PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics/Blowing Wind

sugna
01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Can anyone give me a good setting for wind dynamics for blowing a Flag type object on the y axis?

Shane

Silkrooster
01-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Take a look at the dress example in the content folder that came with Lightwave. It shows using a collision object instead of wind. This is what I ended up using in my snowglobe over on the wip forum. I had better control of the cloth. Anyways this is just a suggestion, as your scene may have different requirements, but I think the collision object which is nothing more than a null, uses less system resources than the wind dynamics.
Silk

Mike Pauza
01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Sugna, try parenting wind to a null, cloning a bunch of them (nulls with wind attached), then moving them through your scene/flag. That's how I did the flag animation in this video:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/demo/dynamics_01/DynamicsVideo1.mov

That's the best way I know to get believable wind. A full 30min video tutorial on animating flags is on my DVD...see the link below. :)

-Mike

DAMAKERS
01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Hello sugna...

just today i was doing laboratories scenes about wind and clothes... flags as pricipal target... and i got something near to the real effect... right now i am at home and leave the scenes at work but tomorrow ill post the scene so u can download to mess with it...

The escene is for trying dynamics... but there are several ways to get good results without dynamics...

The first i realize is with only one Wind emitter we cant get the correct results... so we will need 2 wind emitters... one is directional wind that help rise up and orientation of our flag... the second emitfer will be turbulence wind that makes our flag dance with the wind.

with directional wind we can apply a texture at the vector wind, i used turbulence with a value of 500% at the texture value and give it 100% of constrast and a size 15 m, then i made an envelope of its position at the Z axis to create a changing intensity and direction of the wind... also i gave a value of 15m of vector X (wind velocity).

the falloff of the emitters (both) i set them in OFF, so i dot have to worry where the emiters are, so the winds cover the hole scene.

At the turbulence emitter just make few tweaks to get the results desire.

the cloth i used the preset cotton(thin), but changed the spring value to 500 and raised the sub structure value to 2000.

The better thing i got with this thecnique is, where ever i put the flags, they ill react in different way each time.

well thats it, hope this can help, and later ill post the scene.

Have a nice day! :)

Javier

DAMAKERS
01-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Wind Blowing Flags (http://www.damakers.com/downloads/Laboratory.rar)

This is the test scene... just unrar... load the scene and press calculate...

Enjoy

Javier.

geoff
06-21-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi Guys
I had a couple of hours spare today, so decided to have a mess around at using cloth for doing a blowing flag.. Still work in progress, but getting close..

Quicktime file is at www.geoffwilson.co.uk/flag.mov