PDA

View Full Version : problems controlling the Tumble function

kori
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I am having problems controlling the Tumble function in the modeler when I use the key shortcut RMB + Alt. It seems to work fine in the Layout, but gets weird in modeler. This is an issue because I tend to use key shortcuts to move around models, instead of ikon buttons. The Tumble ikon button seems to work fine in the modeler, its only the key shortcut that causes this problem.

Any solutions?

Kori

Dodgy
01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
If you drag from near the centre of the view port, it'll act like you're rotating around the y/x axis (viewport relative).
If you drag from near the edge of the view, it'll rotate around the z-axis (viewport relative)

kori
01-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Why is it different from the Layout editor? The Layout editor works properly when rotating around the object you are working on. Why does the modeler suddenly tilt when you rotate? I can't see any advantage to it. The modeler rotate, should work like the Layout editor when you use the key/mouse shortcut. It is the most used function a person has when working on a model, as you move around to select. The icon rotate on the modeler works properly, why not the key/mouse shortcut?

I think LW has a problem with their software that they have not addressed. When you consider how many versions they have worked on, there is no excuse for a key/mouse rotate that operates that way. And even if they did want it that way, they should give the user a option box to check turn it OFF, in the display editor.

If they can't address a simple problem like this, I think I will buy XSI. I am using a demo of both, and testing them, trying to decide which to buy. I thought I might go with LW, but if they can't get the rotate on the modeler right... well.... I'll go over to XSI. They rotate works properly.

Kori

UnCommonGrafx
01-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Marketeer.

When XSI doesn't give you what you want, will you switch to C4D? Then when that fails will you go to Maya?

Good luck in your search for an app.

kori
01-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I remember back in the 90s when Cinema 4D was the underdog, and it sold for half what LW cost. Cinema 4D price has gone up each year, while LW has gone down. Do you know why? Because the Maxon people listen to their user base, and give them what they ask for.

I will make a prediction here. When Cinema 4D finally makes that crack in LWs Broadcast industery market, they will sweep LW off the market overnight. And the same is true about Maya. When XSI makes a crack in the Mayas movie industry market, they will sweep Maya off the scene too. Both Maxon and Softimage are companies that listen to their customers and give them what they ask for. In this new 3d software market, a company that does not listen to their users will not be around long.

I am not putting down LW, or trying to start a flame war. I am simpley talking about marketing software. I have heard others complain about that rotation problem with the modeler. Plus you can't chang the interface colors or shade, and you can't change the Tool fonts. The UI is frozen. Take it or leave it.

Not good...

Kori

UnCommonGrafx
01-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I find that a funny response.

When C4D cracks LW's postition, will they have realize the worth of a user not having to care about the UI fonts, and freeze theirs?

For those of us that know, we can change the colors all we want. ;)

I think your predictions match those in the '90s that said LW would be dead now.

:D

It's a great program. No one will begrudge your not choosing it as a tool. Don't begrudge us the use of it, either, ok.

kori
01-10-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm leaving.

Last post.

Lost a customer.

It's all yours now.

I'll see you around.

Kori

UnCommonGrafx
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
You as much as stated that at the outset.

I don't believe they ever had you as a potential customer. I think you came by with a troll moment to get by.

People will buy LW for the power within. It is a very robust and capable program. That is why, even with it's tooth as long as it is, it still is great buy on the price to perfomrance ratio.
At SIGGRAPH last year, I sat at the demo pods and watched all of the cool apps. I wasn't the happiest of campers, to say the least. But then I went back to the NewTek booth and talked to some of the devvers. I've been on a LW kick ever since.
I'd love for you to be a client. We saw the power of LW and VTEdit and made a product to put it to use: http://toastergarage.com/lwconnect. So, you have to understand that what you are saying, for me, doesn't wash as I'm well aware, as are most on this particular board, of what is possible with LW.

Kori, you take care and let us know what you are using into the future. If you end up with some questions on how to better use LW, ask away. Look above and you will see a helping hand came out to assist you in your growth.

If they can't address a simple problem like this, I think I will buy XSI. I am using a demo of both, and testing them, trying to decide which to buy. I thought I might go with LW, but if they can't get the rotate on the modeler right... well.... I'll go over to XSI. They rotate works properly.

mattclary
01-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Or, here's an idea: Take 5 minutes to learn the software. I've heard this complaint on the message boards on occasion, and invariably it comes from some newb with 4 posts to his name who would rather rant than just adapt. I and 99% of LW users don't have a problem with the way modeler rotates in the perspective viewport. The way it rotates is all based on where you place your mouse. Learn it or get back on Kazaa and get another program.

Also, as you stated in your first post, the rotate icon works exactly the way you want it. Want to know why? Because when using the icon, LW has to assume the rotation axis since it has no cursor location to determine the axis location. To me, the icon has limited functionality and I would be pissed if Newtek changed the functionality of the alt-lmb, I wish layout was more like modeler, as I don't get lost when a 3D view rotates on multiple axes.

Klowno
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Also what is funny is that he is comparing the rotate function with xsi's.
Lightwaves rotate works great, xsi's doesn't.

Go over to cgtalk and find some posts about that ;)