PDA

View Full Version : Particle warning

Wonderpup
01-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi

I got caught out by this at work today, so I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else runs into it.

I had a long scene with a lot of static particles in it, and i needed to re-render a small chunk of it to change something. However, when i dropped the rerendered chunk back into the frame sequence, the particles had moved out of position, even though I had made no changes to them at all. I had resaved the scene with a different name, but aside from a small position change to one object, it was an identical copy.

What seems to have happened is that lightwave has not stored whatever seed value it used to generate the particles in the scene file, so when I reloaded the scene it randomly generated the particles again, so they were not in the same places.

I'm sure there is a simple fix for this, like saving the settings or something- but I haven't researched it yet because Lightwave and I are not on speaking terms at present.

UnCommonGrafx
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Yah,
If you save the solution then you can do what you wanted without a hitch.
Otherwise, everytime you open the scene, it's another simulatioin at work.

Hoopti
01-13-2005, 10:36 AM
When you create the dynamic and hit calculate, then you can save the motion file and the particles will be in the same place. I had the same problem until I started doing that. Check the file tab under most dynamics.

Hoop

Exper
01-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Using Generator / Fixed = ON + Particle / Fixed Random = ON should do the same on particles!

If particles are affected by dynamics too then saving the motion file is a fater way... then you can also save the setting file!

Hoping it helps! ;)

Wonderpup
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I figured there would be a way to avoid this.

It does seem counterintuitive though- why not just save the settings with the scene by default? I mean if I didn't like the current solution I wouldn't be saving it!

Ah well, live and learn.

Exper
01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Particle's settings are saved into the Scene file... indeed!

You can save a setting file so you can use the same ones in different Scenes.

Particles emmiters spawn in a random way so you have to use the "Fixed" options if you want the same result in different scenes (or when you reload the same scene).

Then saving the motion file is a fast way to reload a complex simulation or simply to reload baked Particles motions.