PDA

View Full Version : Final House Images

Lude
01-10-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi guys just thought id post some finished work - No time left :)

Kuzey
01-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Wonderful...looks just like a photo.

Kuzey

Ade
01-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Excellent work.
The only things i dont like is the blurry low rez sky, and the car in first pic as it looks too reflective, and the front door needs some texturing of detail of somesort.

Lighting is very good.

ingo
01-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Nice...looks just like a rendering ;) I agree that the car in the first picture is a bit too reflective, lowpoly cars i assume ? As my clients say at the end of a job, "thats a good starting point...." .

ravantra
01-10-2005, 07:57 AM
I like the rendering very much except for the very reflective car which draws too much attention to itself and the roof. Is it supposed to be a shingle roof? If so then each row should be staggered / offset. Right now it is a grid.

my 2 cents.

art

Nigel Baker
01-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Beautiful Work Lude.

otacon
01-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Looks great. I agree with the points made about the roof, they look like tile. I dont think the car is too reflective, its just that yellow highlight on the back that looks strange.

Lewis
01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
It looks great and really good mood in renders. On top f car reflection comments i'd like to aks why none of houses have water drains (if that's right word). To explain it better - when it's rainy day water fall on roof and then from roof it goes in those water drains (all around e at roof bottom) and than down to ground. In my country every house has them - those models not - why ? :).

Neverthelles it's great work

ingo
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Maybe it never rains in Ireland ?? :D

Lude
01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, all taken on board.

This is the roof tile map, I don't know what you call this type but I will probably stick to flat slate from now on, as I think this type would require modelling to pull it off.

As for the guttering (water drains) they’ve been left out as a bit of a short cut. The company this is done for are gearing up to send a lot more. And they are most concerned with the brick, paving and planting. So were tying to keep it as cost effective as possible.

I think a note of thanks should also go to Nigel for also working on the modelling :)

Has anyone any more comments on the lighting, can it be adjusted to make the shots more real or is it just down to modelling and texture details from here to get more realism.

Currently I’m using MC Radiosity with 2 bounces and 1 area light.

Thanks Lude.

Ramon
01-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Lude,
I like them both.
I especially like the trees and bushes. Where did you get them from (or did you make them yourself -if so how? :)

otacon
01-10-2005, 03:14 PM
I think the lighting is good as far as shadows and intensity. Personally, i think it looks a little too blue...i would make the bright parts a tad more yellowish in color. And thats something you could do in post. Maybe lower the color saturation of the sky as well. If the client likes them, thats all that matters at this point. :)

chuzzlewit
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I agree where did you get the tress and bushes from. Looking good BTW

Lude
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
plants are from good old http://www.doschdesign.com/

kopperdrake
01-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Lude :)

Very nice pics :) Love the lighting...personally think the blue balance is quite accurate for typical UK lighting :) Not often we get a very warm cast over here ;)

I leave drainpipes off as a matter of course for my stuff...clients often find they're distracting.

Love the little details...bell buttons, lights on the garages (might have to start doing that myself if you don't mind ;) ).

One thing I'd do though...it's obvious from the reflections in the windows that nothing is between the horizon and your houses, behind the camera. You can see a dead-straight reflection of the horizon.

My advice, get some scenes set up with default objects/images to reflect. I have one for woodland opposite, you can also get a landscape image to reflect mapped to a big poly, and if it's a street scene sometimes I just place some placeholder houses over the road where needed.

Great though :)

Dunk

Lude
01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
yeah thanks kopperdrake i had some houses and trees but then i started having some memory problems so had to kill them :( - going to buy some more ram lol now

kopperdrake
01-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Hey Lude, I know that problem ;) I could do with more RAM myself but this PC won't handle anymore so it's an upgrade that I need :(

Do you mind me asking how long it took you to model and texture this setup?

Lude
01-11-2005, 06:08 AM
To be honest I’m not sure. For this project we out sourced the main House models as we’re going to be taking on allot of this work so I needed to find a good modeller to help out with the expected work load. You’ll remember my ad here.

My job was building the scene walls drives paths, texturing lighting and adjusting/adding details to the main models e.g. the lights and window brick work.

Textures where about 2 hours each as they where all made especially for the job (well not the roof). As the company this is done for manufacture the brick and paving kerbs. So quite along time.

