)

Ztreem
01-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Looking good! Is it more things IKBooster can do now that it couldn't before??

Dodgy
01-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm not certain but didn't 8.01 bring undos to IK booster? Didn't notice until I tried playing with it recently, and now I'm getting to like it....

spec24
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm not certain but didn't 8.01 bring undos to IK booster? Didn't notice until I tried playing with it recently, and now I'm getting to like it....

yes, that and the fact that IKB no longer auto keyframes (you do still have that option). That's what I hated. I'm used to having no undo (LW and all), so no big deal. Speaking of which, it wouls be nice to extend the undo into more than just movement of things.

Castius
01-14-2005, 05:00 PM
IK booster keyframes based on the mode it's in. The list on the lower left. it defaults to parent. If you set it to child it will keyframe all child items. If you set it to all items it will key all.

This applys to all commands. So if you have it set to all items and you delete a keyframe it will delete all keyframes for all items.

You can also use this to save/load poses for hands.

spec24
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
IK booster keyframes based on the mode it's in. The list on the lower left. it defaults to parent. If you set it to child it will keyframe all child items. If you set it to all items it will key all.

This applys to all commands. So if you have it set to all items and you delete a keyframe it will delete all keyframes for all items.

You can also use this to save/load poses for hands.

yes, but the original version of IK booster auto keyframed - you had no choice. You made a move, it keyframed. Now in 8.0.1 that is not the case. You can set it to auto keyframe or not.

Castius
01-14-2005, 06:20 PM
oh sorry i misunderstood. you are right.

SplineGod
01-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I agree with Gwot. I like the little numbers and I like how everything I need to do is right there. I dont have a ton of controllers, menus and whatnot in my face. I also dont have to go looking for things. I like being able to have local and global controls easily available. I would like to see the rest of LW become as easily accessible. :)

Dodgy
01-15-2005, 06:46 AM
The only thing I might add is multiselection and being able to set values. You can do this through the scene editor, but hands on is better :)

Karmacop
01-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I agree with gwot and larry. IKB has some nice interface stuff that I wish was avaliable for many more tools in Lightwave.

Gui Lo
01-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm using IKBooster now for the first serious animation run. It just seems to be as little setup as possible and quicker to get on animating. Brilliant!

I too love the dragable numbers.Very handy. One suggestion is to mirror them in the XYZ/HPB settings in the bottom left.

I hope this is an example of how the new dev team will develope LW.