PDA

View Full Version : how can I smooth key in graph-editor ?

operation
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Do you know if there is a plugin or a script to smooth the keys in the graph-editor ?

I mean to have a good looking spline, for now I do it by hand moving TCB tension).

thanks.

Silkrooster
01-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Did you know that you can use the shift key to select multiple keys, or use the right mouse button and area select the keys.
Silk

operation
01-10-2005, 09:26 PM
yes, of course : )

I want to get good tangent. there is these kind of fonction in other software.
As I said in an other forum, I have to do it key by key, because I have to care step by step to each key to get smooth curve, if you do it by once ( selecting all your keys), it's not working , you can't smooth them by one shoot.

HairyBouy
01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Sometimes I stuff around with my splines for a while, then want them reverted back to my orig smooth curves.

I selecti all my keys, change them to Bezier, then to TCB.
now all my keys are nice smooth things.

does this help? :confused:

HB

Silkrooster
01-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I am wondering if there is another factor keeping Operation's spline from looking smooth. Because when I try creating several keyframes then go into the graph editor, select all keyframes and set the tension to -1 I get a nice smooth sine wave.
Silk

HairyBouy
01-11-2005, 06:35 PM
What about in the graph editor options. setting the default incoming curve to TCB.

HB

operation
01-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Of course when you create your key by hand they look smooth ... and they are smoothed automaticly.

I have read in an other topic that I am not the only one to have this problem.
We got this problem when you import tracked information from a tracking software.

*I will try to upload a scene this week to show you.

if some of you know 3dsmax grapheditor you may understand because this fonction exist . I may be wrong but I think it works this way, the keys are smoothed by recalculating the tangent ( incoming and outgoing infos).... sorry hard to explain with my bad english.

but imagine 2 or 3 keys with random TCB value ... you can do it ... creat 3 key , move your slider randomly. If you look at your curve ... it must be something weird ( I am mean not continuous ... like a " curve in modeler"... very smooth- in the modeler when you move a vertex the curve is continous).

To correct the curve in the graph editor you have to move TCB tension,bias etc....
to resmooth the curve . The value of 0,0,0 in every box is not working.

Do you understand ?

Of course you create 3 keys and you go to graph editor you will see a nice curve with all tree parameters to 0. ( that's why it's different using tracked data - liek 2d tracking or motion capture) the value have random TCB.

When I delete some key to smooth the curve I need to re-adjust by hand the TCB.

Hope It's clear ;)

if you have the possibility look at 3dsmax or Maya graph editor , you will see there is missing parameter in LW.
I read the doc 3 times, testing and testing..... no magic solution.

here a person who has got the same problem ( I think) take a look you will see some intersting infos.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=26553

thanks for your support

ps: I am not a beginner, I have been working on Softimage and motion capture file for 2 years. It's just to tell you that I don't know exactly to express my self but believe me it still missing tool in graph editor.

operation
01-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Hairyboui: I will try , thanks for the tips.

In general don't care too much of what I said in the previous post, I wrote it to answer at the same time to other forum where I posted this question.

thanks