2 hours might sound like a lot, but by the time you get the repetitiveness out of brick work and make the bumps, test render etc it all adds up. I’ve more work to do on the paving as it is repetitive, just no time left on this project so that will be sorted for the next.

Lude.

vpii
01-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Lude,

Nice renders, my question is do you like the Dosch plants? how fast do they render? From there web site they say they are transparency mapped, I would like to know how big of a hit you take with them in your scene in render time.

kopperdrake
01-11-2005, 06:57 AM
No, I can quite believe 2 hours a texture :) One I'm working on is a similar thing where the developers are using reasonably rare stone-cladding so a standard brick texture from a library won't work. Worse is that there's a huge drive of single colour paviours so in that instance I'm adding offset colour, bump and diffuse channels to try and get rid of any obvious tiling. Took ages!

I like the Dosch plants too! Didn't know they did real 3D ones...I'll have to invest in some :) I already use their cars which come in 3 levels of detail - excellent range of European cars too :)

I remember your post now :) For a second I remembered incorrectly though and thought you were the freelancer they took on...oops :) I may also be trying to find a freelancer this year some time based in the UK, it all depends on a certain client that may move over to me from their existing studio. Thought you might be in the freelance business :)

Ah well!

Lude
01-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi guys,

I think the plants are ok, didn't seam to hit the scene to much (if you don’t go over board – can use up memory if u have loads) but I would take there transparency maps and apply them as a clip instead. Because if the plants have gloss on the leaves you can see a transparent GLOSSED box around them (if u get close-up) - so clip them.

Also I was trying to use 2 sky domes in this scene, 1 to light it and 1 for the clouds set to unseen buy rays. This caused problems with the transparency maps. They would show the lighting dome gradient and not the clouds – but clipping fixed that.

In the end I just used the 1 cloud dome anyway.

kopperdrake
01-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Yep...that's what I do with my trees from XFrog, I guess they insist on using transparency maps as they can be distributed within the object file. I usually go through the trees and create a simple scene for each tree with the clip maps in place rather than the transparency maps. Then I can just reuse them for each project :)

I also use a reasonably low-res skydome to light the scene with radiosity but then drop a hi-res photograph in the final image. That way I can use a massive sky photo (I love photography so am building up a decent collection of Peak District skies) . This decreases render time and allows for a good res sky for large prints. Plus the client can change the sky if they want something more dramatic/overcast etc, and I can tweak the sky colours seperate to the main image...all helps.

Ah...I also tend to turn of radiosity for trees in my scenes to save render time, but light them with a fill light from underneath. Again, makes render times quicker.

Dunk

Nigel Baker
01-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey Ingo,

It never stops raining in Ireland. Well almost never. :)

kopperdrake
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
LOL...so I'veheard :)

vpii
01-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Newtek really should make clip maps inserted into the object instead of scene based. Make life alot more easy for plant type objects.

Hampuss
01-20-2005, 12:52 AM
WOW! I will send you a pic. The first house you have made look just like my neighborhood.

Fritz Arn
01-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Hi Lude

I am a beginner in house modelling and I ask If it would be possible to tell something about the modelling.
Is it modelled without subpatches or with subpatches.
Is there somewhere a tutorial on the net about modelling and texturing houses.

Would be nice when you could give some information about the modelling.

Thanks alot.

Fritz

Lude
01-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi Fritz,

Everyone’s got different ways. But to get u started I would use an image of the floor plan in the background - faded out. Then measure out the floor plan anyway – the image is just a guide (most plans here are still printouts or even done by hand lol).

Place a point on each corner of the walls around the out side. Once that’s done make them into 1 poly, then bevel it up to the full height of the house right up to the roof tops. Then bevel it in 30cm, this creates the width of the outer walls (no y value). Now bevel it again, straight down till it’s about 2cm from the bottom poly – and hey presto the main walls of the house out of which you can cut your windows etc.

Don’t know of any tutorials about building houses worth there salt :( – just worked out my on way of doing it.

Fritz Arn
01-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Thank you very much for the information!!

Fizzer
01-20-2005, 03:42 AM
These are really very nice. Agree about the yellow reflection on the car in the first pic though. Altogether very impressive.