PDA

View Full Version : Elephant walk help?

digartisan
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm trying to animate a realistic elephant walk in Lightwave. I still think it doesn't look realistic enough but I'm unsure why. I didn't do the model and rig, I'm just animating it.

Can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions?

Here are links to quicktimes of the side and camera views.

http://www.digitalartisan.com.au/elephant

- Lor.

wellsichris
01-10-2005, 10:54 AM
first you have some really nice things going on in the animation. I'm not a pro at animating elephants, but it looks like the timing on the weight of the animal is a little off. it seems like your sinking down because of the weight is just a couple of frames to soon. and the back end of the animal doesn't move as much. if you tracked the nub where the tail is attached it is a line. so maybe put some weight back there aswell. also, your feet. generally things step with their heel and the heels impact forces the front of the foot down... some sections look better than others and it's obvius this is what your are trying to do but on the elephant it seems his feet are turning in the air right before they hit the ground. and then they hit the ground flat footed. it's not every time and it's hard to tell for sure, Like i said though it looks really good, hopefully those little things will make it more realistic.

chris

TheDynamo
01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
After looking at both the profile and camera view of things and drawing forth the rusty remains of zoo memories ;). I can suggest that your walk is too smooth, like the elephant doesn't weigh too much. If you add a more forceful impact for the steps by removing a couple of frames (making it faster) and perhaps using the extra frames to pause the leg once it's landed it would give the elephant a more ponderous nature.

-Rob

Axis3d
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
The step sequence looks good. The only technical thing that I see that is drawing my eye is in the side view. The rear legs look like their joints are popping and/or hyper extending. The leg looks like the joint is bending past its natural stopping point. Other than that, it looks pretty darn good.

digartisan
01-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

I've done some more work on the elephant animation and have done the following things to help it. I've added bounce to the rear feet using the Body Master Null at the back and reduced the front bounce. I've also stiffened up the back legs and given them a better swing by adjusting the in curve instead of adding more frames. I've also lowered the elephant a touch to remove that leg pop.

Thanks guys for noting the detail of the walk and legs popping etc - I've used your comments.

Iv'e uploaded the latest movies for you to see: http://www.digitalartisan.com.au/elephant

Cheers,

Lor.

Mipmap
01-12-2005, 07:11 AM
http://207.30.96.11/images/elephant-walk.jpg

Here is a good image of them walking. Also notice the way they curve their foot up a lot as they bring it forward.