PDA

View Full Version : Deleting captured files problem

ScorpioProd
01-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Do any of the rest of you have this problem?

I work just about exclusively with DV files, and I use chop as my main method of bringing them in. A problem I have always had, that seems to have gotten worse with VT[4] and no better with VT[4]SP1 is that after I capture a DV file, if I go to delete it from the capture bin, VT[4] plain won't let me! It will come back with "error deleting file" or some such bull like that. I have to exit all the way out of VT and delete it manually in Windows.

If this happened only once in a great while, it wouldn't be a problem, but it happens A LOT.

Jim Capillo
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
If this happened only once in a great while, it wouldn't be a problem, but it happens A LOT.

Same here, Eugene.... and I work just with rtv's, so it doesn't have anything to do with file type. It is VERY exasperating to have to exit VT and delete files.

I hope this is a bug, not a "feature" or "convenience", because it is anything but that.

I've asked before, but will do so again......

Newtek: PLEASE fix this so we can delete files within the program :mad:

bradl
01-09-2005, 07:36 PM
There seems to be improvements in this file locking behavior in SP1 but I have not documented it just seems a little less trouble than VT4 release version as it would lock all kinds of files. This may not apply, Eugene, to your exact situation but you can not delete any file that is currently 'used' in certain modules.

I mostly run into this with BC when I try to deleted a problem clip I just captured so the numbering doesn't go haywire (which it does for me in BC often). What I do to workaround is delete the entry in BC, then I am free to delete the clip in Filebin, then I go back to BC and UNDO so I can capture it again. PIA but it works.

Obviously, clips on a Timeline or DDR will also trigger a delete lockout, but I was seeing, as you mentioned, way too many lockouts on clips not loaded or bolded with VT4, but it seems a bit better with SP1.

ScorpioProd
01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah, I realize in other situations the file would be correctly locked, but not the one I describe.

I have told Newtek about this problem many times in the past.

So far I don't see an improvement with SP1, but I'll let you know, cause I'm capturing a ton of clips right now.

kleima
01-09-2005, 09:23 PM
I have run into this once in a while on all version of VT that I can remember, so I don't think it is just something with VT[4].

Rich Deustachio
01-09-2005, 11:11 PM
This has been a problem since VT2 and still remains in VT4. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I find I will have to close down VT4 and delete the file from windows.

JReble
01-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Yup. Same here, since VT2 at least. Usually jump over to explorer to delete them, but in that case the associated VT info stuff remains on the drives. Not sure those are deleted even when VT deletes the file properly. Some of those pieces sure can add up.

DonN
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Same here.
Ive made numerous pleas directly to the staff and Andrew about this rediculous situation. FOR YEARS!!!
To no avail so far...
VERY VERY BAD, NEWTEK.

Delete file. Is that so hard??????????????
Don