PDA

View Full Version : endomorphs & Hardfx

heynewt
01-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I have an object in Layout with 1 endomporph I'm using with Morph Mixer. When I apply HardFX to the object (it has to morph just before it gets broken up) the object loses all morping information and simplly goes back to its "Base" no matter what I have set up in Morph Mixer.

In other words, HardFX and endomorph are not working together at all on the same object. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Robert Newton

SplineGod
01-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Try switching the order that each is executed. If morphmixer is applied first and Hardfx second, try changing which is first.

heynewt
01-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Larry, thanks for that suggestion, but it didn't affect anything. I tried removing all, and changing the order in which I applied the two effects, but the endomorph effect was still lost.

Both effects show up in the "Add Displacement" list in the object properties tab. I can move them up and down, but it doesn't change anything. If I turn "off" the hardFX by unchecking it, then the morph immediately happens. Turn it "on" and the morph goes away. Weird.

Robert Newton

Dodgy
01-09-2005, 07:20 AM
This is a bug IMHO, hardfx doesn't seem to play nicely with other deformations unless their after it and even then not always. I've emailed NT about this.

heynewt
01-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Dodgy thanks, especially for notifying Newtek about this. Maybe this is one they're going to have fixed in the soon-to-be-released 8.2. We can hope.

Robert

SplineGod
01-09-2005, 03:28 PM
heynewt,
What exactly are you trying to do in your scene? That might help in coming up with an alternative way to do things.
Another option would be to apply FXMotion to your object and morph it. FXMotion will make your object behave like a particle but at least the morphs work. :)

heynewt
01-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Well,

It's simple. I have to animate a circuit board flexing and the solder runs bending then cracking and eventually a small section of them breaking. I showed the client a test where I used HardFX on the small breaking section where the pieces exploded when they broke (the broken section was a separate object). Of course the client loved it, definitely wants that effect. Then I thought, hey, I'll just do a morph for the bending of the circuit board and the solder runs and the broken section - just morph all at the same time. That's when the problems started.

BUT... I've figured out the just-as-easy way to do it is to use bones to bend the circuit board and parts. At least in theory that should solve my problem. I'll let you know if it really works.

Robert

Dodgy
01-09-2005, 10:21 PM
C4 is also a good way of getting something to explode... Look for it on Flay.com, it's free!

heynewt
01-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Yes, I use C4 all the time. It's great. Thanks.

Robert