PDA

View Full Version : Argh! HELP! Audio

RuiFeliciano
04-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Client phoned today morning saying that he needed a VCD copy of the work I had finished last week. Project wass still on HD so I opened it on Tedit and much to my amasement I found out that a lot of the clips have no Audio! I mean the audio crouton is there just below the correspondent video but I can hear nothing. Also the waveform is flat. No, Mute is not ON and the volume is right where it should be. I checked the clip itself (outside of the Tedit project) and everything is OK so this is ourely a Tedit thing. Last week I dumped the project to tape and all was OK. If I try to do a Inherit drag to the clip with the same clip all remains the same.
This is a DV project using mainconcept's codec. Any ideas? Client is suposed to pick up the CD in a few hours.

RuiFeliciano
04-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Further experimentation reveals that the clips where this problem occurs (2 clips on the HD, several instances of it on the timeline) show absolutely no problem when viewed on MediaPlayer. However, within the Toaster environment (Tedit, double click on FileBin and DDR) those 2 clips have no audio!

RomainR
04-14-2003, 08:14 AM
are they lengthy clips?
are they avi clips?

If yes to both of the above you should wait for T[2] to scan the audio completely before you can hear it.

You should notice a little clock on the clip as it gets scanned.

RuiFeliciano
04-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Yes, they're both lengthy (sort of, 13 min and 17 mins) and AVI clips. When Tedit is processing the audio a WAIT appears on the audio clips and there's no waveform available. In this case there's a waveform (flat) and there's no wait. In any case this should not have happened when I told Tedit to render the project (in that case there's no wait involved) which is where I initially detected the problem. Also there's no wait needed for FileBin double clicking or the DDR and there's no Audio in those places as well on those 2 clips.
I'm solving the problem by loading both clips in After Effects, rendering the Audio only and then finding all instances of those clips on the timeline (and there's plenty of them! NEWTEK we need a SEARCH function!) and replacing the audio portion only. This is a most certainly a bug but I don't have the time to track this one down.

RayLarson
04-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Since installing the new build it has not happened again. It was strange...just affected the audio but on several projects randomly. Good thing I had a backup .

Scott Bates
04-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Just a random thought, but did you try deleting all the files in the appropriate NewTek Info folders for those clips and let it rebuild them when they're next loaded into TEd? That would rebuild the raw audio waveform files along with everything else.

RuiFeliciano
04-14-2003, 10:36 AM
That's a good idea to try Scott. Pitty you were not here a couple hours ago. I've now corrected the problem replacing the audio portion of the offended clips. Still it was a major pain in the a**! Had to replace the audio on close to 30 clips in the timeline which meant finding the appropriate IN and OUT points for each one and dropping them in the right place.
Is there no way to replace a reference to a clip on the HD to another clip? Supose your clips appears 30 times on the timeline. Suddenly you realize that you've to do some color correction or audio work on the original clip. What do you do then? If clip repleacement was possible this would be dead easy! Seems T[3] needs some serious project management functions (clip replace, search clips' comments, etc.). If the Project file was a ASCII file like the LW project file this would be dead easy hacking the file in Notepad or some other text editor. The way it's now it's not.

SBowie
04-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano

Is there no way to replace a reference to a clip on the HD to another clip? Are you aware of the Inherit function Rui? (Drag 'n drop with Alt...)

RuiFeliciano
04-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Yes Steve, I know about Inherit. I was not sucessful explainning what I needed. Supose that you have 30 references (clips) in your timeline to an AVI file. Those references are all scaterred throughout your timeline (they're not sequential). Now supose that something needs to be done to the AVI file (not to a single clip on the timeline) be it either color correction or some other operation that needs to affect the entire AVI. You do this either in a separate Tedit or in another application (in Aura for example, where you block a commercial logo that appears on the video) and save it as MyModifiedVideo.AVI. How do I get my 30 references in my Tedit project to now reference the modified video instead of the old one. In short, a replace. Doing all those Inherits by hand is a very tedious work. Guess I could rename my old file with some other name and save the modified file with the same name which is referenced in Tedit's project...In AE there's a Replace Footage option that mimics what I'd like to have in Tedit.

mgrusin
04-14-2003, 12:23 PM
I had this happen to me, I -believe- it happened when I didn't have enough room on the hard drive for VT to build the cache when you open a TEd project. I -believe- that when this happens the VT doesn't give you an error message, but quietly shows corrupted clips on the timeline, when the actual clips are A-OK (I had the audio quit halfway through my clips, didn't notice until I was spot-checking a dub). Scared the hell out of me when I saw it, as the original tapes had already been reused (another lesson learned).

I fixed it by not panicing (thanks DNA!) and renaming all my clips (causing the VT to "lose" them) and re-inhereting them back into the project. But I -suspect- that if you free up some space and delete the VT cache files (including old ones - sometimes they get orphaned when the VT crashes), the project would come back to life as well.

On a related note, and I don't know whether the latest builds (or my adding more memory) have fixed this, it -seems- like the VT can work on bigger projects than it can save and reload. In other words, if you're pushing the limits, try not to shut down the Toaster before your final render, dub, etc., you may have trouble loading the project back in.

Good luck! -MG

Scott Bates
04-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Rui Said: Guess I could rename my old file with some other name and save the modified file with the same name which is referenced in Tedit's project...
That's what I routinely do, much the fastest way to make global changes as long as you have drive space for duplicate files.

-- Copy the original clip (ie. Clip001.rtv) and name that copy Clip001_mod.rtv or whatever
-- Rename the original clip to Clip001_orig.rtv
-- Rename Clip001_mod.rtv to Clip001.rtv
-- Reopen the project and the modified clip has replaced the original in the project.

SBowie
04-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Got it Rui, and yes, I think a manual replace of the source file may be the only way at the moment.

larryboatright
03-28-2004, 03:59 PM
I have had this a ton (yes it sucks!)
and what I just tried is renaming it to another file, then reopening TEdit and inserting it (click alt, then drag it over the red file

Hope this helps!