PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Objects

sjon
01-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Perhaps I need my head examined, but…why,please tell me why, is my Items>Add>Dynamic Objects button grayed out? I would sure like to play with a particle emitter, but I can't seem to access it because the Dynamic Object button is grayed out. (It's probably something like I didn't turn the ignition key far enough to the right or something.)

LW [8.1] - G5 DP 2.5 GHz - lots of everything.

Sjon

BeeVee
01-09-2005, 03:13 AM
You need to restore your configs. Hit Alt F11, do a scan directory; hit Alt F10, check you're in default; hit Alt F9, make sure you're in default.

B

sjon
01-16-2005, 02:36 PM
I just had to set the wind, gravity, emitter, partigon tools under the Dyn. Obj. button and all was well. Why is it that the obvious things are the ones that smack us upside the head?

Sjon

eblu
01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
You need to restore your configs. Hit Alt F11, do a scan directory; hit Alt F10, check you're in default; hit Alt F9, make sure you're in default.

B

beevee,
I have the SAME problem.

the menus aren't the issue though. Lightwave misplaces the plugins. it still has them and will still run them, but not all the time, and not through the menus. Just reloading the plug-ins won't fix it.

assigning the default menu will DELETE many menu items in 8.0 and 8.0.1. I repeat the default menu option is NOT up to date with the menus in 8.0.1 it removes an unknown amount of menuItems, and complicates the original problem.

btw: your solution did not solve the problem, after following your advice,
the default menus are missing clone hierarchy at the very least, and as I have been without the correct menus for some time, its been difficult to figure out just what else is missing... and dynamic objects is still not working.

sjon
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I tried the resetting default routine suggested and it didn't work for me, either, but what follows did.

1. Open Edit>Configure Menus
2. Use the Search function to find the following:
a. Add Collision Effector
b. Add Wind Effector
c. Add Gravity Effector
d. Add Particle Emitter
As you find each of these items, drag them from the Command window to the Menus window and place them under Main Menu>Items>Add>Dynamic Objects.
3. Close the Configure Menus window (click the Done button)

Your Dynamic Obj button will be active.

eblu
01-18-2005, 05:42 AM
sjon,
thats all well and good. in fact that does fix the problem with the dynamic objects, but it ignores probably my biggest problem... my menus are now wiped. resetting the menus to the 'default' setup took away quite a few options, and there is no way to know whats missing, so theres no way to get my menus back to their default settings.
I just wanted beevee to know that his advice could make things worse in the long run.

sjon, out of curiosity... you tried beevee's advice of resetting the default menus right? have you lost the "clone hierarchy" menu item too? I'm not in front of LW right now but, it should be below the clone object button.

BeeVee
01-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Eblu,

I'm guessing that this is a Mac version problem since resetting to defaults on the PC version of LightWave results in no problems and a fixed Dynamic Objects menu. I shall make sure I make that precision next time I advise someone to reset their menus thank you. I shall also ask if the default menus have been corrected in forthcoming versions of LightWave for the macintosh.

B

eblu
01-18-2005, 01:16 PM
beevee,
its a bit late for the 8.2 version of LW as it just shipped, but thanks in any case.

sjon
01-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Clone Heirarchy was also missing (used the same routine to replace it).

I am (when I receive 8.2) going to rebuild all my menu items and save them off as a separate file so that I can restore them when needed. I love LW8, but there are still some serious bugs to work out.

Sjon

eblu
01-18-2005, 01:51 PM
thanks for the feedback sjon.

my issue is that I use the default menus that ship with Lightwave. I do that because I don't want to get screwed by getting used to something and then losing it when Lightwave eventually eats my menus and destroys the file that I saved. This has happened in every instance I have EVER done this going back to 6.5... and I tried to do it a lot.

Now however, I have No idea what the default shipping menus are. I get really frustrated, when I am doing something and think "man it would be nice if LW did this" only later to find out that it does, it just doesn't have it as a menu option... for me, but everybody else has it. lets just say I can't really type out my reaction to those events.