PDA

View Full Version : unlicensed LW usage

illegal
04-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Is it illegal for a corporation to use Lightwave to create assets for use in sales and marketing materials if they do not hold the license for the software?

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I was recently fired from my job, which had me create assets for the company using a version of lightwave that was taken off of peer-to-peer programs like Kazaa. Now, I normaly wouldn't report them because it would certainly mean my job, which I happened to need. However, they already let me go for no reason, so I have no loyalty left for them.

I have the files to prove the work was done and I also can easily point people to where the assets are being used to promote and sell the company. In fact, one of the things created was main logo images for their products that just so happen to be sitting on the shelves of almost every major retail company on the planet.

Another question I have is that they required me to do this but did not have the software available to them at the time. So they had me bring in my own personal computer and retrieve the software to complete the tasks. My question is wether or not I can be held liable personaly. Obviously, this would affect my decision in reporting them. They asked me to do it and they asked me to bring my personal machine in to the office to work on their time on it. I would like to think that I am protected by that fact.

I have no motivation other than revenge for them hiding behind the at-will clause of my employment contract, which they used to fire me for almost no reason what-so-ever.

If newtek would like to pursue this and press charges against the company, please have somebody reply to this thread and I will get in contact with them personaly to discuss the details.

benhaines
04-14-2003, 01:28 PM
WOW! What can I say?! ... unfortunately its very common ... I also think its very unlikely that Newtek would gain much from taking them to court. The cost of such action would far out-weigh any damages... (I think, I'm no lawyer!)

The only thing you can do is encourage companies to buy the software and inform them of the fact that you are unhappy working with unlicensed software.

C'est tout!

Bonsoir, Ben

mattclary
04-14-2003, 01:37 PM
If you are serious about doing it, just send the compamy name and address to Newtek customer service. If you think they are STILL using LightWave, I would do it. Is it the case that you were the only person there using LightWave? If so, I'd keep quiet about it. The fact that you aquired the software originally causes a raised eyebrow. Don't let sour grapes fog your thinking, you know deep down whether or not you did something wrong, or are STILL doing something wrong. Is it safe to assume you deleted LW and threw away any copies you had? It wouldn't be out of line for a search warrant to be issued for your premises if you do this.

mattclary
04-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, note the red circle:

benhaines
04-14-2003, 03:15 PM
????:confused: :confused: :confused:

kevman3d
04-15-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by illegal

(1)...version of lightwave that was taken off of peer-to-peer programs like Kazaa.

(2) Another question I have is that they required me to do this but did not have the software available to them at the time. So they had me bring in my own personal computer and retrieve the software to complete the tasks

(3) I have no motivation other than revenge for them hiding behind the at-will clause of my employment contract, which they used to fire me for almost no reason what-so-ever.

As for (2) - What do you mean? Did they ask you to bring in your computer with a copy of Kazaa to retrieve LightWave? (surely not?) :)

...Or, as I would probably guess, did you bring in your own license of LightWave on a PC to create work for them - In which case, I think you could legally claim expenses against the employer for the use of your own gear to perform your job adequately?

And if this is the case, I'm sure it would have been legal and made more business sense to just pay you an extra amount to 'hire' your equipment then to pirate a copy off the internet, unless the management is truly stupid.

As for (3), Well - I know where I come from, unless the contract has expired, you've done something illegal, breached contract obligations or have already had a few warnings (both verbal and written) then its illegal to just lay off anyone without due cause... Though I'm not sure what the law is like in your country! :D

Also your intent stated in that (3) says you are motivated towards 'revenge'. It REALLY doesn't read well for you posting a comment about 'revenge' like that. It reads 'Sore employee out to screw ex-employer for kicks'

I'd say review your options, and talk to a Lawyer about Contractual obligations and if you've been screwed, rather then seek the less professional 'revenge' path...

Just my 0.2c worth...

mattclary
04-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Ben, I was trying to figure out if Jessica Lynch had been assaulted during her captivity. I'm not in favor of women being in combat for that reason.

Mike_RB
04-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Benhaines: That was a pretty funny comeback with that second image. Good eye. I got a nice chuckle out of that one.... Thanks.

Mike

Matt
04-15-2003, 07:12 AM
made me laugh too!

private
04-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Me three.

Illegal, report the company to Newtek and let it be. If they are serious about software piracy, they will pursue it.

riki
04-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Mmmmm I think your probably more involved than your letting on. I find it hard to believe that your company would tell you to download illegal software to 'your' computer (and that you would agree) and tell you where to get it. I'd cut your losses while your ahead. You've admitted to downloading and using illegal software, but you can be sure that your ex-company won't admit to anything. They could say they sacked you becuase they found illegal soft on your machine.

Rei
04-15-2003, 11:51 AM
i thought NT had a hard line policy on illegal LW usage

Rei

benhaines
04-15-2003, 12:17 PM
:) :) glad I made you guys chuckle...

mastermesh
04-16-2003, 12:43 PM
This is all probably going to depend on a number of things. Mainly, did they hire you as a freelancer type thing, or did they hire you specifically to download illegal stuff and do illegal activities. Please know that BSA, or FBI, or the court may want to confiscate your computer, and they may be interested if the LW is the only thing illegal on there. I'd say if you really want to know about this you should report it to www.bsa.org and possibly the fbi, Newtek, and the Better Business Bureau www.bbb.org

Lamont
04-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Actually, I dealt with the same thing from a previous employer. The guy was like "We only need it for one project.. just to get the job done..". So he brought in Quark and some other apps. I kept working though, but eventually, I quit. He was a lousy bastard.

FBI won't be involved BTW. Just a few lawyers... and the BSA.

mastermesh
04-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Reporting Form

Thank you for reporting to the Business Software Alliance. If you think of anything else, please call us at 1-888-NO-PIRACY