PDA

View Full Version : Free Script: Align to Point v1.0

Matt
01-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi All

I'm sure someone has written a script to do this already! If they have, I can't find it on flay.com! Or at least one that works the way I wanted it to. I had a few scripts that I'd cobbled together to do other things and it became clear that I could use the guts of their code to write a plugin I've been needing for some time now - a simple 'align to point' script.

You know the situation, you want to align one object to another, or several points with another point, but you want to keep their original spacing intact. There's no proper snapping tools in LightWave so this script attempts to fill that gap.

This script is for Modeler only.

Hope someone finds it useful!

Cheers
Matt

coremi
01-11-2005, 12:44 PM
thanx a lot, but, mine doesn't behave as yours, it take the geometry and puts the last point in the middle of the other object. It takes the BOX and move it so the center of the BOX is align with the last point selected on the SPHERE. I hope is is clear what i tried to say.

Orimar
01-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Matt:

Just downloaded and tried it. Works as expected here. Looks like this will come in real handy.

Great work Matt. Thanks for providing it to us.

.O.

Castius
01-11-2005, 02:09 PM
not to take away from your work. But snap drag tool can do this with no problem. just use the connect points or all points options.

Matt
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
If the model is quite big you need to zoom out to see all the objects you might be snapping to, it becomes difficult to see the points, making the Snap Drag tool fiddly. This plugin makes it a little easier - also if a point is hard to reach - requiring you to spin the view before it becomes visible, again the Snap Drag tool might be fiddly.

This plugin also gives the ability to limit the axis, making it into a rudimentry align tool.

But you're right to point out that the Snap tool (with the 'dragset' set to anything other than point) is similar in function.

Cheers
Matt

theo
01-11-2005, 04:05 PM
not to take away from your work. But snap drag tool can do this with no problem. just use the connect points or all points options.

I just poked your dragon in the eye with my mouse you party pooper you.

Seriously though- thanks Matt for the script.

Wade
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks! Have a great one.

Wade
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks! Have a great one. :)

pixym
01-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Hello Matt,

Thanks a lot for this tools that will allow mac users to move an object by 2 points.
For PC only there is a plug-ins nammed MovePlus that made the same thing ;)

Regards

P.S.: Matt, this is the MovePlus plug-ins if you are interested...

Fasty
01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks Matt, great plugin.

I never knew that about the snapdrag tool either. You learn something new every day!

riki
01-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Sweet thanks Matt, BTW the Lightwave X project looks good. Did you ever get any feedback from Newtek regarding your design?

Exper
01-12-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks! :cool:

Matt
07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I recently tried my script in LW9.x using one of the move modes I don't use as often (the centre selection on bounding box mode) and it failed to work correctly.

Whether it was a bug or something changed I don't know, but here's an update for those that found it useful.

Have tested it in 9.3.1 and all works fine there too.

Cheers
Matt

Description:
Aligns selected geometry (works best with point mode) to a specified (last) point elsewhere on the geometry or to the world origin (0,0,0)

Usage:

1) On the geometry you want to move, select 1 point that will be the move 'anchor' or datum point

2) Now select the rest of the points on the remaining geometry you want to move. (Use 'Select Connected ']' key to quickly selected points on the same object or lasso select for other unconnected geometry)

3) Lastly, select the point which you want the first point (and subsequent points) you selected to move to. If you want to zero the first selected point on the 0,0,0 origin, then skip this part

4) Run the 'Align to Point' LScript, choose which move operation you want, either:

- First selected point set to last selected point (default on script first run)

- Centre first selected point set's bounding box on last point selected

- Align point selection set to world origin (0,0,0) using first selected point as a datum

You can also run any of these move operations on selected axis of your choice.

Matt
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I just saw this:

Liberty3D: Lightwave Plugin of the week: Align to Point (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/12/lightwave-plugin-of-the-week-align-to-point)

Thanks Liberty3D! :)

But watching Mr. Burman use my script made me think of how much better it could be, so I decided to update it.

Totally overhauled the UI and made it so you can use Bounding Box extents for alignment.

Grab it here:
Align_to_Point_v1.9.zip (http://www.pixsim.co.uk/LW_Scripts/Align_to_Point_v1.9.zip)

I also did a little video on it here:

Align_to_Point_v1.9_Video_Tutorial.zip (http://www.pixsim.co.uk/LW_Scripts/Align_to_Point_v1.9_Video_Tutorial.zip)
Quicktime H.264 | 17.7MB

Hope you like it!

Matt

Creativetone
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Matt! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the updated script, Matt! :D

Sweet thanks Matt, BTW the Lightwave X project looks good. Did you ever get any feedback from Newtek regarding your design?
Funny how things go! I guess they liked it. ;)
(Matt, works for NT now if you didn't know)

wesleycorgi
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Totally overhauled the UI and made it so you can use Bounding Box extents for alignment.

I also did a little video on it here:

Not giving you enough work at the day job? :)

Thanks, this is awesome. I hope you are cooking up some new Python scripting goodness in your spare (hah!) time as well.

Matt
12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Not giving you enough work at the day job? :)

Hehe, yes, I do have enough!

But I live and breathe LW!

Thanks, this is awesome. I hope you are cooking up some new Python scripting goodness in your spare (hah!) time as well.

This IS something I do need to do!