PDA

View Full Version : VT [3] RTV Problems

EricSt
01-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I have been having problems with RTV files for a long time now. I primarily use
VT[3] for live switching. During this duration, when I play videos, I have been using avi's with the Microsoft DV Codec. I have recently tried to go back to using RTV's as a source to display my moving graphics and my opening video, which has an Alpha channel at the end of the clip. Every time I play my RTV videos, they always stutter every 5 frames. I have adjusted my DDR - Cache so many times I still cannot get the RTV's to stop stuttering. I was wonder if anyone out there that can help me fix this. My system setting are: Duel 2.4 GHz, 2GB of Ram, my PCI Bus Speed is 32Bit 33MHz PCI Bus 85Mb/s rate limit. My Cache preferences are currently at: Render Cache Enabled, 4 frames Block size, 2.39GHz CPU Limit, 60Mb/s PCI bandwidth, start render after 2s. Thanks in advance.

Paul Lara
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
The hard disk requirements on these uncompressed files are much higher than for DV clips; have you de-fragmented your video drive lately?
:)

EricSt
01-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I have just de-fragged my Video drives and the video still stutters.

mgrusin
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Your system sounds fast enough, here are some things to check:

What does Autoconfig show as your video drive speed? (should be > 50MB/s)

While you're playing, what does the Windows Task Manager show as your CPU usage and Physical Memory Available? (Should not be 100%)

Are you running any other software at the same time? Do you use CD-writing software like Nero InCD which sits in the background? (It can cause problems like this).

How full is your video drive? (Full drives are slow, and may not be able to store cache info).

In preferences, does the Cache directory point to your video drive? (It should, cache needs to run fast).

If you pull your RTV clip into VT-Edit, does it play OK? Does the green light stay on or go off? (If the light goes off or does not ever come on, it may mean a cache / speed problem).

-MG.

Paul Lara
01-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I have just de-fragged my Video drives and the video still stutters.

When you run Autoconfig, what disk speeds are reported for your video drives?

EricSt
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Your system sounds fast enough, here are some things to check:

What does Autoconfig show as your video drive speed? (should be > 50MB/s)

While you're playing, what does the Windows Task Manager show as your CPU usage and Physical Memory Available? (Should not be 100%)

Are you running any other software at the same time? Do you use CD-writing software like Nero InCD which sits in the background? (It can cause problems like this).

How full is your video drive? (Full drives are slow, and may not be able to store cache info).

In preferences, does the Cache directory point to your video drive? (It should, cache needs to run fast).

If you pull your RTV clip into VT-Edit, does it play OK? Does the green light stay on or go off? (If the light goes off or does not ever come on, it may mean a cache / speed problem).

-MG.

Answers to your questions.

1: 87MB/s
2: CPU Peaks at 88%, Memory usage: 312416k/4035760k
3: No
4: 83.2GB free of a 136GB Drive
5: Yes
6: The Green light stays on and the Video stutters in VT-Edit. When I add Force Render, the green light goes off for a while, then turns back on. and the video starts playing smooth.

Thanks

mgrusin
01-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Hm. Even at 87MB/s, your drive would be considered slow by most users, but you should be able to get at least one RTV stream out of it (~25MB/s?) if you're not doing something else with the drive at the same time (capturing, networking, etc.).

Your VT-Edit results are interesting; the immediate green light shows that VT thinks it can play back the RTV, when it obviously can't (and the Force Render shows that it could play it if rendered to cache first). Try lowering your DDR Cache CPU Limit in Preferences, to 2.0 and even 1.75 and see if it works better then.

Unfortunately "Better" in this case means it will be caching things a lot more, which may solve the immediate problem, but the real cause may be something else that's not right with your system. Has it been this way from day one? Did you buy from a dealer who could take a look at it?

Probably unrelated, but you said you're using the Microsoft DV codec; I think using the Mainconcept DV codec is recommended because of problems with the Microsoft one.

Normally I'd suggest using a compressed format such as DV which is easier on slow drives, but I don't know of any formats besides RTV which give you an alpha channel. :(

-MG.

Jim_C
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM
>>>PCI Bus Speed is 32Bit 33MHz

What type of scsi adapter are you using?

Sounds like with the 80 sumthin on disk speed its a 32 bit bus, which would make your setting correct, but just wondering.

Whats interesting is that all rendering the rtv does is make another rtv of it in your cache folder. You can even change the extension to .rtv and use it.

Do you have any overlays or any control tree going on , or are you just playing back an rtv unadjusted?

Dan Hong
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
The speed of that drive is a bit slow. Is it a raid? Also, with the dual Xeons you might experiment with put the bus speed up to the 66mhz setting. Just a thought.

EricSt
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
The speed of that drive is a bit slow. Is it a raid? Also, with the dual Xeons you might experiment with put the bus speed up to the 66mhz setting. Just a thought.

Yes I run on a Scsi Raid system. It is an Ultra 160 card. The system was built in 2001, built for VT [2]. Is it a possibality that my CPU's are too slow for VT [3]'s RTV's, because it seems like this problem started when I upgraded to VT [3] when it came out.

mgrusin
01-14-2005, 12:33 PM
RTVs don't take a lot of CPU, because they're uncompressed (the CPU doesn't have to work to uncompress them). But they do require high disk speeds. The opposite goes for compressed formats like DV.

I think your CPUs are fast enough; it really sounds like something is wrong with your RAID. Someone else can comment, but shouldn't ultra160 be able to run well over 100MB/s?

More questions: are there any RAID self-diagnostics you can run? Is it set up as RAID 0? How many drives? Have you maybe lost one of the drives?

-MG.

SBowie
01-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Got drive indexing turned off?

EricSt
01-14-2005, 05:34 PM
RTVs don't take a lot of CPU, because they're uncompressed (the CPU doesn't have to work to uncompress them). But they do require high disk speeds. The opposite goes for compressed formats like DV.

I think your CPUs are fast enough; it really sounds like something is wrong with your RAID. Someone else can comment, but shouldn't ultra160 be able to run well over 100MB/s?

More questions: are there any RAID self-diagnostics you can run? Is it set up as RAID 0? How many drives? Have you maybe lost one of the drives?

-MG.

I could not find a RAID self-diagnostics to run, to the other questions, It is setup as RAID 0. I have 3 drives, I have them striped to have the first two drives run my videos and my third drive setup for my DVE's. If I stripe the 3 drive together, will that help?

Scott Bates
01-14-2005, 06:38 PM
As a general rule, yes, the more drives in the stripe set the greater the speed of the RAID will be, to a point; kind of a cumulative effect. If you have space elsewhere to temporarily store the files that are on your stripe set and a drive with space for the DVEs, it would be worthwhile re-striping the set to include the third drive. I keep my DVEs on a system drive and have no problem running them from there; others do keep them on the video set, but I haven't seen the need to take up space I need for video.

My system also has Dual 2.4 GHz Xeon processors with 2Gb RAM, a 4-drive Ultra 160 SCSI stripe set on the motherboard controller and a 4-drive IDE stripe set on a separate controller and I've rarely had RTV studdering problems, even on the IDE video set with simple projects, from VT[2] through [4].

As Dan suggested, you might try changing the PCI Bus speed to 66MHz. I've always run mine on the "unlimited" setting (whatever that option on top of the list is) and have never had to change it.

EricSt
01-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I still have not been able to fix the problem, but I have an idea of how to go about fixing it. I want to thank all who have helped me thorugh this problem.